Saturday 12 October 2024

Food Cupboard - January/April and Now

April 2024

I promised that I would show photos of the food cupboard as it was in April and as it is now for comparison.  So for your delight and delectation here they are.

October 2024

At first glance there doesn't seem to be that much difference, but the coffee came up from the lower cupboard and I have eaten my way through a lot of the tinned salmon and tuna which isn't even visible in the April photo.


I honestly thought I had January photos of the bottom cupboard too, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, either in my photo files or on any blog post.  It's obviously one of those occasions where I think I've done something ... but I haven't!!

So you'll just have to take my word that this bottom cupboard was packed, so much so that things were balanced on top of things, all in a rather slapdash way.  There was no wood visible inside the cupboard and closing the door meant I had to put the catch on immediately to keep things from escaping.  Now everything is in a single layer, which makes it much easier for seeing what I have got, or haven't got when I get down to look.


The pasta basket was full to the underneath of the shelf, now it's more organised and even contains my noodles too.

Basket Drawers January 2024

I'd forgotten just how full these were at the start of the year, I had just about managed to make enough space to use one of them for my potatoes in this photo, and was proud of that.

Basket Drawers October 2024

I don't know why, but somehow I'm even prouder of them now.  

This is the same photo I showed you the other day, it's handy for comparisons sake though.  The Deliciously Ella order that Alan bought for me for Christmas will stay there until I have used up all the other 'Plants' jars in the main cupboard and then these might move over, it will probably be at Christmas time or even after before the others get used up anyway ... and then I'll have four empty drawers.  😁

It's very satisfying to see how things have gone down, it's been a slow process as I tend to buy things and use them first, something that I have to make a real effort not to do on a regular basis.  But trying to curb the spending for a while means that hopefully the contents of the top cupboard will soon be even lower, although I have decided that it makes a lot of sense to keep a little stockpile of the things I use most regularly in the bottom cupboard.

With the world and the prices the way they are at the moment, we all need a little safety net.

Do you have one?


Sue xx



6 comments:

  1. I have been looking at the local auction site Staceys, and found more than half a dozen Beryle cook paintings. I probably should not tempt you but its nice to look . https://www.staceyauction.com/Catalogue__456_-1_0_64_new

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to have a freezer full of good things to eat and then suddenly it’s full of bread and nothing else! We did a top up shop on Tuesday and popped into the instore Costa’s as it was now lunchtime. Won’t be making that mistake again-Just over £15 for a bacon roll, half toasted cheese sandwich and a small and medium coffee. Didn’t enjoy it and DH was hungry an hour later. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certain goods I always like to have in store and one of them is tinned fish - I like tinned crab best and sardines; I've gone off tuna a bit as I've had so much and it can be a bit rich.
    Sardines on toast, a must-have once it's crossed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks nicely full, we use that Bouilon. but not as many tins, but we probably shop more than you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a big stock now - might do a post with a nosey into my cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have quite a well stocked pantry and I'm ordering a small freezer at the end of this month as I have what is known as an apt. sized fridge (about 5 feet tall and only 27 inches wide) which includes a freezer compartment. I have always stocked up in Nov. as I walk with the aid of a cane and don't drive and Winters can get quite nasty here. Since Covid I have done even more so now I tend to shop loss leaders and sale items and just fresh fruit & veg, milk & bread from week to week. My intent is to assess everything at the end of the year and then for Jan. Feb. & March just keep $100 per month for groceries and work through some of my stocks - it needs to be rotated and used so this is a good way to do it over the Winter months. There should still be plenty even after that but it's also a good chance to look at what I truly eat and what I don't.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.