Monday 1 January 2024

A New Year, A New Blog, A New Way

 


A new year and one that I wanted to be even simpler, slightly different and to be able to blog in.  Due to work related issues I have had to find a new way to post about my doings, and my comings and goings, and what easier way to do this than to simply ... for now ... post about my two favourite activities in the world, eating good food and reading good books.

I chose the name for this blog simply because I do not think you have to spend lots of money to eat well.

  Good food is food mostly bought as ingredients, eaten in season and cooked simply.  Not necessarily from the cheapest shops but bought in the right amounts so that there is no wastage, so that every little bit of what you buy is used and enjoyed.

I'm no angel, and I won't pretend that a Pot Noodle never passes my lips, that a yellow stickered microwaveable ready-meal never enters the house.  But like many, I do my best to eat good food most of the time.  An 80/20 rule is a good one to follow in my humble opinion.

So this blog is going to be all about the food I buy, the food I cook and the food I eat and share.  For the first time in years I have set myself no Challenges, I can spend exactly what I want to each time I go to the shops.  But I will, as usual, be mindful of cost and try to keep the money I am handing over as small an amount as possible.  Each week I will try to remember to photograph the shopping as it is brought into the house and tell you how much it cost ... and if I remember to menu plan I will share that too.

I am not striving to empty cupboards in a rush, I am instead menu planning from them and the fridge/freezer and just buying any additional things I need to turn what I already own into tasty nutritious meals.  As always as I tumble into January and a brand new year, the cupboard is full, the freezer almost full ... but unusually for me the fridge is quite bare, well except for a plethora of dairy-free cheeses and spread that should keep me going for a few months.

As for the reading part of this brand new blog ... well I have a new bookcase to fill so as the Christmas decorations come down I will be re-organising my shelves and reacquainting myself with some old favourites.  If I go missing for longer than you expect I will most likely be found in a corner, surrounded by books reading ... and perhaps snacking on something tasty.

Thank you for joining me on this new adventure.


Sue xx



36 comments:

  1. Happy new year Sue. You're so right about good food being good ingredients, in season and cooked simply. The excesses and stodge of Christmas, and the amount of ready meals I've bought and consumed whilst I was busy packing have given me a craving for fresh and simple real food, for which I'm thankful! I look forward to reading your posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christmas was far too stodgy for me, all my own doing of course, but stodgy nevertheless. Back to nice simple fair from now on ... and no more alcohol !!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year!
    Looking forward to reading your new blog and I'm glad you couldn't stay away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you Sue. I'm like the proverbial bad penny, I keep rolling back.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you've found a comfortable spot to blog from. If a blog becomes a chore to produce, then it shouldn't continue - but whilst it remains a happy space to chat with friends and share ideas then long may it last. And food & books are both important. Somebody (apologies if it was you) recently posted a great picture with the caption "A balanced diet is a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only chore was how much I could and should share, I do love blogging, but the sector that my company is in is not very social media friendly with current world events. That quote is brilliant, not one of mine, but perhaps I've used something similar in the past. For me it would be 'a book in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other'. :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Sue! I try to stick to the 80/20 rule too and cook from scratch. A blog about about food and books sounds perfect to me :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Ali. xx
      You can't go wrong with food and books can you ... well unless it's some sort of spillage of one on the other. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year to you Sue and all you love.

    I definitely agree with your sentiment about buying the correct amount of food so nothing is wasted. Gone are the days of tossing half of what you bought ‘cheaply or at a good price’ because it had spoiled for the simple reason it hadn’t been consumed quickly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I've always been quite on the ball with no food wastage, but mistakes can and do happen. That's why my shopping habits are changing this year. A very Happy New Year to you too. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year and it's good to have you back at a place that suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Carol, it's nice to be back. xx

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year and I look forward to following what you are getting up to. I need to eat more healthy this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Yvonne. xx

      I definintely need to eat more vegetables this year, it's something I've always been notoriously bad at.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year looking forward to reading. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever you choose to share is always hugely welcomed. Over the years I have learned so much from you, about so many different things.
    May the future bring you health, happiness, love and laughter.
    big hugs, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely thank you. All the very best for the New Year to you, hubby and of course Blue Bus too ... there are many adventures ahead for you all I hope. xx

      Delete
  10. You have put it all in a nutshell, Sue, and may you relish the new blog and calm way of life. Personally, I feel that 2023 was horrendous in more ways than one and I'm glad to see the back of it. I intend only to worry about things I can change and not about EVERYTHING !
    A book and a cuppa, and a read of your blog will be enough for me!
    Happy new year to you, Alan and the family. May it be healthy, happy and full of fun. Angie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you, hubby and family a healthy and happy New Year ahead. It can only be better than last year can't it. My cousin lost her Dad in 2022, her Mum in 2023, but she is starting 2024 with her first grandchild being born on 29th December, so our whole family is seeing it as a fresh new start.

      To be honest I have never seen the point in worrying about things, as they say worrying is like a rocking chair ... it gives you something to do but it doesn't actually get you anywhere. But to my mind at least a rocking chair is fun, worry is just draining.

      Delete
  11. If I may add crafting to my list, you are talking about two of my favourite topics in life too! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to quite enjoy crafting when I had my shop and sold what I made, then I fell out with it and sold off all my supplies, it was very liberating. :-)

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year, and I am glad you are back and posting once again. Food, books and like Catriona add in crafting for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is a very popular hobby isn't it, I'm glad you both enjoy it. Happy New Year Jackie. xx

      Delete
  13. Helpful topics, Sue, and I hope you find it fun to blog about! Hope there will be recipes, too,. We're seeking to drop some pounds in the coming year to be kind to oour knees and other joints.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find any good recipes that work well for me I will share them. Oh yes, I need to drop a few pounds too, at least 19 by the end of the year ... fingers crossed.

      Delete
  14. I'm looking forward to your new year new blog........and even though I'm into my sixties and consider myself to be a good plain cook , I often feel stuck in a foodie rut so find your food planning and prepping posts very interesting x Happy New Year x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get stuck in a rut too ... especially being lazy if I have fresh bread in the house, I could live off sandwiches. We're a similar age but it's nice to find new things to try isn't it.

      Happy New Year Alison. xx

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year♥ It's lovely to see you back blogging. Food and books are right up my alley although I have too many books and indulge in too much food!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. xx

      I have had a lot more food than usual over Christmas, well it feels like a lot, but maybe it was just more stodgy than I'm used too ... is there such a thing as too many books!! :-)

      Delete
  16. Happy New Year to you both and welcome back. I look forward to reading your new jottings, as I have missed popping in. What could be better than good, simple food and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Janice, nice to have you here. xx

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very happy to be here with you. Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you too. Nice to have you here. xx

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.