Saturday 24 August 2024

A Lazy Girl Post

 


Just to show that I do eat the foods that you see me buying, here's a few of my meals from this week.

A lazy girl tea of spicy potato wedges ... I didn't use the pouch of extra spicy sauce that came with them swapping it for some mayo instead, I'm a bit of a spice wuss these days. 😄

They were delicious, but I'll try and be good and make my own next time, it would be a lot cheaper.  These wedges and their sauce, cost me around £2, if I work it out with the '2 for 3 offer' that they were on.  I could get a bag of potatoes for that!!


Breakfast on Wednesday before we set off for Mum's.

Two hash browns topped with 'ham' and eggs, filling and very necessary as by the time we had done some jobs for Mum as soon as we arrived, we were both very hungry and ready for lunch, so a couple of slices of toast just would not have 'cut the mustard'.

I bought these fishcakes a couple of weeks ago and froze them, so I decided to use the last of the lettuce from the fridge as a nice simple base for them.  Nothing else was needed as they were very filling.  I daren't scroll back and see how old the lettuce was, but it was very edible, if probably lacking in any nutrient value whatsoever.  

My fridge is excellent at keeping foods fresh ... for a long time.  😄


A simple lunch yesterday straight from the freezer, three of the chunky fish fingers that I bought a couple of weeks ago, served on a mayo spread oven bottom roll bought ages ago ... I could look it up, but this is a 'lazy girl' post. 😁

My tea last night was a large portion of the Mediterranean veggies with the salmon that was leftover from making our sandwiches on Wednesday and a pouch of rice.  Definitely lazy, but very tasty and healthy.

I think ... as you can tell from these meals ... that I have been in a bit of a kitchen slump recently.  I need to read through a couple of recipe books and try and get my cooking mojo back and use some of the tinned foods and freezer vegetables to make up some nice healthy meals.  

It is a busy time at the moment with Mum so unwell, Alan having hospital appointments and an operation coming up, which means he's needing to get through as much of the work that he thought he had until November to do, before the end of September.  I need to eat well, or maybe just slightly better, and try and get my health up to scratch too. 

 Oh well, we can but try.


Sue xx 


26 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about the ongoing health issues, esp your elderly Mum. Such things have a knock on effect on everything else. ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it snowballs down through all the family with me in the middle.

      Delete
  2. Slump here too - sorry that life is throwing so much at you.
    And yes, it really impacts on the energy levels & ability required to cook 'properly'.
    Which is why a freezer full of quick to prepare stuff such as you keep on hand is ideal, sending hugs, 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming from all directions at the moment, parents, partner, me and son, at least Mavis is happy and reasonably well.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the health worries for your mum and Alan. I am making myself cook again - even did home made oven chips last night, for the first time since Tam moved out. I don't often experiment with new recipes, but always have home made meals. I got a reduced Pizza the other day, for a quick meal when Tam was here. Looked at the ingredients and if you counted the Thiamin, Biotin etc - there were FIFTY ingredients! If I make Pizza, it's flour, yeast, salt and water for the base, and the topping is usually a Ratatoutille type mix of veg. Then cheese on top. Just as well I normally avoid them - because they are always a disappointment taste-wise.

    Well done on using up what's in the fridge/freezer. I need to start eating Danny's (or rather Emma's) veggie option stuff as it is jamming up my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as I was eating those wedges I was thinking that I could so easily have made them from scratch ... next time. 😄 Shop bought pizzas always seem to promise more than they deliver don't they.

      Delete
  4. Nothing wrong with quick and easy meals when other things demand your time and energy. Just take care of yourself so you can be there for those who need you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both looking after each other, and sharing Mum's problems with my brother too. 😀

      Delete
  5. I think everyone goes through these spells of not being @rsed to cook especially when there's 'stuff' going on. If you're eating, that's a bonus. If you're managing to get fruit and veg in you, double bonus. My wee mum told me the other day she felt guilty because she was too tired to cook a 'proper' meal (like me she cooks from scratch) after some hospital appointments. She just had cheese on toast. When I asked her if she enjoyed it she said yes! I said that's all that matters :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes good old cheese or beans (or even both) just hits spot doesn't it. Good for your Mum. ❤️

      Delete
  6. Even in laziness you're still eating well.
    Put all thoughts of food challenges on the back burner while you have so much to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry, the things to deal with have been going on since March, plus of course my own problems. It's been doing a few challenges that have kept me (relatively) sane. 😄

      Delete
    2. In that case Sue - go for it! x

      Delete
    3. Haha ... if the urge comes over me I will. 😄

      Delete
  7. I had to smile - no, not lazy, just making the best of everything and quite right too, especially at a time when there are so many other things taking your time and focus. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt lazy, but you're right it's good to be using everything up. My vegetable drawer in the fridge now just contains the onions and 1/2 a cucumber. 😄

      Delete
  8. I'm almost permanently in that foodie slump at the moment and have been since my dear old mum died. I still enjoy baking and a bit of preserve making but main meals.......no.......like you I need to get my lovely recipe books out! Your fried eggs on hash browns - yum -
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think slumps come in cycles don't they, sometimes out of the blue and sometimes for definite reasons, like ours. Having the eggs on the hash browns was a nice change from toast. 🙂

      Delete
  9. I sometimes have weeks like this too and then I crave vegetables and start again with a more balanced meal. You are under a lot of stress and worry and you are right that you need to eat well it stay healthy. I was going to contact you with a view to meeting up at Booths on our way home from St Anne’s yesterday but realised it’s too busy a time for you just now. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been lovely, but yes things are a little crazy at the moment, thanks for understanding. ❤️

      Delete
  10. I’m in a cooking slump - things are so expensive. I can no longer just go out to eat so I’m having to cook again. The day before my shopping day, I decided I would get out a cookbook and pick one new recipe. So I bought the ingredients and will make it sometime this week.
    And to think there was a time when I lived to cook, grocery shop, plan meals etc. Ugh! I need to get my mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel. I think for both of us the reading of our recipe books is a great idea, sometimes it just takes a couple of new dishes or cakes to get me back into the cooking arena again. I hope we find our mojos soon ... perhaps they have gone out together for a meal. :-)

      Delete
  11. I treated my self to 'Ping' a microwave cookbook by Justine Pattison, some really nice healthy recipes in it if your are time starved, the mushroom soup is delicious, and inexpensive if you can get a tub of yellow sticker ones. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even look at a mushroom without feeling ill. I have never liked them. 🙁 I usually substitute aubergine for mushrooms in recipes, but not for a soup. Alan loves them, especially garlic mushrooms. So he would most likely appreciate the soup.

      Delete
  12. I always think of you as a busy little bee, never lazy:) I'm so sorry to read about all health issues happening and I hope all will be much better for everyone very soon♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been a busy little bee for ages. My back issues really changed all that. Now I just manage the best I can. 🙂

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.