Monday 30 September 2024

Where Did September Go? - End of Month Figures

 


September ... it's been the strangest of months for many reasons.

To bring things up to date ... I sorted through my wardrobe and did a basic sweep of things I hadn't worn all Summer and also the things that proved annoying to wear.  I don't know about you but I like to be comfortable in my clothes and as I get older anything that annoys me gets short shrift.

I put away the lightest of clothes that I wanted to keep for next year and then sorted through my shoes.  The pale blue trainers will come out again next Spring when the weather is drier and my clothes are once again lighter.  The darker ones are all staying out.  The weather has turned so much colder this week that I can see all the Winter jumpers coming out and a final seasonal sort through being done.


With lots of sorting done both of my clothes and of things around the lodge, I decided to do a small table top sale to support the local Scout and Guide groups.  Alan showed his support by munching through lots of bacon butties while we were there and we both drank numerous coffees.  Somehow we still managed to come away with almost £50 profit from the sale.  Everything left over was donated to the local charity shop as it was pretty good stuff.


There was some more food shopping done after my £2 a Day Challenge week, but with everything going on I didn't record any amounts, so I am classing it as a full spend of £25 for the week even though I think it was probably a bit less.

Using that as a figure means that in September I spent a total of £76.96.  Thank goodness I did do my challenge week, as it kept me under budget and accountable.

Alan has had his first hand operation and is currently out of action and having a few days off from the day job.  Mum had three falls in three days resulting in two ambulance call outs.  They classed the first discharge from hospital as a Failed Discharge and kept her in the second time.  They then tried to send her home yet again until we put our feet very firmly down and made them realise that Mum going through the whole 'get found on the floor by your carer, call an ambulance out, visit A&E, get moved onto two different wards and then get sent home' idea was not a good one for either their time or resources.  Far better to get to the root of the problem and then plan for a safe discharge to a nursing home.  

We will just have to wait and see what the next few days brings, it can only get better ... hopefully!!  😄



Sue xx




3 comments:

  1. So sorry about your Mum - the system is struggling isnt it? My volunteer Visitor work at the local hospital means I meet so many people who have had a fall, gone to main hosp by ambulance, then get sent out to our little 'rehab' ward until they are able to walk again. Then they go home....and then a while later....oh dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I'm so sorry you and your mum are going through this. It happened with my own mum and then my father in law. They were both in, out, in and out of hospital and so on, right up to the last 2 weeks of their lives when they should have been settled in care and relaxing for the last stint. You and Alan are both determined people so, hopefully, the right thing for your mum will be done.

    Sending good wishes to Alan too, that he'll heal quickly.

    Well done on the table top sale result. A good tidy up and money in your pocket too! Can't be bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So frustrating. Mum and MIL went through the fall, hospital, home routine several times, both managing to break fragile, old bones. Mum went to a rehab unit where the staff wouldn’t let her out of bed in case she fell.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.