Friday 12 January 2024

A Week's Worth of Breakfasts

 

I don't know about anyone else but I sometimes find breakfast the hardest meal to decide on.  I rarely add it to any week's meal planner as I just never know what I am going to fancy an hour or so after I wake up.  Is it going to be a hot thing or a cold thing, a cereal thing or a savoury thing ... I just don't know until I wake up and have my first couple of drinks.

I always start the day with a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon and then move swiftly on to a mug of coffee, only then can I ponder the food that I am fancying.

So I thought I would photograph an entire weeks breakfasts and see for myself how random my choices were.


The first day was the tomatoes and onion on toast shown on the top photo, which started off like this, with the tomatoes and onion sautéed gently until they were deliciously soft and then poured over some hummus spread toast.

Messy to look at, delicious to eat, and very satisfying.


The next day was just plain and simple porridge, not additions other than a level teaspoon of soft brown sugar.


The following day I fancied something quite substantial so I scrambled one egg in the microwave and cooked a couple of Linda McCartney Lincolnshire sausages.  With a dollop of the tomato sauce this was lovely.


The next day and the frying pan was back out.  Once again it was red onion and two more tomatoes that needed using up, with a light sprinkle of garlic and onion granules to add some extra flavour.


This time I spread my toast with some of the Basil Pesto that I had opened in the fridge.

A very tasty and very garlicky breakfast.  😃


The following day I was back to porridge, this time cooked with some frozen banana pieces and a dash of cinnamon powder.  There's no photo of the finished bowl of porridge, it was early ... I forgot!!


The next day I decided on some scrambled eggs, cooked this time in a pan on the hob with lots of the Naturli spread and lots of pepper and salt.

For the final day of the week there's no photo of my actual breakfast as we were staying at Beck Hall, the first totally plant-based hotel in England.  

We chose from their beautiful breakfast menu. My choice was scrambled tofu with beans, sausage, hash browns and grilled tomato, and Alan had just beans, sausage and mushrooms as he was still full from the three course meal we had eaten the night before.  With copious refills of our coffee cups it was just what we needed before we headed for home after a lovely night away for Alan's birthday.

So that's what a week of breakfasts for me looks like.

What is your favourite breakfast, do you eat the same thing everyday or do you chop and change like me?


Sue xx



25 comments:

  1. Usually cereal or toast during the week. Saturdays, a full English and Sundays croissants. Sometimes Bob will have a boiled egg or two. Every couple of months, if they are on offer, kippers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds like a very good plan. I love the taste of kippers but all the little bones put me right off, which is a shame as because I am still without a sense of smell at the moment, the lingering smell in the house wouldn't be a problem. :-)

      Delete
  2. Very boring here. Smoothies mostly Monday to Friday, cereal Saturday, toast Sunday. Usually cereal on food shop day as we leave early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice healthy start to the day isn't it. I tend to have smoothies in Summer but not so much at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Same thing, every single morning: I bulk-cook a Lentil & Spinach dahl, freeze it into daily portions which take no time at all to heat up. Done this for so long it is automatic to take out tomorrow’s portion to defrost slowly when I get today’s from the fridge.
    Very spicy, plant-based, does not spike my blood sugar and keeps me full and my glucose stable until lunchtime. Just as easy to manage whether I am at home or out in the van. (Have even cooked a new supply outside the campervan next to a Scottish loch when I was away for more than a few days!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you've reminded me how much I loved dahl and rice for breakfast when I did the refugee Ration Challenge. It makes a nice tasty and satisfying start to the day doesn't it. I need to get back to that again.

      Delete
  4. I chop and change a lot! Sometimes I'll have eggs in various forms, porridge, leftovers from the previous day, anything really. I've even had soup on extra cold mornings when I've had cold!! It's all just food :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that, since I stopped thinking of just 'breakfast food' I have been eating all sorts of things in the mornings. Food really is just food at any time of the day isn't it. It's such a shame we are almost brainwashed by the advertisers into thinking that only cereals and certain foods are just for breakfast.

      Delete
  5. Like Ali above I chop and change. Porridge, yes with rather too much Demerara sugar, toast with my own made marmalade, cooked breakfast, especially if it comes with fried bread which I now do quickly and with no fuss in the air fryer ..............cold cereal occasionally, used to make my own granola but now rather nervous of the crunch with aging teeth 😄 The tomatoes and onion look delicious, that would be especially nice when the homegrown are available in summer.
    Ps this morning I had a very tasty, calorific Almond Croissant from Lidl!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo I do love an almond croissant!! My fave ones are from Waitrose (only buy with a yellow sticker!) but the Lidl ones are pretty good! :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. I used to love a thick layer of sugar on top of my porridge, but these days with less of a sweet tooth, it's just a sprinkle now and then if I feel I need a sugar hit to get me going. I haven't had fried bread for ages, I need to make myself some. An almond croissant sounds like a lovely breakfast.

      Delete
    3. Ali and Alison, I have to admit to you both that i have never had an almond croissant, normal ones yes, but never an almond one. Now I feel like I'm missing out!! ;-)

      Delete
    4. Well worth every calorie 😀😘 X
      Alison x

      Delete
  6. I'm fine with breakfasts; it's lunches that baffle me sometimes.
    The Birthday Breakfast looks amazing - many happy returns to Alan. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just recently I have started switching round my lunches and evening meals, having the larger one in the middle of the day sometimes feels just right. He had a great birthday thanks, now he just has to put up with all the teasing about his new grand old age. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Beck Hall looks and sounds wonderful.
    Me? Whatever fruit came in the Lidl Waste Not box accompanied by Greek yoghurt and sunflower seeds unless we've been swimming then it's a Wetherspoon's small vegetarian breakfast or smashed avocado on a toasted muffin with a poached egg and rocket and on a Sunday it's two slices of wholemeal toast with Whole Earth peanut butter or Lidl's not-marmite. I'm a creature of habit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, it was wonderful knowing that everything was totally dairy-free for me, all I had to watch out for was avocado and they listed that as an allergy for me and checked every dish I ordered. I do love peanut butter on toast too, it's my go to breakfast if I'm in a rush or don't know what I fancy. I just have to put up with two drooling dogs while I eat it as they both LOVE peanut butter.

      Delete
  8. My breakfasts usually consist or yogurt one day, toast the next, and oatmeal the day after. Then I start all over again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three is a good number so you don't get fed up with same thing, but not too many that you need to buy lots of different groceries. 😀

      Delete
  9. Hello! What a neat post! Since my husband retired, he has been making breakfast! I usually request scrabbled eggs, whole grain toast, and clementines. Every now and again, it is a doughnut, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to share the meal prep out isn't it, breakfast made for you each day is great. Who knew the hardest part of being an adult was going to be choosing what meals to make for everyone 😀

      Delete
  10. Hi Sue, so glad you decided to keep blogging. I missed you! ~Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying it out , but keeping it simply about food and books, with the odd animal photos 🙂

      Delete
  11. Overnight low carb oats w yogurt and berries. Or an egg and one multigrain toast. Or the toast w natural peanut butter which is most often

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.