Thursday 22 August 2024

Not Really Shopping ...

 


I went into Booths yesterday after seeing online that they were honouring last week's free Italian Pesto.  Which hadn't turned up in most, if not all of their stores last week much to a lot of people's dismay on the Booths Facebook group, alongside this week's freebie which was to be a Bertolli oil.

It's not really shopping if you don't spend any money is it. 😀 


I walked in, picked up the freebies and joined the queue at the till, bravely not being tempted by guilt to pick up anything else that I didn't really need.  As you can see from the receipt they were freebies worth having. 


When I got home and had a closer look at the ingredients I found that although they were worth having ... I can't have them.  😔

I knew the pesto would have cheese in it and I was going to pass this on to Alan as he loves pesto pasta, but I had no idea that there would be whey powder and skimmed milk powder in the oil.  

WHY?

I'm guessing to help the other ingredients mix together better, and also to pad it out a bit with a very cheap product, thereby saving the manufacturer a lot of money.

Alan has now got both products and is very happy.  Me, I'll stick to my olive oil, the only ingredient listed on the bottle is oil made from olives.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Wow! I never would have expected to find those ingredients in the spray oil. It's a good job you checked. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous the things that manufacturers are adding both whey and/or skimmed milk powder to isn't it. :-(

      Delete
  2. It seems unnecessary doesn't it, but like you say, bulking ingredients save the manufacturer money 😏
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's sad they have to add flavour enhancers too, olive oil and some other oils actually have a really nice natural flavour. :-(

      Delete
  3. Free is always good - well, good for Alan anyway! Yes, when we take the trouble to read labels it's quite eye-opening. I bought a little snack pack of chargrilled steak bits for husband yesterday, yellow stickered. Only when I was unpacking them at home to put away, did I notice that actually they were vegan, so not steak at all (they looked incredibly like steak). Upon then reading the (vastly long) list of ingredients, I was shocked - many things I'd not even heard of. He ate them but said he wouldn't bother buying them again. He offered me some, as they're vegan and I no longer eat meat - having read the ingredients I politely declined. I like to know what I'm eating is actual real food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it being real food and not tinkered with, is a real bonus these days isn't it.

      Delete
  4. Just as well you checked the ingredients. Plus, just as well they were FREE! At least Alan did well out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did really well, he was pleased with the pesto especially as he's quite into pasta at the moment. 😀

      Delete
  5. Label reading is so tiresome but you have to be on the ball for those sneaky add ins!! You're right, why does oil need whey or milk powder?? Crazy!!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even things that I used to buy I still have to check regularly as whey is being added to all sorts of things. I guess they want to bulk things out and add extra protein for their 'high protein ' claims. But to add it to oil seems a step too far.🙁

      Delete
  6. What a dizzy! Two freebies you can’t use but at least they won’t be wasted. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never wasted, if we couldn't have used them they would have gone straight into the Foodbank trolley. This is something I do when it's an item that's no good for us.

      Delete
  7. It's a good thing that they were free and you were able to pass them on to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How annoying! Thank goodness you checked the label before pouring it all over your dinner! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really annoying, why do they add whey, why!!

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.