Monday 16 September 2024

My £2 a Day Food Shopping Challenge


With the colder weather coming and me feeling a bit lethargic at the end of a Summer that we never really had, I decided to set myself a Challenge.  

A proper Challenge just like I used to do on my 'Challenging Myself' blog.  It's one that I will post about each and every day just after it happens all through this week.  And this challenge is:

My £2 a Day Food Shopping Challenge

My very first challenge on that old blog (which is always in the Blog List on my sidebar), was in 2018 and was a £1 a day food challenge aptly called 'The Eating for £1 Per Day Challenge'.  That one was done by buying all the four weeks worth of food in virtually one go and then using it over the course of the twenty eight days that the challenge lasted for.  Then in 2021 I did another low budget challenge, 'The £3 a Day Challenge' but this one was going out just before each meal armed with a £1 coin to see what I could buy for each meal ... so I shopped three times a day.  Luckily I lived just across the road from Sainsbury's then!

So this time I decided to switch things up a bit, allow for inflation and go for a £2 per day challenge, with each new amount being available one day at a time.


I decided to allow myself the luxury of a very basic pantry.

Instant coffee, olive oil, salt and pepper, mixed herbs, chilli flakes, garlic granules and a tub of stock powder.  That's it ... I did say basic.  😁

Here are the rules that I gave myself for the £3 a day challenge, slightly modified to fit this new one:


I will go out each day armed with my shopping bag and £2.

Any change can be carried forward to the next day.

Any food not consumed can be carried forward to the next day.

Yellow stickered foods are allowed, indeed they are positively encouraged.

I will take photos of the shopping and of any meals prepared from it.

I will post at least once daily for the whole week.




I hope this all makes sense, any questions please feel free to ask today and I will try and answer them.



Sue xx



26 comments:

  1. Good to see you doing another challenge - The Good Old Days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about needing a challenge at this time of year (mine involves a rucksack and water bottle 🀣)

    Given the effect of inflation on grocery shopping over the last few years I'm going to watch this with much interest, am guessing you will only be able to have much in the way of fresh fruit/vet by getting yellow-sticker bargains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sounds amazing. πŸ‘

      I'm trawling Sainsbury's online shopping and putting things in and out of my 'basket' to try and give myself ideas.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ooh, I hadn't even noticed that ... a yellow stickered vet would be a useful addition to our house. πŸ˜„

      Delete
  4. Oo, a Challenge! I like these :-)
    Ulvmor (still not figured out how to keep signed in to comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google and Blogger between them make everything hard don't they. Anonymous is fine as long as you add your name ... like you just have done. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. Great challenge and allowing yourself the seasonings will definitely make a difference. Will you also use the things from your extras eg mayonnaise as you gathered them when out and about and chose not to waste them? I think you should allow yourself these little extras. Looking forward to seeing what you make. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to use them this time but that's a great idea for my next challenge. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Best of luck with the challenge.
    According to my bank statement, I shopped for groceries four times last month, spending just £78. DH spent about £40 on milk, fruit and veg. The cupboards and freezer are still too full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very good going. πŸ˜€ Yes, my cupboard is still very full, although the freezer has gone down quite a bit.

      Delete
  7. Oh this is right up my street - I can't wait to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really looking forward to this x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I. It's been a while since I did this sort of challenge. πŸ˜„

      Delete
  9. Good luck with the challenge! I'm sure you'll ace it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting! I always love your food challenges. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, goody. Another challenge. They are the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad that you like them. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  12. Oh I always enjoyed your challenges and admire your discipline . Good luck. June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the discipline I need at the moment, as well as something to focus on. Thank you. πŸ™‚

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.