Saturday 27 July 2024

Day Six - Beans, Crimpit, Imagination and 99p Shopping

 

Totally different to yesterday but this morning I woke up hungry, and after a couple of cups of coffee and a shower it was time for a proper cooked breakfast.  Beans and egg from the fridge and the hash browns from the freezer.  The Aldi frozen 'McDonalds dupe' hash browns are delicious and a nice little treat every now and then.

It made a lovely change for my breakfast.


I have this pack of Tortilla wraps in the freezer too, so I decided on a cheese and tuna Crimpit for lunch.  


We both went a bit mad for these a while ago when we got the little Crimpit presses and they make for a nice quick lunch either cold or heated up in the air fryer.

It was just enough for my lunch after a filling breakfast.


I forgot to take a photo of my finished tea, but imagine this with the pasta nicely swelled up, the cheese squares all melted and the spinach pellets softened and stirred through ... and that's what I had. 😁

Alan was busy with work and needed some bread and milk, so I volunteered to go to Aldi for him.  A cucumber fell into my trolley.

That's 99p of my remaining £3.70 gone!!

During the afternoon I had spent a while having a good sort through of the freezer drawers to see exactly what was in there.  The fridge is looking pretty sparse now so I wanted to double check what I had available.  

Freezers always hold so much more than you think they do don't they.  I have lots of stuff, there's absolutely no need for me to panic.  I tried to put it back in a slightly more sensible way, with the bottom drawer now being full of all the bread products and all the veggies together in one drawer etc etc.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. All delicious and well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you have a good weekend. 🙂

      Delete
  2. Sometimes only baked beans hits the spot. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just a brilliant comfort food aren't they. This breakfast was really filling, no wonder I only needed a small lunch.

      Delete
  3. Love the Crimpit-another fiendish invention from Lakeland. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very handy aren't they. Me and Alan bought ours direct from Crimpit when an offer popped up online. :-)

      Delete
  4. You're doing well. That's still a lot of food in the freezer. Sometimes I look in mine and panic at the first look as I know I only have one now :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was truly surprised at how much was in the freezer, including lots of vegetables and bread. I should be fine for all of next week as well. My three drawers seem to hold everything that I need, and more.

      Delete
  5. Some good ideas on your Challenge. I now need to live as frugally as possible. I hate waste and there has been a lot of it recently with nothing seeming to make Keith want to eat. So this morning I went through the fridge and made a chicken and ham pie, and also wanted to make cheese pastry as I had some cheese which needed eating pronto. I found a Waitrose recipe for Spicy Bean Pasties with cheese pastry. Have made 4 already and will make 4 more when we come back from town. Keep the ideas coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can turn a blind eye to any food waste that went on while you were trying to find things suitable for Keith, giving him choice, the right foods and tasty little taste and tester portions was far more important, and you did so well. When I saw the wastage of all sorts of commodities and food when Mum was in hospital, and now where she is at the moment at first I was horrified, but I soon saw that there really is no way around it that is practicable.

      Now you can come into your own, tighten the purse-strings and go forward, and it sounds like you are already making a brilliant start on this. Spicy Bean Pasties with cheese pastry sound just perfect.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the Aldi Hash Browns recommendation, I've been buying Tesco own but they are a bit thick so don't go crispy enough for my taste.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on the head with why I'm enjoying the Aldi hash browns so much, their thinness means they crisp up lovely and aren't stodgy. Usually I find hash browns either greasy or too stodgy but these are perfect. Thank goodness I have a few more left.

      Delete
  7. I'm really enjoying seeing your meals, breakfast looked especially good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cooked breakfast every now and then really hits the spot doesn't it. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.