Thursday 18 July 2024

Summer ... One Day at a Time



It seems that this year we are having Summer one day at a time, and I am determined to make the most of the odd sunny day.  The other day as the sun came out nice and early I pulled all the garlic from the centre of my raised bed.  It had needed pulling up for over a week really, but the weather just wasn't playing ball.

Pulled up and laid out flat to dry in the sun Alan said it made the garden smell delicious, sadly I still have absolutely no sense of smell since Covid so I just had to imagine. 


I moved the little Hydrangea and some of the overcrowded Primulas from the large pot into the space the garlic had just vacated.  Soon this long bed will just be flowering plants and shrubs, so it's nice to make a start on that with what I already have.


The little sunflower-like plant was moved from this spot and put into the large pot on the paving slab, I have a couple of little plants to put around it ... and a couple more Primulas, gosh I do seem to have a lot of Primulas dotted around the place!!


While all this was going on the washing was drying on the line, and Mavis was very sensibly avoiding the heat and watching me from Alan's open patio doors.

Later she had a bit of a pamper session at the groomers with her once yearly trim ... the one that gets her looking like a very smart little Jack Russell.  Next she came with us to the café along the High Street ... which just happens to be opposite a charity shop that sells lots of books for just £1 each.


Well you have to do your bit for charity don't you.  😀


Especially when one of the books was signed by the author to you ... it was fate!!

It was a good day, and hopefully Summer will be back for another one just like it very soon.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. We were at the eye clinic at 8.50 am this morning for Norrie to have his 4 weekly eye jab and then we had coffee and he had a bacon roll for being a good boy. Shopping done on way home and now lunch. I didn’t take a coat so got soaked sprinting in to M and S Food Hall. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a treat after an appointment isn't it. This must have been one of the wettest years to date, I am sick of dodging rain showers.

      Delete
  2. Have you checked out the Smell Training on the AbScent website? It's helped me recover some of my sense of smell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, sadly it didn't work for me. I might give it another go though as it's about six months since I tried.

      Delete
  3. That garlic looks great, I've never managed to grow any!
    I think you've definitely got the right idea about summer one day at a time 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should keep us both supplied with garlic for quite a while and give me some more to plant again in October. Once you grow garlic you rarely have to buy it again. :-)

      Delete
  4. Too hot to do much here, great haul of books, I've read the Rachel Joyce and loved it.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's good to know hopefully I will too. 😀 It's joined the queue of books waiting to be read.

      Delete
  5. Perfect is one of my favourite books, it stayed with me a long time. Enjoy the gardening and line dried washing - heaven! Danette x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit of sunshine makes all the difference doesn't it. 😀

      Delete
  6. Your garlic looks lovely. I remember the year I dried mine in the greenhouse - it ~really~ seemed to intensify the smell.

    Sounds like Mavis had a splendid day, I'd quite like a pamper & a yearly trim followed by a trip to a café 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always dry mine in the polytunnel. This year it's out whenever the sun shines and in the shed when it doesn't

      Delete
  7. How lovely to grow your own garlic! I've tried growing both onions and garlic (and some leeks, too), but, no success. Things bolt too quickly here, with our heat! It's 32C here, as I type this at 12:50 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my onions have bolted this year too, it's been a bad year weather-wise for growing vegetables. ☹️

      Delete
  8. I'm hoping Mavis loved her pampering session♥ So funny having the book already signed by the author to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did, but she's always relieved to get out of the doggy salon. I know, fate eh. 😄

      Delete
  9. We can do wonderful things in a little garden - and happy reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the ease of this little garden compared to the responsibility of our previous homes. 🙂

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.