Monday 19 August 2024

Falling Down a Blogging Rabbit Hole



I got back from shopping yesterday (I'll show you what I bought on the next post), and while Alan was re-staining the fence panels outside, I decided to sort through one of the drawers in the living room, where I found my old Ration Challenge notebook.  It contains most of the photos that I used on the blog posts that I published while I was doing it for the last time.  I'm glad that I have kept it, it made for interesting reading and there are lots of nice simple recipes in there from the challenge days.

Then I fell down a blogging rabbit hole because I wanted to check which year the final Refugee Ration Challenge actually was, so I fired up the laptop and found the posts on my old blog 'A Smaller Life' ... it was 2022.

And HERE I am showing the contents of the ration pack when it arrived, after I had finalised my menu plans for the week.

There's not been a Refugee Ration Challenge since then, in a strange way I miss it as it did forge a good online community as well as raising a lot of money for refugees.


Looking at the meals I had that week really got me thinking.


Mostly about how much unnecessary and over-processed foods we buy and consume.


Which I am very guilty of!!


As you will see on my next post, when I show you the shopping that I had just bought.


I need to STOP IT and really simplify my purchases.


Gosh ... just look at the splurge shop I did at the end of the challenge, that was obviously a big kick back after a week of such simplicity.  Looking at it now really surprises me, it's a real case of from simplicity to excess, from needs to wants!

But it's good when you can make your self stop in your tracks and reassess things.  


Sue xx



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about your refugee food challenge - it was fascinating and informative and I remember how impressed I was that you and others were so unselfish to do this.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real mind opening exercise, it also highlighted for me what a fantastic group of blog followers I had. Between us we raised a lot of money for a very good cause. ❤️

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to wean myself from processed foods, but, it's easier said than done, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I think my problem is buying things out of habit, without thinking. It's only when I get home unpack that I realise that I've done it again.

      Delete
  3. It is much easier here to get away from processed food in the summer when foraging and gardens are in full swing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the time if year that I miss the old veggie patch and polytunnels, although I don't miss all the hard work that went into it.

      Delete
  4. The blogging 'rabbit hole' can be a dangerous (and bottomless) place when you've been blogging as long as you and I 😉

    LP has visited recently which led to a lot of "how long is it since we ...." which (as you well know) leads to hours of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that I will have a read of my old blog right through from start to finish ... but I don't have six months to spare. 😄

      Delete
  5. It's so easy to fall down a blogging rabbit hole, isn't it? I can waste hours looking back at my 15 years of blogging! I don't blame you for having a splurge after that challenge. One of our friends kept delivering those Higgidy pies to us during lockdown. They were very tasty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are brilliant pies aren't they. Far too tasty for their own good. I also like 'Clive's' pies. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.