Sunday 18 August 2024

It's Been Amazing ...

 


It's been amazing this year how long my stash of toiletries has lasted me, and continues to last me.

At the start of this year in a bid to cut shopping and save myself money, and also to monitor how long things last me, I decided to stop buying anything new and instead use up all the toiletries that were laying around in various places around the lodge.  They were everywhere initially, in the bedroom drawers, the basket in the wardrobe, in various make-up bags etc etc. as well as in the obvious place ... the bathroom.

I had lots of the freebies that Alan picks up when he stays in hotels on business trips, tiny shampoos, shower gels etc, I had stacks of things I had bought when they were on offer last year, toilet wipes, tissues and soaps,  and gifts from from family to me from the last two Christmases.

My first priority was to get rid of all the little bitty bits, and try and make what I had more logical.  In some ways I was saving the best for last, as I used up the sort of things that I wouldn't have dreamed of buying myself and all the annoying half full packs and containers of things.


Now I am down to the last little bar of hotel soap.


 The final bottle of Dove shower body wash.

(I don't clean my teeth in the shower, that's my old 'cleaning in small spaces' toothbrush that I use on the grout lines etc. 😄)


The last container of the body lotion from the Christmas gift pack two years ago.

Now things are starting to get much more logical and the stash is greatly reduced.  Everything fits in the two small baskets in my little bathroom shelf unit, one of which is in the top picture next to the contents of the other.  It was good going through everything this morning as I found a hand-cream that I didn't know I had, so that's another couple of weeks without having to buy a tube of hand-cream then. 😀


The only other things that I have are in the bathroom cabinet, including my stash of face creams, which were all bought in the week between Christmas and New Year last year when they were on a good offer, saving me over £5 a pack ... I'm glad I stocked up.

 It's good to be on the journey to just have in stock the few items that I use and need, and to be slowly getting through all of the things that I don't particularly like.  For instance I don't like shower gels or liquid soaps in plastic bottles, I'm a bar soap girl through and through and always have been.  I like one sort of body lotion that comes in a tub not a squeezy bottle, that way there's no fighting to get every last little bit out and I can remember what it smells like, unlike things that people have bought me that I have no idea about, and I don't like lots of choices ... I like the things that I like, and if they work for me I don't really see the need to experiment with others.  So I tend to want to have one bar of soap, one tube of toothpaste, one face-cream, one hand-cream, one deodorant, one shampoo etc etc.

I've been thinking about next years finances a lot this weekend, and getting right back to basics is going to be very necessary next year when I retire a year early and yet have no state pension coming in.  It's not scary in the least, in fact it's somehow strangely invigorating the thought of it all.


Sue xx


21 comments:

  1. Soap for me too and shaving soap for DH. We buy packs of Waitrose Essential Sensitive soaps when we go for a free coffee on our way home from a town near here. I grate it to make our laundry liquid too. I use Pure liquid soap or Savon de Marseille for handwash. I reused a little handgel bottle with liquid soap and carry some with me because the detergent handwashes make my skin sore. TK Maxx has lovely soaps and liquid soaps, I look for them in the red stickered section.
    I am using the last of the old detergent shower gel to wash things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds amazing. Oh I do miss Waitrose free coffees and their magazine. 🙂

      Delete
  2. This is lovely and reminds me that I have quite a lot of using up to do.....husband bought me stacks of hand cream at Xmas for instance . I'm trying now, as much as possible, to stop buying potions and lotions in plastic bottles. Making quite a bit myself which has turned into a much loved hobby. Always good to plan ahead too.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine and Alan's only splurge is nice lavender soap (no doubt due to me selling so much of the stuff in my old shop and us getting addicted), I've not used any of my last purchases of it this year while I've been using everything else up. Soon it will be time to change that. 😃

      Delete
  3. I used to travel a lot and collected dozens of little packet soaps but they were just too small to put out for family use.
    So I threw them all into a lovely old pot by the sink in the bathroom that I mainly use and for the last few years I've been slowly working my way through them on my own - its saved me pounds on soaps !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had lots of the hotel soaps, I unwrapped them all so that they would harden off and they last ages that way. Maybe I shouldn't have told him to stop collecting them all, but all the plastic was starting to annoy me.

      Delete
  4. I’m not keen on people giving me smellies as like you, I am particular about what I like. We use Simple products as they are perfume free. A few drops of lavender oil in the bath is lovely. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I used to love some lavender oil in the bath. Alan adds a drop to his steam iron as he likes his shirts to have a faint scent too.

      Delete
  5. I mainly use a bar of soap too although I do like having an antibacterial liquid soap by the kitchen sink. Mainly to clean my hands after dealing with dog poop!!! Retiring early is easy if you do the planning. And you do love a good plan/challenge!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really used 'anti-bacterial' hand-wash etc since learning on my soap course that all soap is exactly that.

      My main plan during that first year is to let Alan pay for everything, because being a year older than me, he will have his state pension on top of his Navy pension. 😄

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately the last gifted shower gel I used really upset my skin, and it took a couple of weeks for me to realise it was causing the itching as I'd also been getting over some insect bites. I had to buy a bottle of sanex shower cream which has really helped calm things down. My resourceful daughter recently grated all her mini hotel soaps and reformed them into larger bars. We do seem to get through a lot of toothpaste. Clearly we are economical with loo rolls, judging by how much gets used when visitors come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always shocked at the amount of toilet paper some people get through, I try not to think of pipes getting blocked, never mind the expense.

      Delete
  7. I have been working on those bits and bobs for the last couple of years (I have sons that keep purchasing me those types of things). Perhaps one day they will all be cleared out, but right now I am pretty thankful that I have them to use in my quest to save money.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does save a lot of money working through the stash doesn't it. 😀

      Delete
  8. I too like bar soap, and I have decided to not buy any toiletries until I have finished the backlog that I have hopefully saving loads (Sandy Mid Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we are committed to doing the same thing. 😀

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you've a stock of soaps and lotions to last you a long time. I, too, prefer bar soaps and I have my preferred brand which I buy when it goes on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a few left, but the stash at the start of the year was ridiculous. I'm much happier that everything is contained in the bathroom.

      Delete
  10. Our money and plastic saving on deodorants is to use Salt of the Earth crystal, bought on offer at Holland and Barrett. They last for years. I dropped mine and it broke, so I put the bits in a small jam jar with some water and used the solution.
    Excessive use of loo rolls. Tell me about it! I was Midwife, and most nights I had to don apron and gloves and unblock at least one toilet on the ward. Midwives help people out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dropped and broke my last Salt of the Earth deodorant too, but I didn't think to use the bits like you did. I had been using it successfully for about three years though, so I definitely got my moneys worth ... and saved a lot of plastic.

      I can't remember when I got the Mitchum deodorants that I've been using this year but I bought three and I still have one untouched in the basket, so they have lasted well. Storing it upside down for the last three weeks or so works well for longevity. :-)

      Delete
  11. I love soap - I think one of the reasons I keep going back to Corfu is so I can stock up on Patounis olive oil soap (I could buy it online but where's the fun in that?) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.