Thursday 8 February 2024

My First Shopping of February

 

My first shopping of February.  

A grand total of £25.04.

The prices shown are the prices that come from me having my Nectar card and me buying things that were on special offer.

I decided not to buy too much fresh stuff this week as I really want to use some of the frozen vegetables in the freezer and the last of the odds and sods of salad in the fridge drawer.  I treated myself to some healthier crisps and I needed a bag of the Harvest Snaps that I take to Mum's for us to go with our sandwiches.  I always make us a picnic lunch when we visit as Mum really appreciates not having to think about what to make for at least one meal a week.


These biscuits are a bit of a treat for me. 

 I got myself this tin just before Christmas filled with individually wrapped Oat Flips and they were delicious.  I do have to admit that it was the tin that drew me to them, I just love the colours of it.  But then the biscuits were so tasty and with such relatively good ingredients that I have been looking for them ever since the tins vanished from the shelves in Booths.  Then the other day I spotted the lady putting them out on the shelves and they were on special offer!

Not too bad compared to ingredients on other biscuits. 😐

So another eclectic week's shopping for me this week as I continue to eat my way through all the foods that I already have.  This morning's breakfast was three of my Linda McCartney sausages on one of the oven-bottom muffins with tomato ketchup ... a proper Manchester lass' breakfast.  😃


Sue xx



15 comments:

  1. I like the idea of taking a picnic to your Mum’s. Most people enjoy food that someone else has made for them and eating together is such a sociable activity. We eat porridge every day and it it so much better value than boxed cereal. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We jokingly call it 'meals on wheels' but from a great a distance, and it's virtually always sandwiches crisps and cakes. Porridge most mornings just makes sense especially at this time of year, it's nice to have a warm bowl to hold and something hot in your tummy isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  2. It all looks lovely.
    I can't remember the last time I bought boxed cereals - porridge for me, every time. Better value and so much healthier too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really used to love the supermarkets own versions of Weetabix, but it started making me feel very podged when I ate them and then hungry again two hours later. My recent addition to the porridge has been a few crumbled walnuts and some grated brazil nuts, it makes it very tasty and with a bit of a crunch.

      Delete
  3. Great deals on those items. So sweet to take a picnic lunch to your Mom.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it for years now, ever since she stopped being able to go out with me for lunch. It's the least I can do if you think about all those meals she made for me as a small child. :-)

      Delete
  4. I like the look of those biscuits and wondering if I can make some at home.......must get my baking books out.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been able to make really crumbly oat biscuits at home, mine always turn out quite chewy and sticky ... in no way a bad thing!! I might have to experiment, if you find a nice crumbly recipe let me know. :-)

      Delete
    2. 👍😘x
      Alison

      Delete
  5. Lovely to make a picnic! Can I ask what your menu is for this week, using the items you have shown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The items that I bought in this shop are mostly top ups for lunch times. The fishfingers will go on two of the buns for two lunches over the week with two left over for an evening meal that I have planned for next week. The cucumber and some pepper slices will go on the plate with the fishfinger buns as a nod to something healthy ... I do try. :-)

      The oats are mostly to make porridge with and the biscuits are my little treat, one eaten with a coffee either mid morning, mid afternoon OR at supper time. I only eat them one at a time so thank goodness I have a tin to store them in.

      I hope that helps. My main menu planning at the moment is still worked out from the freezer or cupboard with the shopping I'm buying being things to supplement what I already have in.

      Delete
  6. You did well, keeping your spending to what you've budgeted for the week! I think your "oven bottom muffins" are what we call English muffins, here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very similar but without the semolina dusting on the outside. These are the non-coated true Lancashire Oven Bottoms. Sort of half muffin half barm-cake (bread roll). Gosh there are so many names for bread rolls in the UK!! 😄

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of you taking a packed lunch when you pop over to your mum's!
    Those biscuits look really good, I love it when they look homemade. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time Suky sees me getting out the cool bag she thinks we are off to 'Grannies' house for lunch. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.