Tuesday 19 March 2024

Minimal Shop ... and Yucky Sauce

 


I've just been going through all of the food shopping entries in my diary and I am surprised ... I am doing pretty well.  Especially on the money that I have spent up to now, or should that be the money that I have saved up to now.

There is space appearing in the cupboards at last, although there's not a lot of space in the freezer yet as I keep adding half of the meals made with food from the freezer back into the freezer.  I have still shopped more than I meant to shop, temptation when you are out and about is the worst thing.  And seemingly now that I am an adulting adult, most of my outings of choice seem to be to food shops. 😄

So I want to make a real effort to use up what I have and buy even less, if that is possible.  I just need to get my brain in gear and make meals that I have obviously been putting off making, so that I can use things up that I obviously bought in the past on a whim.


Although some things I should never have bought in the past.  

This Sacla Ch**se Sauce had been in my cupboard for a long time, so last week I decided it was time to use it.  I really don't know why I bought it, perhaps it seemed an easy shortcut for a quick meal, but it was very disappointing.  Minimal cheesy flavour and a strange wallpaper paste-like texture.  Never again, the reviews on the Sainsbury's page for the product seem to mostly agree with me too.


I actually wasted the last of my tagliatelle on this, and sadly half of it ended up in the bin.  It takes a lot for me to throw food away, but I couldn't think of anything to do to make the 'leftovers' edible.  😒

This weeks little top up shop, bought while I was out getting dog food was just for the three things in the top photo.  So just £2.02 spent.  I must make sure to plant a couple of cucumber plants once I get sowing seeds in a few weeks as I am developing quite a taste for cucumber as a little snack.


Sorry for not replying to comments on the last post, but my Mum was taken into hospital at the end of last week, and as you can imagine everything is a bit here, there and everywhere at the moment.  Now we have visiting and phoning times between the family organised a bit, things should start to get a little more 'normal' ... whatever that is.


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Mum and hope she is on the mend. I stopped using these kind of sauces at the start of Covid when I didn’t get tempted as I wasn’t shopping. I agree there is a wallpaper paste texture to them and then I get heartburn. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your Mum. Blogging is not a priority, family is more important ❤️🙂🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your mum. It really takes up all your time and energy trying to juggle visits and co ordinate the family stuff. Make sure you look after yourself (own oxygen mask on first and all that) and only blog if you feel like it :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Mum. Fingers crossed it's just a short stay in hospital as it's no fun in there nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping Mum is on the mend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum Sue. I do so hope it will be a short hospital stay. Sending lots of get well wishes to your Mum♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope she recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope things are improving for your Mum and that you are able to take care of yourself during such a stressful time, x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear our mum is unwell, let’s hope she gets better soon (Sandy mid wales)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarred sauces generally tend to be a bit not nice unless they are very expensive. I feel your pain at having to throw it out though.

    So sorry your mum is poorly at the moment. Very hard for everyone and such a worry too. Sending you love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to read about your mum, Sue. I hope she's getting better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so disappointing when food doesn't turn out the way we hoped and it goes to waste. But, you have to try new things sometimes.

    I hope your mom is recovering. I know that's stressful. Take care, Sue! Have a great day :) (by the way, my middle name is Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your mom is doing better. I rarely do bottled sauces but Trader Joes has an excellent Thai red sauce I use with garbanzos and tofu.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.