Monday 29 January 2024

It's a Journey

 

The last few days I have been thinking a lot about ultra processed foods (UPF).

It's something ... no it's everything ... to do with the new book that I am currently reading.  It's refreshing my mind in a more layman's way than Chris Van Tulleken's book, which I loved but which was very detailed and in parts harder to digest.

This is my latest reading material.

As you can see from the top photo over Christmas my little 'snack drawers' got a bit out of hand with extras and 'tasty treats', which I am no longer thinking of as tasty treats. So ... in breaks from reading my book I am slowly but surely working my way through my snack drawers and reading labels a lot more carefully than I obviously did in December during my willy-nilly throw it in the supermarket trolley excursions.

I think that's it's pretty obvious from the top photo that the type of things that were left in my snack stash were virtually all nibbles that I fancied to have with wine over the Christmas period, and as I am no longer drinking alcohol they actually hold little temptation to me now.


Once everything was out on the worktop I split the contents into two camps, those things that I would eat and those that I would give away.   These are the keepers, all relatively healthy and with minimal ingredients.

 I have to admit to eating a couple of the Cornish Wafers and then deciding that although the ingredients weren't bad, I just didn't enjoy them.  Sadly because of me opening them I couldn't donate the rest of the pack so they were crumbled up and put on the bird table for the birds over the course of two days.


These things were all UPF that I decided would never be bought again and some of which have already been dropped off at the Foodbank trolley in Booths.  Oh, except for the crisps which I ate and then read the label of ... I won't be buying these again.  They are good compared to some flavoured crisps, but I think I can find better.


After cleaning out my little drawer unit and it's baskets I put everything back temporarily and at last had a basket left over.  

So I popped my potatoes into it, this was the plan for this drawer unit when I first bought it a couple of years ago.  As long as I have a quick turnaround with my potatoes they should be fine in here.

Once I have offered the rest of the snacks that I no longer want to Alan and taken any items he doesn't want to the Foodbank trolley, I will have another freed up basket, already for refilling with healthier foods.

And now it's a new week and time to start on the main food cupboard, but there's no rush it's a journey.  😀


Sue xx



24 comments:

  1. I need to educate myself about UPFs. I know I have some in my pantry and freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Chris Van Tulleken's book he says the best way to learn about UPFs is to just eat your usual foods and read the labels as and when you are eating them or cooking with anything. That way you are deciding what you want to keep and what you are shocked at and just not buy again.

      Delete
  2. I have Rob Hobson's book but not started reading it yet - clearly it needs to go up the TBR pile . . .

    (Bag End Gardener - who cannot sign in this morning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book, and perhaps I have read them the wrong way round, or they wrote them the wrong way round!! This is really easy to understand and leads the way for Chris VT's book which is really in depth.

      Yup, Google is a pain again at the moment. :-(

      Delete
  3. We didn't buy that many tasty bits this last Christmas but Dh daughter sent us a parcel of Yorkshire treats, fortunately for me I don't like that sort of thing, but Dh is making inroads into them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was being pretty good in not stocking up at Christmas, but if this much stuff is the 'leftovers' you can imagine what the rest looked like. Alan got a shocking amount of chocolate and alcohol given as gifts for Christmas, he's trying to be careful and ration it out but he's a naughty boy when it comes to vodka and fresh orange juice ... which he claims is one of his 'five a day'!!

      Delete
  4. Hadn't come across that newer book about UPFs but I cut right back last year. The cashews are now the only thing from your photos that I buy. I've been making my own biscuits and cakes more often and stopped eating crisps and that type of snacks. It's made no difference to my weight - sadly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily I'm finding that since not drinking (no alcohol allowed with the tablets I am now taking) I also am not eating as many salty snacks or late night slices of bread and butter. It should be good for my waistline but it's not appearing to be happening. :-(

      Delete
  5. This book looks more... digestible... than CVTs! Do other people find it annoying that foods labelled "free from" or "plant based" are often among the greatest offenders when it comes to UPFs? I must get more info about ITSU from my daughter, her company has been working with them I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, other people ... me ... really do get annoyed that the so called 'claims' on so many foods are just not really applicable to any real health benefits. It's about an ongoing journey to learn about labelling and especially to read between the lines.

      The ITSU Seaweed Thins are just about one of the strangest things I have eaten, but they are satisfying in a weird sort of way as they leave a nice taste in your mouth. They are high in iodine and B12 but low in any bad things. I'd be interested in your daughters opinion of the company.

      https://www.ocado.com/products/itsu-seaweed-thins-original-100332011?gclid=3bc7426b7c4c18a5976327dcd3ddcd10&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=3bc7426b7c4c18a5976327dcd3ddcd10

      Delete
  6. Well done in keeping the healthy snacks and donating the others. I have a few bits left from christmas that will go to the food bank-a huge packet of biscuits that were a gift and a tin of chocolates bought and not used as a gift. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, it's nice to donate isn't it. The Foodbank trollies in all three of our local little supermarkets have been a lovely mix of 'normal' foods ... pasta, rice, beans etc ... and some lovely boxes of chocolates and bags of speciality crisps. It's nice to share. :-)

      Delete
  7. Well done on donating the less healthy stuff to the food bank. I rarely eat snacks - I'd rather have an orange (I know, I'm a complete freak) but used to love sharing a packet of Kurkure with Jon with an ice cold Kingfisher when we were in India, they sell them at our corner shop but they don't taste as exciting back at home!
    The only UPFs I have a problem with is Ultra Pretty Frocks - they cause my wardrobe to expand rather than my waistline! xxx





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kurkure were far too spicy for me, I guess with an ice cold cider they would have been okay but the pack I had at Christmas did not go well with my wine !!

      I think your version of UPFs are just perfect ... and you have some beautiful ones. :-)

      Delete
  8. I don't think I will ever go (or be able to go) totally UPF-free but I'm making a sensible effort and, to me, that's what matters.
    The book looks interesting, many thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I doubt any of us could go completely UPF free, it seems virtually everything has been messed with these days. As you say making an effort is what matters for our health.

      Delete
  9. Good for you on donating the food you no longer want. I try and pick the best possible for us. I cook from scratch a lot, and what with the garden we do pretty well. However, that being said, I really like salty snack foods.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, salty snack foods are my downfall when I'm enjoying a glass of something alcoholic. Cutting out the alcohol might just be the best thing for my health and weight if no alcohol also means no naughty snacks. :-)

      Delete
  10. Food for thought post Sue:) I also need to pick up my game when it comes to processed foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think now that we are finding out so much of what has been hidden from us for so long, it's time for us all to try and up our game on the healthy food front.

      Delete
  11. All interesting stuff - thank you. My dear old mum used to say it was all the preservatives in food that kept her going so long.......but joking aside, I know that I feel better when my diet is fresher and simpler.......but will power is often in short supply!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I am feeling much better since I started to cut down on the UPF that I do eat. Gosh, my Mum didn't say that I looked 'tired' yesterday when we visited her ... literally a first, she says it EVERY WEEK!!

      Delete
  12. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    I have plain maize to make popcorn, plain seeds and nuts from Aldi or Asda, and dried fruit in the store cupboard for snacks.
    There are some bars of dark chocolate without added lecithin, Asda have just increased the price of their’s from £1.50 to £1.80.
    I make seeded flapjacks with much less sugar than the recipe.
    An apple or a pear may have sugars, but they are less harmful than all the factory made, plastic packs of toxic junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just perfect and something that I am slowly and surely working towards. I can't bring myself to give away my chocolate and treats stash but it will not be replenished except with healthier alternatives. I'm almost there. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.