Friday 13 September 2024

A Trip Down Memory Lane ....

 


Back Alley Hebden Bridge 1
Photography Fran Wilson

Isn't this image just so atmospheric, I love it.  Images like this really jump out at me and make me drink in every detail.  I follow Fran on Facebook and all his photography is just wonderful.  I did get his permission to share these images here.  He's a nice guy.


Back Alley Hebden Bridge 2
Photography Fran Wilson

When I bought my little terraced house in Barrow in Furness after my divorce in 2004, the back alley was very similar to this, although we had small back yards behind our houses not just an alley as seen in these photos.  So most of us could bring our wheelie bins back into the yard after the dustbin men had emptied them, leaving the alley much clearer.

Once emptied they were always left at the end of the alley for us to collect them.  As I always kept mine super clean if I wasn't there to get it sharpish, someone else would claim it as their own.  I painted a large No. 17 in white gloss paint on it in the end to try and stop this, but to no avail.  By the time I sold that house there were about six bins out on bin day with a large No. 17 painted on them. πŸ˜„


The front of the houses.  

As you can see  from this photo  there was always ongoing repairs to the brickwork of these houses as they were bought and sold, this was partly due to bomb damage during WW2.  This street is not far behind the Town Hall which was used in the film Housewife, 49 with Victoria Wood which was set in Barrow in Furness.  Of course the town was a major target during the war years as Barrow is the home of a very large shipyard formerly known as Vickers ... and this of course is how I met Alan as submarines are built there, and sail in and out of the yard.  

We started our life together in my house on this street nineteen years ago next month.


My lovely little cat Pepper, the one my salt cellar is named after, sat in the back yard of my house.  The upright piece of wood was his scratching post and the one he's sat on his sitting plank.  He didn't like to sit on the wet concrete after it rained, but didn't mind wet wood.  πŸ’–



Sue xx


18 comments:

  1. Charles Parker in the Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L. Sayers is from Barrow in Furness, that’s all I know. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something very appealing about those photos. We lived in a terraced house in Buxton a few years ago - I loved it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rented a terraced house when I left my first husband and it made me realise how cheap they are to run, after all your neighbours keep you cosy on either side. I really enjoyed my time living in terraces.

      Delete
  3. What atmospheric photos. I've always lived in detached houses (apart from a So'ton flat when I was married the first time). Tam always complained when she lived in a terraced house in Sheffield, as she said the neighbours were always noisy/inconsiderate. I suppose it depends where you are, neighbours vary and I think some of hers were probably students too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it, I've lived in all styles of housing, flats, semi-detached, detached, terraced, an annexe, a bungalow and of course even a caravan. If I had to choose a favourite I think it would be a bungalow.

      I've always been lucky with neighbours when I've had them, thank goodness. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. Pretty little town my step daughter lived there for a year as a volunteer youth worker with the church there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is isn't it, we were there last year. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  5. Fran's photos are brilliant, I love seeing real images of our streets, not those tampered with Instagrammable images.
    Pepper was a gorgeous cat, a handsome tuxedo like my handsome boy Stephen. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a beautiful boy. As you can see from his eyes he was a very elderly puss in this photo, he died in his sleep about two weeks after this photo was taken, so I've always treasured it. 🐈‍⬛

      Delete
  6. I love terraced houses, and those photographs are wonderful. I visited Hebden Bridge, just last month. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely town isn't it, and so hilly with winding roads.πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. We’ve been to Beamish two days this week and the 1950s village took me right back to my childhood especially the Police Station as I spent all my life from 1-21 living in police houses. The photos are amazing-what a lot of detail in each of them. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Beamish, a true step back in time. It's a couple of years since I've been there now. I need to go back again some point to see the 1950s town, it was being built last time we were there. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  8. Your Pepper was beautiful!
    The photographs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very special cat with a beautiful temperament. I had a big Ginger female cat at the same time and she acted as though she hated him, but he hero worshipped her. He sat with her as she was dying, it was the only time she ever cuddled up to him. So perhaps she secretly like him and was letting him know.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful post SueπŸ’– Loved the photos, especially of Pepper 😻🐈‍⬛ I was born in a very old terraced house in Manchester in the 50's and left when I was 12 years old. I've lived in 3 countries and moved I think last count 23 times but the little terraced house in Manchester was tops, perhaps it was having all my family around, neighbours and communityπŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terraced houses do make for very special communities don't they. ❤️

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.