Monday 1 July 2024

The Books That I Read in June ... and the Shopping Totals

 


I started the month reading The Wartime Kitchen Garden by Jennifer Davies 

I have to admit to never reading it from cover to cover before even though I have owned it for years, I always just dipped in now and then to find certain things.  It was absolutely fascinating and I really enjoyed it and learnt so much more about the war years.  I also watched the accompanying series on YouTube.  Both are highly recommended.


Next I read Foster by Claire Keegan, it is another very powerful short book by this brilliant author.  I love her writing, words used so well are captivating.  I found this book so moving that I immediately went on to watch The Quiet Girl, an award winning film based on the short story.  This was equally good.


My third book of the month was Poor by Katriona O'Sullivan, which was another great read.  I do seem to be on a roll reading some of my best books this month.  All these books are keepers and have gone back on their various bookshelves.


My final read of the month, and one that has taken me quite some time over the course of a couple of weeks to finish is The Dandelion Years by Erica James.  She's a good writer and I've read a few of her books in the past, this one took me a couple of chapters to really get into but then I was hooked.  I have to be honest and say that I still have the last chapter to read ...  but I think I can guess the ending. ๐Ÿ˜€

I don't read a lot of fiction so I am quite ruthless in what I keep for a re-read, as I bought this from the £1 charity book table in Booths that's where I'll be dropping it off again next time I'm in there.  It was a good read on these pretty chilly Summer days that we've been having.


Finally to bring us bang up to date for the end of last month, my final two shopping trips.  This little lot was from Booths and cost me £18.18.  As you can tell we are still in sandwich and snack territory while we continue to visit Mum regularly.


I got another little freebie because of being a Booths cardholder, seemingly worth 50p.  It meant one load of clothes got washed last week at no cost to me.


My final shop of last week and of the month of June, was this one costing me £19.73 from Sainsbury's.  Typically just as I treated myself to some ice-cream and Cornetto's which were on offer, the weather turned cold and so they are still in my freezer.

In total last week I spent £37.91

The grand total for the month of June was over my monthly budget at £117.51.  

So half way through my £100 a month year I have £44.57 in my little change pot,  thank goodness I did so well and got ahead in the first few months, it's a good little buffer to try and keep me on track.


Sue xx




14 comments:

  1. It’s never too cold for ice cream! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, usually I would agree, but I think I've just been enjoying the comfort of hot cups of coffee recently. So hot in fact that half way through the cup I've been zapping it in the microwave. ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete
  2. Lovely books, thanks for the recommendations.
    I think I spotted choc covered rice cakes in your shop? I love the sweet/salty rice cakes from M ans S.......I used to buy the Kallo ones years ago whenever I was on a 'cutdown ' only thing is they are very moreish aren't they? ๐Ÿ˜
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are far too moreish, I think it could actually be illegal to eat just one. ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed one of Claire Keegans books in the past so have reserved Foster.
    Hope your Mum is doing better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good read, I hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

      Delete
  4. I too have had the wartime K&G book for years. But I confess that I read the kitchen part often, and ignored the gardening. Now I've been bitten by the gardening bug I must "dig it out" again. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a 'proper' read. It made me sad to think I'd had it for for long and not given it a proper chance. ๐Ÿค”

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the books. I too love those chocolate covered rice cakes especially the M and S which come in two sizes. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go and find some of the M&S ones, they've been mentioned a couple of times ... they must be good. :-)

      Delete
  6. Those all look like very interesting reads.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read four books, but yes they were all good reads. :-)

      Delete
  7. You didn't go too much over your budget and you still have some savings to dip into if needed.
    I've watched the Wartime Kitchen and Garden on YouTube, but, haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good having that little safety buffer in my pot, just in case I get extravagant. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.