Monday 5 August 2024

The First Shopping of August - Blowing the Budget ... and 'Little Miss Not So Perfect'

 


With the Challenge of the last couple of weeks over, it seems that I went a bit 'wild in the aisles' last week.  We went to Morecambe again and Alan wanted to go into Morrisons to buy some more of their ready prepared salads items that you can choose from ... so I followed suit.

And bought a few other things as well.  😄

Those 'Moofreesas' are the closest thing to Maltesers that I have found up to now, oh I do miss Maltesers!!


I somehow managed to spend £28.52 in one fell swoop.


And then to cap it all I called to Booths for some things for Mum and managed to spend another £19.71.  

There was a bit of method in my madness as we went to the Garstang Show on Saturday and I wanted to take us a picnic lunch to save spending too much on food and drink.  It worked out well and the only thing we bought whilst there were a couple of coffees.


Last weeks Booths freebie was a tiny bottle of balsamic vinegar, seemingly it was valued at £1 according to the receipt on my phone.

So my total weeks spend was £48.23 ... I see another Challenge taking place at the end of this month!!



Just to prove to all you lovely folk that frequently tell me how clever I am, how you love all my tips and tricks and how impressed you get with my food knowledge ... proof that I don't always get it right.

I decided to try and turn the bowl of Easy Peelers that were left in the fridge at the end of the Challenge into a pot of marmalade as they were a bit dry and bitter, but the only sugar I had that I could spare was some dark brown sugar that has been in my cupboard for years.  Happily there was the exact amount of sugar that I needed for the amount of fruit juice I ended up with after boiling the Easy Peelers with some apple cores and a few lemon trimmings.

It seemed to go very well, but it set, and set, and then continued to set until it was like a jar of tyre rubber.  I had obviously taken my eyes of the pot for far to long and left it boiling away.  It took some getting out of my jar as I was determined not to waste a perfectly good jam jar on a portion of toffee/orange flavoured rubber.  😄


Most definitely NOT me.  😄



Sue xx


14 comments:

  1. Oooh-garlic pizza bases -yummy. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I know, I couldn't resist getting them again. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lol at your toffee jam! Happens so easily if you take your eye off it for a second. And I'd be trying to save a perfectly good jar too!!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my Bonne Maman jars, I was determined to rescue it. 😀

      Delete
  3. We all do these things from time to time. Makes me think that we are only human and also glad that we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's so easily done. Annoying though. 😄

      Delete
  4. I find Morrisons a bit pricey so don't go there much.
    I've had quite a few mishaps with preserve making over the years, mostly under set 😀 At least you hadn't made a huge vat of your jam/toffee 😉 Next time it'll be perfect again x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I won't be making it again, well at least not with dark brown sugar. 😂

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a good grocery shopping trip. Too bad about the jam, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a splurge, and to be honest when I got home I regretted not buying any fresh veggies. 😔

      Delete
  6. Well, you might not have ended up with tasty marmalade, but you gave me the biggest laugh of the day with your wonderful description of that rubber setting & setting & setting some more. Still tittering now as I type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a food stuff like it, I could barely prise it off the knife when I tried to get it out of the jar. 😄

      Delete
  7. I laughed out loud at your toffee creation, thank you! What did it taste like ? It might’ve been good with a slice of ‘non cheese cheese’ !Did you try heating it up, or decide that there’s a time to admit defeat? Where I live (Wellington, New Zealand) rents have become astronomical, and with the downturn in the economy (and job losses) the charity shops can’t afford the rents, so are closing up, so having a stall in a supermarket might be a good source of income for them.
    I do enjoy your blog, and am constantly impressed by your clever food tips.

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted like sweet rubber, I had trouble scraping it off my teeth!! I had to stand it in a bowl of boiling water and pour some into the jar to even start freeing it from the glass. I was just relieved to rescue my jam jar. :-)

      I guess they could do it this way, but here in the UK it's the supermarket that pick a local charity and ask for donated books. There is an honesty charity box to put your payment in that's usually chained to the table or bookcase. Then every few months they publish how much they have managed to raise. Ours is currently raising money for the Air Ambulance. Thank you for your kind words. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.