Monday 12 August 2024

Non-Furry Beetroot ... and Missing Cats


 I  finally finished off the beetroot that was in the fridge at the end of the challenge.  Luckily it was still tasty and not in the slightest 'furry'.  And I'm still here to tell the tale so all is well. 😅


It's been a weekend and a half and I'm glad it's over.

We had two guys here all day Saturday and Sunday, cleaning the roofs of our house and next door (which we now also own for our pension pot in lieu of the Welsh flat, which is now sold), they were stripping off all the moss and treating the roofs with an anti-something or other, and then cleaning out the guttering on both houses.  They were also pointing the chimney stack and fixing the guttering that came off Alan's top floor roof during the high winds of last Winter.

Rather him than me even building a tower as high as that one went, never mind moving it around and working from it.  It all went well, but took two full days instead of the one they originally quoted for.  Because of it running into Sunday, we had to leave them to is as we had to get to Manchester to Mum's for at least a few hours.  

She is not doing well after coming out of hospital and is now having two carers four times a day while she tries to get going again.  I was going to share more, but I've decided that last thing I need is to type out all the horrible things that have been happening ... and there's more than enough upset and misery around everywhere at the moment, and I sure as hell am not going to add to it.

Anyway by the end of the first day this was the progress on the roofs. Chimney stack pointed and most of the two roofs cleaned of moss and crap.  Gosh it will be so good not to have big lumps of moss everywhere.  The birds do seem to love picking it off and dropping it all over the front and the back on the houses.

Anyway back to food.  

This is the fridge this morning, nice and sparse and I am starting to really appreciate having less in it.  What I have got will be made good use of this week to accompany the things that I want to eat from the freezer, although the half tin of tuna in the little plastic tub, and the third of a tin of beans in the glass ramekin will be used for my tea tonight on top of a baked potato.

Just adding in:  We have just retrieved Ginger from next doors garage, where he had obviously retreated to to get away from all the noise yesterday and fallen asleep.   I was out moving our wheelie bins back into position, after cleaning up at the front of the lodge this morning, and I heard meowing.  He must have been there all night and is now running around being very vocal and letting us know in no uncertain terms that it's all our fault!!


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that your mum isn't doing too well after coming home from Hospital. It's such a worry - no-one seems to recuperate properly on hospital food and just go downhill. Thank goodness you have carers in place - they NEVER sent any to help us with Keith.

    I bet Ginger was very peeved because there were Men About the Place, being noisy. Our two boys aren't keen on strangers, not one little bit. The girls are more easy going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t so very true that a cat owns you!! Glad to hear Ginger is OK. So sorry to hear that your mother is unwell and hope for improvement for you all. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your mum (and you!) is having a rough time. It's not easy when our parents can't/won't follow medical advice. And poor Ginger! Definitely your fault, LOL!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. My mother in law seemed to survive on tea and a dozen plain fairy cakes every day and not much else for her last years...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you have some horrible things happening at the moment. It must be incredibly difficult, especially with your mum not living close by.
    Thank goodness Ginger turned up safe and sound. And of course it was your fault ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to you Sue, my dear old Mum seemed to make a conscious choice in her last months to stop eating. So glad Ginger is ok after being locked in the garage accidentally.
    I love the look of your fried rice meal, although I'm a wimp about anything that's been in the fridge a while.
    Take care of yourselves x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your Mum, Sue, it's such a worry. Funny you should mention missing cats (well actually it's not funny at all, glad Ginger was found unscathed, if indignant). People in the villages surrounding the hamlet where we used to live have been mentioning on social media for the past month or so that their cats have been going missing - at least one nearly every day. Which seems sinister - a cat-napping gang maybe, or someone with a grudge against cats?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that your Mum is not eating-it’s so difficult when this happens. The doctor gave my Mum some meal replacement cartons which she hated so tried really hard to eat some food each day so that she could stop them. You are really well organised with the house maintenance and we also suffer from the moss problem! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue I swear your mum is a twin sister of my mum. All you are going through is mirrored here and because my sister and I were away at the same time recently she was so abusive to her carers and they logged 120 complaint calls from her in a week at the office which she flatley denies making and some of those were at 3am in the middle of the night. The rest of her'antics' like you I don't feel I could go into, but we are in real danger now of her carers terminating their contract as she has them in tears yelling and screaming at them. I am at my wits end now and not well myself so it has been useful to me to hear you are going through similar problems not that I wish them on you of course but I don't feel quite so alone with my problematic mum. I just want her to have a better last few years of what she has left but she seems intent on sabotaging herself. Hope Ginger has recovered from his ordeal and forgives you!! Your house looking good.
    Viv where the journey takes me 2 blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about you Mum. Very difficult to solve when someone decides they don't want to eat or drink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart goes out to you over your Mum, Sue. I know how gut wrenchingly awful it can be.
    Poor Ginger. We couldn't find William on saturday afternoon and it turned out that he'd followed me into the Kinky Shed when i was sorting the festival stock out and I'd locked him in for three hours. poor chap! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear that your mother has decided she doesn't want to eat or drink. It's very difficult for the family when that happens. I'm glad that Ginger was found!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Ginger!! Worrying your mum like that! So very glad you found him.

    I'm truly sorry about your mum. My Mum made the same decision in her last week. She just stopped eating and drinking. She had a DNR and they asked Dad for permission to tube feed her and he/we refused although she did have fluid through a drip. It was the very last bit of autonomy she had left and how could we take that away? But it was such a very hard time.
    I'm not saying it is the same for your Mum, it really isn't at all the same - just that I know how upsetting and difficult it can be. Much love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU for all these comments. I did individually answer each and every one, but I have decided that it's not fair to share so much information about Mum. I hope some of you managed to read my responses before I made them all vanish, and I apologise to Manchester Lass, that I think I deleted a comment from you by accident ... very sorry. xx

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.