Sunday 18 February 2024

Being Prepared

 

On my kitchen shelves I always like to have my largest jars on display, the ones that hold the most basics of basics.  I have always done this it helps me feel prepared for anything ... 

... remember my shelves in Wales. ๐Ÿ’–

As well as me finding that food is very decorative when stored this way, it is also completely on show when not behind cupboard doors, and as such inspires me to use it more.  With less shelf space now a lot of my jars are actually in the cupboard but my most used are still out on a shelf.  I have three types of pasta - spaghetti, fusilli and tagliatelle, porridge oats, brown rice and now that I have bought it, my Gram flour.

So with the addition of just water, oil and salt and pepper, if push came to shove I could actually live happily for a day on the contents of just my shelf alone with no problem.  Yes, I LOVE a bowl of hot salt and pepper rice. ๐Ÿฅฃ


The other day tagliatelle was on the menu was because the jar had been calling to me for a while.  It was a simple evening meal, just cooked tagliatelle dropped into a pan of sautรฉed veggies and a large dollop of hummus, watered down to a good consistency with some of the pasta water.

Simple, filling and healthy ... and very, very tasty.


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! I would not have though of adding hummus to pasta, thanks for the idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely delicious, and of course the higher protein hit it gives makes it a very satiating meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  2. Known as Tiggly-Toggly in our house...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall have to try that recipe and have never thought of adding hummus to pasta. Thank you Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it on pasta and as a pizza topping instead of a tomato based sauce, it makes a nice change. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  4. I like your display of jars! The pasta dish sounds delicious! I must suggest using hummus to my daughter as she doesn't like tomato based sauces that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she'll love this, as long as she is a hummus fan. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  5. Your pasta dish looks lovely and I’m a hummus fan. I noticed you said you had thawed hummus-are there any tips for freezing it or can it be popped in the freezer as is? Thanks Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put it into the freezer as it is in the tub, either shop bought or home-made hummus. I thaw it slowly in the fridge and then give it a stir before using it. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  6. I have my bag of gram flour, £2.50 for 2kg from Sainsbury’s, so I shall be looking for recipes. A friend likes to add different flours to his bread recipes.
    It is a new fashion for the food and tobacco industry to add cheap protein to UPF, with labels on the front saying High Protein, sweeteners to disguise the taste, and a hefty price tag. I prefer to add a few Aldi sunflower and pumpkin seeds to my porridge.
    The tea shelves were looking a bit bare at Sainsbury’s, some panic buying going on. There was plenty of their loose leaf tea so I added an extra packet of both of red and gold label tea to my store cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw about the looming tea shortage on TV the other night. I should warn Alan to get a new pack for himself before everyone starts panic buying. Luckily I don't drink tea, it makes me ill. ๐Ÿคจ

      Delete
  7. Your tagliatelle meal looks delicious. I love simple food and could live quite happily on rice , spuds and pasta with only a very few additions, OH doesn't get that style of eating........๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‰
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love simple eating too, I love most things to be simple really. ❤️

      Delete
  8. When I spent a small fortune on the kitchen that I don't actually like, I had planned to have a shelf/shelves like yours along the blank wall and display my jars. But the wall is so bowed I couldn't get a shelf to sit flat enough against it so my jars are hidden away in a top cupboard. And I forget what's in there!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when you move you can take everything that you have learned from the kitchen you don't like, and finally have a space that is exactly what you want and need.

      Delete
  9. That pasta looks fantastic!

    What a restful blog. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tasty. I really like tagliatelle too, it makes a nice change from penne or fusilli.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.