Monday 15 July 2024

So Much Food, Minimalist Kitchen ... and Even MORE Shopping

 


I took this photo the other day in my kitchen, mostly to show the fridge and so I could explain my plan to save money for the rest of the month and instead of shopping eat up the contents of my fridge and freezer, and to encourage myself to stop blowing my money on things that I don't really need.


I even photographed the inside, just like I used to do when I was setting myself a 'Challenge'.


Yep, the door too.  😄


And even one of the three freezer drawers, to show that even though they aren't bursting at the seams like they used to be, they are still pretty full.


Then up on my Facebook Memories popped my kitchen as it was three years ago.


Wasn't it lovely and bare ... unusable but deliciously minimalist.  😀

I do love Facebook Memories each day for reminding you of what you were up to, the good and the bad.


Then on Saturday morning we decided to take Mavis for her first solo walk on Morecambe promenade.  She has been out and about with us virtually every day since we lost Suky, and although she's still sad and not eating properly, she's getting used to being a lone dog during the day and sleeping close to Ginger at night.

It was cool enough for us to be able to leave her in the car for 15 minutes so she could rest after the walk, so we went into Morrisons somewhere that we worked out we haven't been into for about five years.  We both went a little bit mad buying things that we fancied for the weekend, and I blew another £20.74 on this little lot.  I didn't really need it, but I was hungry ... and we all know what that means!!


Once home I put myself a little snacky plate together to eat while I avoided all the sport on the television and watched some Dexter episodes on Netflix.  And although it was a bit stodgy, it really hit the spot.

Now that I have all the new food purchases in the fridge, freezer and cupboard I have strengthened my resolve not to go over budget this month, or for the rest of the year if possible.  So, of this month's £100 I have a grand total of £4.95 left.

That should be fine, I really, really, really do not need to buy any more food!!


Sue xx

  


18 comments:

  1. It's fatal going into food shops, isn't it - I bet the cashiers get fed up with having customers say "I only came in for one thing!" haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is!! We both went a bit berserk, although it made for a tasty weekend. :-)

      Oh yes, I bet they hear that multiple times in a day!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to hear about Mavis .
    I like FB memories too, feels like especially as we get older 😉😁 It's nice to have the prompts that say 'remember this?'
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regularly show them to Alan and remind him of things we have done as his memory is terrible and the photos help jog it.

      Delete
  3. I did a freezer inventory at the weekend - I have three freezers!!!!! Husband helped and we worked out, with my very full pantry cupboard in the garage and the contents of the kitchen cupboards I probably only need to buy fruit, veg, milk and bread until the end of September. I MUST stop buying food I don't really need. The trouble is I can't resist a bargain especially if ( as meat eaters ) I see meat which has been heavily reduced. I tell myself I'm saving money but the reality is, I'd save more if I didn't buy it!! : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, three freezers, I have three drawers. Mind you Alan has three drawers in his too and they're all pretty full. Think of all the money you would save by just living off the contents of the freezer ... enough to restock it in October. 😄

      I bought far too much food in the past, and as you can see I'm still getting tempted by things I don't really need. 😂

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know haha ... I think I can do it if I use the money for something fresh next week. 😀

      Delete
  5. Yes we've had some disaster shops when hungry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lethal isn't it, a real rookie mistake by me. Gosh I'm bad enough when I'm not hungry. 😄

      Delete
  6. I love the colour of you kitchen cupboards, contemporary and soothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes I still love my kitchen. ❤️

      Delete
  7. I think one good thing about paying £4 for an online delivery from Waitrose every two weeks is that I make no impulse buys. When I shopped at Sainsbury’s I was a disaster as I used to buy clothes and household goods as well as food. At least you will eat the food and not bin it like so many people do without a thought! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I used to be so tempted with the clothes in Sainsbury's when we lived near a large store. Thankfully/sadly ours only sells food and a few stationery and seasonal items. I guess I should be grateful. 😂

      Delete
  8. I'm glad Mavis has Ginger to keep her company. Sometimes, we need to splurge a little. Don't be too hard on yourself for buying the food that you did. I'm sure it would be fine if you "borrowed" a bit from next month's grocery budget. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make a good pair and are helping each other through this confusing time for them.

      I am determined to stick to my budget. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.