Wednesday 13 March 2024

She Gathered Beautiful Things


Art - John French Sloan - A Woman's Work 1912


She gathered beautiful things along the way to pass on, but not clothes or jewels.
She gathered starlight when she couldn’t sleep… and sprinkled it on her stories so that the children of her children would listen in wonder and remember with delight.
She gathered lessons, learned at rock bottom, and shared them with strangers and friends alike, to save them the need to sink so far themselves.
She gathered precious, life-giving laughter, and regaled the world with the humorous reminiscing of her follies, her foibles and her mishaps.
She gathered things that may not have caught anyone’s eye in auction, but when examined closely, became true treasure maps, to this life’s gold mines.

SHE GATHERED From ‘I Wish I Knew’ by Donna Ashworth


Sue xx


16 comments:

  1. Such beautiful thoughts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an utterly beautiful poem. I love the whole thing, but especially the bit about storytelling to her children's children. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that was a perfect way to begin the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I used to hang my washing out that way when I lived in Barrow in Furness. It's surprising how quickly it dries when it's that high up. 🙂

      Delete
  5. How very lovely, TQ x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Utterly beautiful x thank you for posting that poem! X Danette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a captivating picture, just like the lines of washing you still see strung up across the narrow streets in villages in the Med! I love collecting beautiful things - not jewels but definitely clothes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful-thank you for sharing. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of Donna and have 2 of her wonderful books. Donna's books also make wonderful gifts♥ I also love the painting♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing that poem with all of us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this poem. I am saving it for my someday funeral program. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.