Thursday 1 August 2024

The Books That I Read in July

 



I started the month by trying to get into this book, and failed.  I loved both her previous books, but maybe with everything that's going on here at the moment I just couldn't settle into this one, so I gave up about a third of the way in.  

I will pick it up and try again another time.



So I decided on something completely different to get me back on my reading journey.  This is a really good book by one of my favourite cookery and lifestyle authors and I really enjoyed it.

Lots of recipes and lots of nice clear information about how and why to bring 30 plants a week into your diet.



I really enjoyed this book, it is a multi-layered story with a few strands that are all linked up very simply and nicely.

  There were a few glaring mistakes made by the author that jumped out of the page at me.  Wrong ages mentioned for when the main character did something, saying one person was pregnant when it then went on to be someone else ... that sort of thing really rankles with me.  Even if the author got this wrong surely it was proof-read by someone!!  I don't want to be reading a book that pulls me back into my day job.

But overall I enjoyed it and it made for a pleasant two day read in the sun on the patio, what more do you want from fiction.  It's already gone back onto the charity bookshelf in Booths for someone else to buy and donate a pound to a good cause.



Then bouncing back to food and non-fiction I read this lovely book by Tash Tudor's grandson.  It's a nice book, with simple recipes ... or 'Receipts' as Tasha called them.  A nice quick read and a book that is staying on my bookshelves for now.



My final read of the month was this one, a really good read.

Kate writes well, her recipes are easy to follow, the photographs in the book are gorgeous and she links her food to books, what more could you want from a book about food ... and books.

As the tagline for my blog is 'Just Food, Books ... and the Simple Life', it really was the perfect book for me.


You've got to love a book with endpapers like these ...


... just perfect.  

And it has a ribbon bookmark sewn in.  😃



What to read next I am wondering?  

The idea of a whole new month of Summer book reading stretching before me is bliss, and I have absolutely no idea at the moment which book I am going to pick up next, so I will be as surprised as you might be.

What are you reading at the moment?


Sue xx



I would just like to point out, that although I provide links to Amazon for all the books that I read each month, not all my books are bought from Amazon.  If they are some of them were bought from the Used section rather than full price.  

I share the links so that you can learn more about the books that I write about for yourself, or read reviews from others that have read them.  Of course most of the books I talk about would also be available from your local library, and if you are very lucky you might even find them in charity or thrift shops.  

There are so many ways to bring books into your home if you love reading.



24 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on that little library cookbook for a while. I followed her blog until it stopped, presumably because she was writing the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now she's moved on again and is writing a novel. :-)

      Delete
  2. I read the first Raynor Winn and loved it but not got to the others yet......... Hugh F.W. now that looks right up my street as does the little library cookbook you wrote about, cosy and full of 'feelgood' 😍 I'm reading a novel by Ruth Jones about three friends.......told over several decades, I've not really got into it properly yet tbh.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get into it, sometimes it can take a couple of chapters can't it, but then suddenly ... there you are. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's books and have all of them except the ' Meat ' one - although we are meat eaters it was a bit too graphic for me. He lives not far from where I am and we've been to a few events at River Cottage HQ. I'm pleased to say he's just as nice in the flesh as he appears on the TV and was very patient with my then 11 year old son who was a bit starstruck! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to have all his books, mostly signed as we've met him quite a few times now. He gave us lots of brilliant advice when we were first starting out on our new farm and doing farmers markets. I still have our original diary somewhere with his well-known scrawl in it. He's always so patient with the large queues that develop on his book signings at River Cottage HQ isn't he, never rushing anybody and always being really friendly.

      Delete
  4. Sue in Suffolk mentioned The Little Library Year back in September 2020 and I was able to reserve it from the library back in Dorset. I said on my blog I thought it was a book for ćreading, not keeping" but I had greatly enjoyed it. Now you've reminded me, I shall try and find it in the Norfolk library catalogue. I loved the end papers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good and definitely 'a keeper' for me. There are a couple of recipes and ideas that I want to try out. :-)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the book, but, I been trying to eat 30 plant based foods a week, these past 3 weeks, without a lot of success. I've been reading some e-books borrowed from the library and a novel a blog friend wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should imagine it would take quite a few weeks to get into the habit, and also to get into the habit of keeping a check-list of the things that you eat. But definitely worth persevering with. :-)

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your book reviews and have started to buy second hand online thanks to you and the other Sue. . We have just ordered a new book case so I expect another cull of books will follow in order to make room for some new ones. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... a new bookcase, the potential for many, many more books awaits. :-)

      Delete
  7. Like Bless I'm trying to eat 30 plant based foods a week...Not doing too badly, but I am tempted by the HFW book. Maybe I'll wait until my birthday & ask for it then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book, well worth getting. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much Sue,
    Both for the book reviews and the links.
    I read both Raynor Winn's earlier books.
    I loved the first one but found the second one less interesting.
    The third one gripped me but it took a while to get into.
    You have tempted me to get the Little Library Year more as a book to use than read.

    At present I am re-reading some of Marcia Willett's books.
    They are easy reading but I always find Somme phrase of situations that are worth pondering.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad it's not just me that was struggling to get into Landlines. 🙂 I'll give it another go in a few months, maybe it's just not my style of Summer reading as well.

      Delete
  9. Yep, I often read books and think how did that get passed by the editor or proof reader!! I guess once a teacher, always a teacher!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how much it costs to publish and print books, you'd think that there would better checks wouldn't you. 🤔

      Delete
  10. Those end papers are gorgeous, if I came across that book in a chazza I'd buy it just for them!
    I'm having a book crisis, I'm having to reread stuff, I'm off to the chazzas tomorrow for fresh reading material. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that must be terrible for such a prolific reader as yourself. Get yourself stocked up with a fresh stash immediately. 😄

      Delete
  11. He is a Good Egg, isn't he, Mr F-W. I like his books and programmes very much and keep pondering on the thirty plants one. Is it worth it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get it on any sort of offer I would say yes. Or maybe get it from the library first to see if you need to buy it. 😀

      Delete
  12. I love Hyghs books, but would struggle with 30 veg a week, living by myself. I think would be easier with 2x people. I do find a bag of fresh coleslaw veg or frozen veg help load up the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually easier than you think as nuts, pulses, herbs and spices are all included in the 30, and of course they are all things that are ambient rather than fresh.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.