Friday 5 July 2024

The First Shopping of July

 


The first shopping of July was done at Sainsbury's as I had offers of extra Nectar points on a few of the things I needed.  I spent a total of £18.58 and hopefully ... alongside everything already in the freezer and cupboards ... enough food in now for the rest of the week.

'Hopefully' she says ... more like most definitely!! 😄

The yellow-stickered oven-bottom muffins have gone straight into the freezer so I can use them one at a time as and when I need a bun for my lunch.  I always try and have a microwaveable rice pouch in the cupboard for those nights when tea has to be ready in minutes and at 45p each they are a bargain from Sainsbury's.  I remember when you had to pay well over a pound for the luxury of almost instant rice.

I decided to buy a pack of cod fillets this week to stop Alan tempting me with a chippy tea again.  After all it's far more economical for me to make us exactly the same at home.  I have fish, chips and garden peas, and Alan has fish, chips garden peas, a battered sausage and a little pot of curry sauce ... all easily replicated at home.


Just before I went into Sainsbury's I got this months £100 in cash from the cashpoint outside the store, and look who's now on our £20 notes.  It's nice to see King Charles alongside his Mum on our currency.  It's a very nice picture of him.


Sue xx


12 comments:

  1. Ooh! I've yet to see a Kings note "in the flesh" I do remember years ago, when we had the Duke of Wellington 9n £5 notes, there was a way of folding them and you ended up with top of his head over the Queen's mouth, and it looked just like Charles.
    The question this morning is, will we get better value for money from the new Government? We stayed up till 5.30 watching the results come in (a perk of retirement!) It felt like 1997

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh,you must be SO tired now. I'm afraid I just checked the News at Ten and then went to bed. Checking in again at 8am after feeding the dogs and Ginger. It seems I woke to a whole new set of politics. How it will affect my company and then retirement next year remains to be seen. 🤔

      Delete
  2. It feels like the prices at our chippy have escalated and escalated - it’s certainly not a cheap treat .
    I need to get better organised with my food and food budget
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been costing around £17 for our usual order, a lot of money when you think my weekly shopping budget is just £25. It's a good job Alan pays. Voluntarily, I hasten to add. 😄

      Delete
  3. Like you I now try to replicate good old fish n chips at home, OH loves his mushy peas and I prefer garden peas, he must have two slices of bread and butter on the side........I don't in order to try to keep the calories down 😄
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love a good old chip butty, but now I find it's much too filling along with any other things. So occasionally I just have that for my tea, nice and simple and very satisfying. Alan likes his peas either way, but like you I much prefer garden peas.

      Delete
  4. I did some shopping in M and S food hall yesterday as it was convenient. The fruit is already all ripe and I see a banana loaf being made very soon! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, that sounds delicious. 😀

      Delete
  5. I noticed that just today - as you say, a nice picture. Maybe rather younger looking than reality but all the same, nice. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a very flattering image of him, but then that's what we would all choose to use isn't it. 😄

      Delete
  6. You did well with your first shopping trip in July.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.