Saturday 20 July 2024

No Shopping ... Well Maybe Minimal Shopping!!

 


I mentioned briefly the other day at the end of my post that I had just £4.95 of my monthly food budget to last me until the end of the month, and do you know what, I have decided that I am going to stick to it.  😃

So in an effort to see what I had in fresh stuff department, I went through the fridge drawers to see how much I already had.  The vegetable drawer looks very good and considering I also have quite a few bags of frozen vegetables languishing in the freezer (I also sorted out the freezer during my stock check) I think I will manage pretty well.  

The peppers had me wondering a bit as I didn't remember buying them.  There's been a lot going on here, and they had obviously been hidden at the back of the drawer for quite a while.  Looking back at my shopping posts it seems they were bought on the 3rd June, and the little tomatoes are nearly as old.

The fruit and cheese drawer is looking a little sparse, but then I don't eat that much fruit really.  The little pot of chopped fruit were part of a Meal Deal that Alan bought the other day and gave to me as he didn't eat it.

I think I'll do just fine, there were just a couple of things that I really wanted for the end of this week.


So when Alan asked me if there was anything that I needed from Aldi I asked him to get me an Ancient Grains loaf - 99p.

Later when we called into Sainsbury's to get something for Mum, I picked up two bananas for me ... my only real fruit addiction at the moment.  They are cheaper in Sainsbury's as you buy them by weight, in Aldi they are 16p each regardless of size and when I only want a couple of small ones it seems daft to buy them from there.

Bananas - 26p for the two.


I needed a couple more as I have been having banana, yogurt and peanut butter for breakfast quite a lot recently to use up the big pot of yogurt that I bought last week.

So adding this £1.25 total to my £20.74 Morrisons shopping spree from the weekend, my final spend for this week is £21.99.

Which means that of this months £100 shopping allowance I have the grand total £3.70 to spend next week ... if I need to.  It seems that this has turned into a proper Challenge, and you know how much I love a challenge. 😄


Sue xx



24 comments:

  1. looks good and I have now doubt you will be successful with your plan which is "not-a-challenge"

    Like you, do not eat a lot of fruit (but the veggie drawer has spilled over to occupy 2/3rd of the fridge!) however occasionally I fancy fruit and yoghurt like yours. When S/bugs had frozen fruit on offer I bought a couple of bags and am surprised how good it was. I put a portion in a bowl and when defrosted just bung the yoghurt on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grrr - NO doubt, not now doubt!

      Delete
    2. I think that somehow it has now turned into a full-blown Challenge. :-)

      I might just get some frozen fruit in the not too distant future, it would make a nice change from bananas and it's so much cheaper to get berries etc frozen rather than fresh isn't it.

      Delete
    3. Haha ... now I know you wouldn't doubt!!

      Delete
  2. You'll do it - what a lovely lot of supplies you already have in.
    I dearly love fruit or fruit and yogurt for breakfast - so refreshing in this warmer weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SMEG fridge is really good at keeping vegetables and salad stuff fresh for a long time, I am very lucky as some of these should have been eaten weeks ago! Yes, fruit and yogurt is a lovely Summery breakfast isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  3. I daren't say how much we spend in a week, but it all goes, we do eat a lot of fruit, but well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only eat this cheaply due to over-excessive shopping in the past. As long as all your food goes it is obviously money well spent and food enjoyed, which is the main thing.

      Delete
  4. I am always in awe of your food challenges. That Aldi loaf looks tasty. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's turned into a proper Challenge hasn't it. :-)

      The Ancient Grains loaf is really tasty, but I've noticed they have started slicing it much thicker which I'm not as keen on for sandwiches, although it makes for great toast.

      Delete
  5. I love your food challenges! They always inspire me to do better :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say, thank you. I think I'm trying to inspire myself this time, I do get waylaid quite frequently and it's good to make yourself think about what your eating and how you are using things up isn't it.

      Delete
  6. Love the vegetable drawer and I immediately thought I’d make a pizza with some of the contents. I’m sure you’ll be able to manage your challenge with the resources you have. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of using that half garlic bread as a pizza base but then I got lazy and ate it just as it was. I have plans to roast the old peppers and the softest of the tomatoes, along with the garlic so I might use some of the naan breads that I have in the freezer as a base instead. It would make a lovely topping.

      Delete
  7. Lots of tasty meals there. I like to buy loose vegetables, a sweet potato, just enough carrots or parsnips. I made my favourite red soup with tomato, celery, onion, and red lentils and a sweet potato. I freeze tomato purée in an ice cube tray so none of the tube gets wasted.
    We went to Sainsbury’s superstore yesterday for the milk and a walk out of the heat. I did well with some yellow-stickered vegetables, and refrained from buying more meat for the freezer. In the evening I sat and dabbled my feet in some cold water in a bucket, with a damp flannel round my neck. Dinner was a crunchy salad and cottage cheese with some basic range salted peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it much better to buy smaller quantities of vegetables these days rather than bags of them, especially potatoes as they sprout so quickly in this weather don't they. Your soup and dinner both sound delicious! Yes, Sainsbury's is beautifully cold isn't it ... but I'm going to try and refrain from going, I'll only be tempted to spend.

      Delete
  8. That loaf looks lovely! I'[ve never thought of combining peanut butter and yoghurt, interesting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely delicious together, especially with sliced banana ... give it a go. :-)

      Delete
  9. Well done on the shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very minimal shopping this time and hopefully no more this month. :-)

      Delete
  10. I'm sure you'll manage with what's left in your budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might just surprise myself and stay away from the shops. :-)

      Delete
  11. It will be a breeze for you Sue:) Love how tidy your fridge always looks♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to get even tidier by the end of the week. 😄

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.