Saturday 9 March 2024

Emptying the Fridge While the Dogs Snooze On

 

The dogs are good at making the most of the sunshine through my French doors.

Tuesday morning Suky tried to get into the littlest bed with Mavis as that was the one perfectly positioned in the sunshine, she does that regularly but Mavis is not keen on the double decker method of doggy sleeping, so I moved the other small bed into position and they both snoozed the morning away in their own beds illuminated by the warming sunshine.

While they snoozed I was busy in the kitchen peeling, chopping and saving things.

I needed a clove of garlic to go with my tea so I took the time to separate all the other garlic cloves too,  they were put in a tub to go into the freezer.  Garlic freezes really well like this and is useable straight from the freezer.


Everything ready for my tea later on in the day.  

I find if I do this while I'm in the mood life is a lot easier.  The tub of garlic cloves went into the freezer, the rest of the onion into the fridge and all the peelings into the compost bin.


A bit later I got the tomatoes out of the fridge to come up to room temperature.


And this was the finished result.  I had forgotten to add any green veg, so a little sprinkle of parsley saved the day.  A quick and simple, but very tasty meal.


  Wednesday saw me using more of the bits and pieces from the fridge.  

I decided I would use the last little bit of this jar of beetroot to go with my lunch, so I drained it from the vinegar and decanted the vinegar into a clean jar to be used in the making of a salad dressing on another day.


This lunch was to be the last of the beetroot, the last of this jar of mayonnaise and the last of the block of cheese that I had ready grated in the fridge.  I do loving making a meal out of bits and pieces, and of course clearing space in the fridge is brilliant too.


My finished lunch.  

A tasty couple of meals and now that  the fridge is looking pretty sparse it's time to get a little bit of shopping to top things up for the weekend, which happily will be the first shop of March.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Freezing the garlic cloves is a brilliant idea - why did I not think of that. I'm always throwing out wizened cloves. Thank you so much. Now I'm off to do mine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it ever since I grew a full bed of garlic back in Wales and really needed to make it last all year. Thankfully it worked. 😀

      Delete
  2. There is a pleasure in shopping wisely, avoiding waste, and providing good, nourishing meals from basic ingredients.
    I shall rinse the last of the maple syrup from the bottle to add when I make my porridge this morning.
    Our cookery teacher, Miss Lax, taught us to get the last bit of egg white from the shell with a clean little finger, and I still do that. She used milk which was on the turn when we made our first scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very satisfying isn't it. I nearly always have upturned bottles in my cupboard or fridge so that I can get every little bit of product out. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Great tip about the garlic, thank you.
    When I was younger I think I was quite wasteful at times - one positive about older age is that most of us live and learn and frugality now makes such good sense to me.
    Your pasta dish looks very appealing 😍
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we knew when we were younger what we know now, we would have saved so much more money over the course of our lives. The noodles were lovely. 😃

      Delete
  4. Hello! I never knew that about garlic! Thank you! And that pasta lunch? Looks like one of my favorites. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are also really easy to peel once they are frozen. 🙂

      Delete
  5. I did an inventory of the pantry this week and found so many items that need to be used. I just don't know how I let things get this bad.... I hope to be clearing things out over the next few weeks.

    Have a great weekend.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a check through every now and then isn't it. No matter how careful we think we are being things always seem to get forgotten about. 🙂

      Delete
  6. The dogs look so comfortable sleeping in the sunshine!
    You did well with using up what you had in the fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are real sun worshippers. It's lovely watching them soak up the warmth on days like those. ❤️

      Delete
  7. Great tip about the garlic:) Do I spy a baked potato underneath the cheese with the beetroot? Meals look very tasty indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was ... it wasn't just a mountain of cheese and mayo. 😁

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that garlic could be frozen like that, Sue, so thank you for the tip :) And why didn't I think of keeping the vinegar from the beetroot? Doh....I re-use vinegar from picked onions by dropping sliced cucumber into the jar to absorb some of it, and it's delicious, so I don't know why I didn't think of it. What will you add to yours to make salad dressing please?
    The dogs look so very comfortable in the sunshine! Enjoy your Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to eat my pickled onions up so that I can drop some cucumber in. I do love bread and butter pickles. 🙂

      To make a basic salad dressing I just use a two parts vinegar to one part olive oil ratio, and add a dash of mustard and seasonings. But you can vary it with honey or spices to suit what you are using it on. 🙂

      Delete
    2. Brilliant! Thank you for that, Sue, I'll give it a go this week as my beetroot in the jar has almost gone :)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.