Tuesday 27 August 2024

What Do You Do on a Wet Bank Holiday Monday?

 


What do you do on a wet Bank Holiday Monday ... well after a day of working up in his office for Alan, reading for me, and then a bit of television while my cake baked, when Alan said he was going shopping you just know I was going to say "yes, I'll come too" don't you.  

I told myself that I would only buy some fresh things and a loaf of bread ... I really have got to stop lying to myself.  😄

I'm only joking as those of you who know my wacky sense of humour will realise, I actually did quite well.  Somehow wine and chocolate biscuits have now fallen into my 'fresh foods' category, although the odds of them living here long enough to go even slightly 'off' are miniscule.


My receipt.

I bought a larger than usual bag of baking potatoes as Aldi were completely out of loose baking spuds and the packs of four were so light as to not be worth the 75p cost.  So for twice the price I have definitely got more than twice the potatoes.

I have now totally blown the August budget and used up most of my savings from previous months too.  😳

Earlier I had gotten all the ingredients out to make a cake.  Banana and walnut this time, using my trusty, never fails 'all one weight and virtually all in the bowl at once' method.

My egg weighed 60g ... so the flour, margarine and sugar were all weighed out to that weight too, then all mixed thoroughly together with a dash of vanilla extract, before adding the banana and mashing that in.  Finishing off with the chopped up nuts and a quick stir before baking at 180° for around 25 minutes in a lined 1lb loaf tin.

Then I forgot to take a photo of the finished loaf ... this is a very similar looking one that I made in January 2023 and shared on my old blog, just to give you an idea of the finished article. It was very tasty and we had half each over the course of the evening.

Now the Bank Holiday over and we have  a long wait until the next one, which of course will be Christmas Day ... I bet it's still raining then!!


Sue xx


 

22 comments:

  1. That's looks delicious!!! I am so sick of all this rain. My area has had 2 flood warnings in the last week. The grass is so squelchy and boggy, Luna is constantly soggy. It's still August and today I made a huge pot of soup *sighs* I think you're right, it'll still be raining at Christmas! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently thawing a tub of soup out for my lunch, it should not be soup weather in August should it. Oh, and we bought Mavis a little waterproof jacket at the weekend, her old bones can't stand many more horrible wet doggy walks and yet she always wants to go out.

      Delete
  2. I am sure Mavis will appreciate not having a wet back once she gets used to her coat. Here it is more like October and I have lights on all over the place.

    My extremely soggy Bank Holiday was spent playing with fabric. I do feel sorry for folk who have come up here on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She used to have one but when we put it on her the other week, it would appear that there has been a bit of old age spread in the tummy region. ;-)

      I am about to click the central heating on while I sit and eat my dinner, I'm shivering through my cardigan.

      Delete
    2. If it makes you feel any better I have just had lunch and am about to put our heating on for an hour 🤬

      Delete
    3. Isn't it lovely to have a little bit of warmth for a while. I think it's time to get those Winter jumpers and cardigans out of storage ... maybe then the warmer weather will start. :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea the same weight ingredients banana cake, so easy to remember.
    Our elderly Yorkshire terrier will have to start wearing her little coat for walks soon.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it for years ever since I read about it somewhere. It means you can knock up a cake really quickly and with minimal washing up too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Weather is lovely in Suffolk! No rain since Saturday.
    Only 4 days left in August so all is well with your budget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop showing off ... haha. Wet and yucky here today, with only occasional dry spells over the weekend. My budget is shattered this month, and most of the savings from the last few months is gone too.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to rub it in but it's been dry here in the Midlands - a chance to tame the wilderness and read in the sunshine. That loaf looks delicious and talking of delicious, we tried Aldi's Ancient Grains loaf for the first time a few weeks ago, it didn't hang around for long! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good bread isn't it, and with the new much thicker slices it makes even better toast.

      Delete
  6. Monsoon here most of the day. It was my craft class so a nice morning making perpetual calendars. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it dried up here just in time for Alan to take Mavis for a nice walk this evening. ❤️

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry it's been so wet over there. But, going grocery shopping and baking banana cake seem like good rainy day activities to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to spend a rainy day isn't it, the cake didn't last long. 😄

      Delete
  8. Your cake looks just lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice reliable recipe with a very tasty result. 😀

      Delete
  9. Your cake looks so delicious:) Here on the Gold Coast it's Show Day tomorrow so a day off making it a long weekend. Last day of winter is 31st August and we've been having a mini heat wave with Saturday being forecast as 34 degrees🥵 I always enjoy seeing your food shopping purchases and the prices are (to me) such a bargain👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I couldn't cope with that sort of heat, although just a little bit of warmth would be nice before Autumn sets in properly.

      Delete
  10. I've been so fed up of the rain here, this week. It would be lovely to enjoy a little more sunshine before school starts again.
    Your cake looks delicious. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just some nice warm, dry weather would be great this week, especially for everyone that is back at school next week. 🌞

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.