Friday 16 February 2024

Two Shopping Trips in Three Days

 


The cupboards and freezer are still pretty full so there has still been no need for a 'big shop'.  I am mainly buying things as and when I need them and this week I fancied some bread rolls for my lunches.  With Shrove Tuesday on the news everywhere I suddenly felt the urge for pancakes and went into the cupboard to get my Gram flour out (this makes my favourite sort of pancakes) ... I didn't have any!!

Aldi don't sell it, our Sainsbury's, which is a pretty small branch, didn't have any on the shelves so it was a trip to Booths, where at last I found it, along with some of my favourite bread rolls. Total spend in Booths - £3.85.

Of course by the time I had gotten it home I had completely gone off the idea of pancakes anyway.  😄

Two days later it was time to make our lunch to take to Mum's and Alan had requested some salad to go with our sandwiches, specifically some radishes, so I went and got some and with the garlic being 'price-matched' to Aldi and on only 95p I decided to get myself some as I've finally finished all the cloves of garlic from the freezer.  Total spend in Sainsbury's £1.54.

Total spend altogether this week - £5.39.


Isn't it satisfying when the new pack of something fits completely into a jar.  I filled the oats jar up the other day after using up the last of the old oats and with a shake or two of the jar to settle things down, the full bag fitted in nicely.  😁


Sadly it didn't work out that well for the Gram flour!!


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Poor old gram flour.
    Do you just sub gram flour for ordinary flour in your pancakes? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there's also no need to use eggs if you use gram flour. It's high in protein, so a pinch of Kala Namak for a slight eggy taste and that's all you need. 😀

      Delete
  2. I miss living near the ethnic shops in Leicester, where gram flour was easily available [and cheaper]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to be able to walk down the 'whole foods' aisle at all the big supermarkets and get it. More easily, and as you say cheaper.

      Delete
  3. Used to get gram flour at a market stall, not now. I thought I needed a larger storage jar and looked for a Kilner jar on their website.£16! Have to make do with what I have. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kilner jars can be so expensive. I've built my collection up over many years. Before then all my dried foods were stored in the largest Nescafe jars.

      Delete
  4. I use large plastic sweetie jars which used to cost 10p from the market. I bought a glass one for £1 at the Church Fair which holds my kilo bags of Asda jumbo oats, and the scoop for one bowl portions.
    The flat sided 200g coffee jars are attractive for shelves of pulses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, used to have rows of the largest sized Nescafe jars, back when the lids were brown. As I got other jars they all got recycled one by one. 🫙 🫙 🫙

      Delete
  5. I'm fascinated by the Gram flour, I once bought a bag ( can't remember what for!) and it ended up forgotten at the back of a cupboard.......what a waste.........sounds like I missed out there?!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for lots of things. I mostly use it to make simple pancakes or wraps, to coat homemade burgers or patties of any description, and as it is just ground up chickpeas I add a spoonful of the flour if I've made my hummus too runny. 😃

      Delete
  6. I've only just discovered your new blog and it's so lovely to see you posting again.
    You've just reminded me that I need to buy some more oats! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have you here. ❤️ There's a lot of catching up to do, if you have the time. 😃

      Delete
  7. I also bought radishes last week after reading that it was good to introduce different salad ingredients fo r colour and taste. They came in a bag of trimmed and clean radishes, white ones, brown ones and the more familiar pink and white ones. None had that really hot taste I remembered from previous purchases - and I've been snacking on them ever since. Ordered more in this week's delivery! I hope Alan enjoys his radishes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last lot I had were wonderfully peppery, these were pretty tasteless and woody. Very disappointing. Oh well, I'll be able to grow some of my own in the next few weeks. 🙂

      Delete
  8. Sadly the 2 garlic bulbs were dried, wizened and looked as though they had been forgotten in the container for many months, Yuk! They were returned with the driver and Sainsbury's refunded the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was naughty of the picker to send dried up garlic. ☹️

      Delete
  9. Actually we are having pancakes tonight. Meatless Friday and I haven't made pancakes in awhile.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed them. Meatless Friday sounds good 💚

      Delete
  10. You did really well with your shopping, this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to buy just what I need, and have so little to put away when I get back. I enjoyed shopping for the Foodbank instead. 🙂

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.