Wednesday 2 October 2024

The Books That I Read in September

 


The first 'book' that I read last month was an unusual one ... my own, in a way.

In 2016 I did an almost year long Challenge that I started a fresh blog for and called 'A Year Without ... Clothes, Books or Housekeeping Money'.  Over the course of that year I didn't buy any new clothes, books or anything for the house.  My housekeeping/food shopping money came from our Sealed Pot cash saved up for over the previous year, and lots of M&S and Tesco vouchers and Nectar points, a total at the start of the year of just £504.18 for the two of us.  We did get some more vouchers over the course of that year as we were paying for building work on our old Welsh house with the M&S credit card.

Throughout the year I kept this diary, printing out the blog page for each day and sticking it in.  It made for fascinating reading for me over the course of more than a week of last month.


It was good to have something that I could pick up and put down at the drop of a hat while we had so much going on.  I've kept it, so that I can read through it again in a few years time.  It really doesn't seem eight years since we did that Challenge.




The first real book that I read was this one.  It was an unusual book and one that after reading about it in a few places, I fully expected it to be.



I really enjoyed reading something so different.




I am currently just about half-way through this book.  It took me a while to get into, but now that I am, I'm really enjoying it, and if there's one thing I really want to do at the moment it's hunker down for Winter.


What book do you have on the go at the moment?


Sue xx




10 comments:

  1. I remember your Sealed Pots, I used to do something similar but now that I go into physical shops so rarely and most purchases are by card it has gone by the wayside.

    Is your "year without" blog still online? Re-reading old blogs is a wonderful thing, we've discussed it before 😘. I love reading about the little moments which would otherwise be forgotten, don't ever get rid of them, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm re-reading "Wintering". It's speaking very differently to me second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished a Felix (son of Dick) Francis book from a CS. It was quite disappointing. Murder in chapter 1. I decided a character in ch 2 was the killer. Two more murders and two attempted... And in penultimate chapter the guy from ch 2 suddenly appears again and is revealed as the baddie. Not the best Francis book, but it sent me off to sleep on three nights so I guess it achieved its purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of printing out old blog posts and making a "book" with them.
    I'm currently reading two e-books I've borrowed from the library and skimming through several of my own books as I decide if I should keep them or declutter them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to print out your posts-I remember that challenge so well! it’s our u3a readers’ group this afternoon and I am looking forward to seeing what book we are given by the library. I have also downloaded The Figurine by Victoria Hyslop to read as my bedtime snack. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea you had in 2016 with turning the blog into a book, and that was a really good challenge.

    I find looking back at blog posts now makes me incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back is something I daren't do yet too.

      Delete
  7. I've just finished the latest Barbara Erskine book, The Story Spinner, which is set in Wales again. A good read and I am grateful to my friend Gay who loaned me her copy so I could read it first. I've just started on one she also sent me A Litter of Bones by J D Kirk, which is a crime thriller. Upstairs I am reading The Whalebone Theatre by Joanna Quinn, which is brilliant and I recommend. Then I've got the five local history books from the Library. I'm learning more about Builth as the History Society have asked if I would help by volunteering in their shop. Am considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea to print out your blog posts! I need to follow your example asap. The photos on my blog disappear after one year, leaving only text. I don't know why. It's something to do with BlogTouch, the app I use for blogging on my iPhone. Margaret Butterworth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just reading the Sustainable Home by Christine Liu, very interesting (Sandy mid wales)

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.