Thursday 24 October 2024

Sorting Through the Freebies


I went in the little cupboard to put a couple of salt sachets and a mayonnaise one in my little 'freebie bowl' and realised just how full it was getting.

It was time to do something about it. 😀 


I sorted them all into like-with-like piles and was amazed at how much that little bowl had held,  and how much I had collected.


I then started adding the salt to the salt tub, the pepper to the pepper pot and the sugar to the sugar jar.  The sauce sachets all went back into the bowl, along with a few each of salt, pepper and some sweeteners just in case we go self-catering anywhere in the near future.

The biscuits were popped on the shelf ready to take out with me should we go somewhere for a coffee.  Alan usually buys himself a cake too, but there's rarely any dairy-free options for me, so a biscuit stops me sulking.  😁 

After trying one of the coffee sachets, I decided they were so like the Nescafe instant coffee that I usually drink, that I might as well open them up and tip them all into the little jar that I keep on the worktop.


Of course I will continue to bring home any sachets and napkins that are given to us and that we don't make use of in the shop.  In fact I have even gotten to a stage whereby if I see something that is completely untouched left behind on a table, I will claim that for myself too.

I'm not quite at the stage of Sarah Wilson, who used to write about asking strangers for their leftovers if they were about to get up from a table in a restaurant leaving good food on their plates, always having little zip-lock bags and containers with her just in case.  

I don't think I'm that committed to avoiding waste ... yet!!


Sue xx




2 comments:

  1. I hate waste, so like yourself I have accumulated a small pile of sachets. I now have a small pile of Barbecue sauce pots (McDonald's), gathered from meals on the hop during the few weeks I spent hospital visiting.
    I would, however, draw the line at asking strangers for their leftovers. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to see food go to waste, but, like you, I don't think I would ask strangers for their leftovers! That would be a bit too much, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.