Friday 4 October 2024

The Second Shopping of October ... and Then the First

 

My second food shopping trip of October was this lovely looking lot and it cost me £45.33

After going back through all my other shopping photos prior to this month, I came to the realisation that I have been eating far too many ultra processed foods, and including far too many bread products and things in packets and boxes that just shouldn't be a part of a healthy diet on the level that I was eating them.

This was one of the main reasons for the monitoring of my food purchases this year, and of course the desire to keep the food budget as low as possible.  Having the photos of each shopping trip to look back on is a real help.

So this month I have started a new regime eating many more vegetables alongside more protein in the form of eggs and fish ... with no breadcrumbs or batter.  So hopefully a lot less carbs and UPFs in my diet going forward.


My supermarket trolley.


Happily while I was browsing the shelves in Sainsbury's I spotted that my favourite toilet rolls were once again on offer.  I last bought these in January of this year when they were on offer at £9.95 instead of the usual £13.25.  The twenty four rolls lasted me for 28 weeks, but when I had almost run out they weren't on offer, so I tried a different Sainsbury's own label.  It was partly a price based decision and partly for a comparison of quality.  Those sixteen rolls lasted me just 10 weeks.

It turned out that although the cheaper ones worked out at just 65p per week and these Cushelle rolls cost me 71p per week, the quality and usability of the Cushelle far outweighs the others.  So I am back to my favourites and happily these packs should see me well into the New Year, even if they did slightly blow the budget this week.


The things that I bought for Alan and thus outside of my weekly budget.


The first shopping of October was a dozen eggs, destined to be eaten with lots of the things from the second shopping shown above, but I've not had time to upload the photo ... so here it is.  

They were £4.50 from Booths.

So out of my £100 per month budget I have already spent a total of £49.83 this week, but with £19.70 of that total being on toilet rolls, it means that only £25.63 went on the food from Sainsbury's ... now that sounds a little bit better.  😄



Sue xx



6 comments:

  1. A colourful shopping haul. I swing between buying cheapie loo roll and the better quality brands, I think loo rolls are definitely a product where less is not more!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fresh produce and unprocessed items. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice fresh shopping photo for a change. 😀

      Delete
  3. I like the " Laid by Laid back Hens" - conjures up a wonderful picture!

    Been getting loo rolls from the Who gives a Crap company for several years now. 1 delivery in a big box and colourful wrappers on each roll. One thing less to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried Who Gives a Crap rolls when we lived in Wales and neither of us liked them in any way. The ethos yes, but the paper and it's quality was a big no. 🫤

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.