Friday 26 July 2024

Day Five - Swapsies and Homemade Fishcakes


It was a 'non-hungry' morning, I have them occasionally and just go with the flow.  So today for my breakfast I just had a slice of toast with a smear of spread and the dregs of the marmalade brought home from Dobbie's the other week. 

It was enough.


But by lunchtime I was definitely ready for something more substantial and decided on a sausage bun.

I simply cooked some homegrown red onions with a sprinkle of chilli flakes and some mixed herbs and the sausages in the small frying pan.  The sausages looked really good.


I split the sausages and layered them up on the bun with a generous spreading of the posh tomato ketchup.  Now, while the flavour of this was great the texture of the sausages was just not for me.  I'm finding I'm really going off a lot of the replacement meat products ...which can only be a good thing really!!


I was debating throwing the rest of the pack away, but I decided to offer them to Alan first and he said an immediate yes, he's not as fussy about food texture as I am so I think they will suit him just fine.  He offered me a swap for them and as I was already thinking about what to have for my tea, I chose one spring onion, about a quarter of a cucumber and half a punnet of cherry tomatoes as my little plum tomatoes are nearly all used up.


Tea was to be homemade fishcakes with these ingredients, none of them from the fridge.  The mash was thawed from the freezer, Alan's spring onion, a whizzed up bread crust and a tin of salmon from the cupboard.


Once everything was chopped, mashed and mixed together I made four good sized fishcakes ... and aren't they nice and round and well-formed, I usually struggle with this but it just worked out so perfectly for once much to my surprise and delight.


They even stayed nice and round, and held together well in the pan while I cooked them.  I had two for my tea with Alan's cherry tomatoes and cucumber and some of my lettuce.  It was a really nice fresh tasting meal and surprisingly filling.

But it's got me craving more cucumber ... I'm going to have to go shopping. 😄


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. Those fishcakes look delicious I can never get mine to hold together. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are my most perfect fishcakes ever ... I'm a proud fishcake maker. 😊

      Delete
  2. It all looks absolutely delicious, Sue. And I have not-hungry mornings too, now and again. Now I've got used to breakfast at eleven, if I'm having lunch earlier than two, I will just grab an apple. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just have to listen to your body don't you, and at our ages we're usually a bit better at doing that. An apple is definitely a healthier option than toast. 😄

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious. I generally have two meals a day - brunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should possibly try that, it's better for your body than eating little and often isn't it as it can keep your blood sugar nice and stable.

      Delete
  4. Your mention of non-hungry mornings made me realise it's not just me.
    I can go till 10 o'clock or even later before I feel ready to eat most days - then a morning will come along and I'm straight to the bread bin and breaking eggs into a frying pan!
    I'm liking tinned salmon more and more - and tuna less and less; I find tuna too rich even with the addition of sweetcorn whereas mashed tinned salmon, finely chopped onion and a little salad cream paired with new potatoes and salad - yum! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we just have to take each day as it comes and go with it don't we. 🙂

      That sounds delicious, although I haven't had salad cream for years, it's usually mayo for me. Maybe I should get some salad cream in the near future. 😀

      Delete
  5. I don’t like those Heck sausages either and it’s definitely because of the texture. I’m having a bagel and hummus today as all the salad stuff is finished and I don’t want to go shopping. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look brilliant, but just don't deliver!! ☹️

      Oooh, bagel and hummus ... yes please. 😀

      Delete
  6. I'm so impressed by those fish cakes, so neat!
    Tinned salmon is so useful as a cupboard standby isn't it? I often use it in fish pie.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really chuffed with the look, and taste of those fishcakes. My best ever result. 😊

      I have quite a stash of tinned salmon and tuna in the cupboard, it should keep me going for quite a while. 😀

      Delete
  7. My fish cakes are never round. I keep trying though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keep trying, mine were never round until this time. I need to make some more and see if I have finally mastered them or if this was just a fluke. 😄

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.