Friday 1 March 2024

My February Reading

 


I started the month with this little book.

I was going through the bookcase looking for something to read and this caught my eye, ten minutes later it had been read and the images pored over.  I love the drawings of Tasha Tudor and I have this little book as well as a recipe book of hers.


This one is simply a couple of images for each month of the year along with just a few words.



I started to read this and then my interest waned.

 I'm not always good at reading short stories and I tend to lose interest after a couple as I don't feel there's anything to really 'get into'.  I will save it and carry on from where I left off when I need a book that I can dip into for a short time.


This was my next book and what a difference.  It is a brilliant story set during the second world war and the characters are wonderfully rounded.  I felt myself wanting to use the popular words of the time in my daily speech.

All in all it was a splendid read.  😄 


Next it was a cook book, well I have to read through at least one of my cook books each month.  🥘



One recipe caught my attention as I had a couple of red peppers that I was planning to add to a dish of Mediterranean vegetables for my weekly batch cook, and along with the tomatoes I thought this is going to be a very red finished dish.  So I used one of them for this.


Sadly I had already started sautéing the onion (I didn't have any spring onions) and letting the  pepper halves warm up in the air fryer when I discovered that I didn't have any cous cous, oh well half a pouch of microwaveable rice stood in very nicely and my tea was cooked in no time.

Although it seems like a very small tea, it was very tasty and very satisfying.


So I have not read many books this month, but the ones that I have read have been varied and overall very enjoyable.  I am currently about a third of my way through my next book and that will be classed as the first one of March.


Sue xx




20 comments:

  1. I really like Miguel Barclay's books- there's some splendid ideas. And you have reminded me - I must dig them out and find some new to me recipes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good aren't they, I have all his books. Perhaps I should look through a few more and cook some more of the recipes. With all the recipes being for one person they are really easy books to use, and everything I have tried from them up to now has worked out perfectly. I was watching some of them being cooked on his YouTube channel the other morning too.

      Delete
  2. My Feb total was 9. I must try Dear Mrs Bird again. I couldn't get on with it when it was first out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you did so much better than me. :-)

      Give it another go, it took me a while to get really into it but then I was hooked. I have the follow-up too, perhaps I should read that this month before I forget the story too much.

      Delete
  3. I'm staying at my daughter's this weekend, on Grandparent Duty. The £1 Meals cookbook is on the bookshelf in the kitchen. I shall read it while I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, read it while you are there. :-)

      Delete
  4. Nothing to do with reading but I've just found a Youtube channel called ' The Kitchen Scrap ' - an Australian guy challenging himself to live for the year on British WW2 rations. Thought it might interest you! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been following Jake since he started. We're both in the Facebook group, on there he's known as Frugal Jake. His editing on the videos is amazing isn't it. :-)

      https://www.youtube.com/@thekitchenscrap/featured - this is the link to his channel if anyone would like to go and have a watch.

      Delete
  5. I used to read quite a lot of short stories but just don't enjoy them now - tastes change😀
    The stuffed peppers look very tasty
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, it used to feel good to dip into a short story here and there, now I seem to need to 'get my teeth into' a proper story. I guess me perusing the cook books is now my replacement 'short stories'. The peppers were delicious, the feta style cheese really adds to the flavour. I will buy some cous cous though next time I'm shopping, and have an action replay.

      Delete
  6. Loved Dear Mrs Bird and the next one Yours Cheerfully. It’s been freezing overnight and hope we escape the snow that is supposed to be coming. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Your Cheerfully as soon as I finish my current book, before I lose track of the story. The weather here today is atrocious.

      Delete
  7. That's made me fancy stuffed peppers. They look lovely and we haven't had them for ages. I have added the ingredients to my next shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have them often enough, they are such a tasty and simple meal aren't they. 🙂

      Delete
  8. The good news is that after you've read AJ Pearce's Yours Cheerfully, there is a third book--Mrs Porter Calling. I've enjoyed them all--or should I say, I've inhaled them all. You might want to take your time. :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorely tempted to buy all three books at the same time, but for once I thought I would be cautious and read the first two before getting the third ... just in case. But I do think I'll be getting it if the second is as good as the first. They are easy to get into and stay reading aren't they. :-)

      Delete
  9. Stuffed peppers are so filling. Never have I tried them with red peppers though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of all the colour the red ones taste the sweetest when eaten this way, but they all have their good points. :-)

      Delete
  10. Being temporarily (I hope!) visually impaired, I've been listening to audiobooks for the last fortnight.
    I often used to order stuffed peppers when I was travelling around India. They're completely different to the aromatic rice filled ones (gemista) I eat in Greece, the Indian ones are filled with spiced potatoes and are absolutely gorgeous. This recipe is really good: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/stuffed-capsicum-recipe-stuffed-bell-peppers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I do hope your eye is getting better, it must be so frustrating when you are such a visual person. :-(

      Now that sounds like a good filling, I would never have thought to put potatoes into a pepper.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.