Wednesday 28 February 2024

The Final Food Shop of February ...

 


So Sue in Suffolk yesterday used the title I had planned for today, to quote John hey ho ... I'll still use it anyway.  😃

Now this shopping looks a lot different to the other shops as it includes things for the dogs, Alan and my Mum.  The reason for this is because I wanted to use some of the Nectar points that I accrued over the whole of last year.  I had just over £40 worth and by stocking up on the dog food that we needed and that Alan usually buys, as well as getting a couple more things to take to Mum's this week, I managed to spend £30 of them.

I did not want to risk anything going amiss with my points as it did for Ali recently, so spending a big chunk of them seemed very wise.


Here is my receipt ...


... and here is my part of the Nectar point shop, and I only had to spend £1.54 of this months money to get all of the food.

I have shopped eight times this month, weirdly I bet this is going to be the most shopping trips in one month over the course of the year, and ironically in the shortest month.

My total spend for February is surprisingly just £57.45.

I'm really happy with that and it means along with last months carried forward amount of £14.79, I now have £42.55 from this month to carry forward.  A total of £57.34 unspent in the first two months of the year.  Now it's obviously not going to be this good later on in the year as I will have to start buying more and more as the stocks in the cupboard and freezer start to dwindle, but it's getting me ahead nicely and I hope to be under budget each month for at least the first half of the year.

Oh, and I have to mention that it was buying the single courgette the other day for 73p that made me check through my seeds to see if I had any seeds for planting this year.  I found some but only for yellow courgettes and I much prefer the green ones.  So now I have a packet and with up to twenty seeds in the packet for just £2 it's a lot cheaper than buying a courgette every week. 😀


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. How funny - I much prefer the yellow courgettes! We're all different!
    You're doing so well, congratulations. I have a bit of a list but am trying to hold off until Friday so I can call it a March spend. Swings and roundabouts really, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have one yellow courgette plant and two green ones this year and try to get in the habit of using both. Alan doesn't mind green or yellow so he can eat some too.

      Delete
  2. You came well under budget, this month! Well done1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's obviously pretty easy not to spend too much while I have so much food in the cupboards, but I'm still enjoying being mindful about it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so pleased you didn't lose your Nectar points. Well done on coming in under budget! I've decided to just track my yearly budget (although aiming for around £100 a month) as I'm hoping to spend less in the Summer months by eating out of the garden and plot. I'm doing my March supermarket shop tomorrow (29th Feb) so I still get my double points in Tesco. Plus I need to fill up the car while I'm there as my fuel light came on last night. More double points!! Saving money at the supermarket takes effort but totally worth it if you take the time :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt your pain losing all those Nectar points, when we try so hard to be careful and plan ahead it's so disappointing when things like that happen isn't it. I am much happier with only £10 left to spend on the card, but I might still go and invest in something with that just to be on the safe side, there are so many scams going around at the moment. I'm enjoying following your frugal planning and posts, I hope your garden is very fruitful for you this year.

      Delete
  4. Like you I prefer the green courgettes, the yellow seem drier and have a tendency to tough skin......but like Joy says ....... personal choice.......
    I noticed the Plaice, I enjoy that for a change but can't find it local to us at the moment 😏
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going off fish a bit at the moment, so I thought I would have a little splurge on something different while I had the points to spend to see if it was just cod that I was going off ... it's not!

      Delete
  5. I too much prefer green courgettes. Well done on your low spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As well as the flavour of the green courgettes I think it the little splash of colour that they add to the dish isn't it. Thank you. xx

      Delete
  6. I share your pain about the price of courgettes - just checked my Sainsbury's bill . . . 2 courgettes = £1.99 !!! Guess who will be buying courgette seeds next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's shocking isn't it, but I guess they are totally out of season at the moment and are whizzing their way around the world to us. I guess it is YOU that will be buying courgette seeds next week.

      We need to remind ourselves of these comments when we have courgettes coming out of our ears in a couple of months. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to use one of my courgettes as a substitute for chips; slice them and cook in the airfryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... I've not done that for ages. I used to like them dipped in batter and deep fried too.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.