Wednesday 31 July 2024

Day Ten - Final Day - Using Up All the Leftovers ... and Fridge Comparisons


I had three slices of bread left, so I had peanut butter on toast using one of them for breakfast, with the jar being rinsed out with a bit of boiling water for a future 'satay style' sauce addition to a meal.


Mid-morning snack, not something I do very regularly, but I had the nibbles after such a small breakfast.  Three of these Cheeze flavoured Corn Cakes, a bit like rice cakes ... but made with corn. 😁


I used the last of my mayo with my one and only carrot, some leaves from the lettuce and a couple of tiny onions from the garden to make a bowl of coleslaw for my lunch.  At the last minute I crumbled over some walnuts which made a wonderful difference to the flavour and texture of it all.


The final two slices of this loaf, that had been in the freezer, were calling to me.  So I decided on a cheese, tuna, onion and tomato toastie for my tea.


I took a photo before the top went on, just in case I burnt it ... I have a habit of wandering off and having overdone toasties.


But in this case I needn't have worried, it turned out just fine.  I had the last of the baby plum tomatoes as an after-toastie nibble, the sharp flavour really cuts through any greasiness in your mouth.


Still in a 'use up the leftovers' frame of mind I made myself a small bowl of noodles and had them with the last of the roasted vegetables.  It felt really good to get all the little pots of bits and pieces out of the fridge on this the final day of the Challenge.

Comparison Fridge Photos


The fridge at the start.


The fruit and cheese drawer.


The fridge this morning, there's no need for a separate photo of the fruit and cheese drawer as only the cheese is left.  It's what's left of the beetroot in the glass container with the wooden lid.

The easy peelers (which were past their best), and the trimmings from the apple and the lemon have been turned into the juice you see in the jug ready to be made into a pot of Breakfast Jam.


The vegetable drawer at the start of the Challenge ...


... and at the end, with most of my new cucumber left and some of the homegrown onions.

One green Stay-Fresh bag has the lettuce heart in it and the other the last of the celery sticks.  So I actually have the makings of a nice bowl of salad left.

It's been a good Challenge for the last ten days of July, and now heading into a new month I have a whole new £100 food budget all ready to go.  

My total spend for the month of July was £98.79, so there was just £1.21 left over to add to the savings pot.  Without the Challenge it would have all gone to pot.


Sue xx




14 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant - it really is. All that scrummy food. It really makes you realise you don't have to spend a fortune to eat very well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try and keep in this mindset more of the time. A challenge like this is good for highlighting things that I buy on a whim and then just put away.

      Delete
  2. This is so organised and your latest meals look delicious, especially the toastie and salad with walnuts.
    Do you get those green stay fresh bags online? I'm guessing so, I really need some of those in my life 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were from Lakeland, many years ago. I have about three on the go at anytime, and just wash and reuse them over and over.

      Delete
  3. Well done on using what you had but still having appetising meals. Our home delivery will be here at 11am so I’ll give the fridge a swift wipe down before it arrives. Going to be scorching here today so I’ll get on with joyful indoor tasks like hanging the curtains. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good feeling to clean the fridge out and then restock isn't it. I'll be indoors today happily avoiding the sun. 😄

      Delete
  4. Amazing! You've done so well. Although, I bet you didn't manage to eat that toast without getting peanut butter on your fingers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not ... it is imperative that you end up with peanut butter fingers, every time. :-)

      Delete
  5. Well done. I have been aiming at using up all the leftovers in my fridge (taking a leaf from your book) and it's worked quite well. I have ham, pizza pepperoni, cheese and a cup of chopped tomatoes (plus onions, peppers and a courgette) so will make a couple of different pizzas for family lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way it makes me think when I stand in front of the fridge and the possible meals come to mind. It's a good feeling to make the best use of everything isn't it. Enjoy your pizzas. 😀

      Delete
  6. Excellent challenge and you did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! Your fridge looks awesome. ~Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice and easy to wipe down. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.