Thursday 21 March 2024

Emptying the Fridge ... and Making Banana Cake

I'm really trying not to go shopping until I have emptied the fridge of (at the very least) all the opened and half used things in there.  

So, the other day I decided I would make immediate inroads.  The dogs got that leftover corned beef on the bottom shelf, that I had forgotten all about until this morning (it had been on the top shelf out of my sight as I can't stand to see meat in my fridge) and they were very happy.


I opened the egg box and there were only two eggs left.


So I got them out of the fridge first thing and let them come up to room temperature, and then I had one of them fried on toast for my breakfast.


The other was to join this very sad banana in a small banana cake.

So after weighing the egg and then adding flour, spread and sugar in the exact same weights I added the mashed up banana, a dash of vanilla extract and some baking powder ... I wasn't sure if this was self raising flour or plain ... and mixed it all together before pouring it into a lined 1lb loaf tin.


Thirty minutes later I had the cutest little banana cake.


And while the oven was on I started off a baked potato for my lunch, finishing it in the air fryer when the oven was turned off.

Not much inroads into the fridge yet but as you can see I have some lovely little desserts for the next few nights, alongside my lovely tasty banana cake.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have a disgraceful banana and guess what I'm going to make. Sliced and then frozen of course . . . A nice treat for the future.
    I'm going to try cooking it in Nellie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cannot possibly be any more disgraceful than my sorry little specimen. Gosh that cake was nice and vanished much too quickly. :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, let's put it this way - maybe they were collaborating!!
      Mine's now sliced and in the freezer although the little bit I tested was so good. Must make banana bread more often. xx

      Delete
    3. I should have saved some of mine in the freezer, but I ate it all ... and the last few slices with butter on. Naughty but absolutely delicious. :-)

      Delete
  2. How I would love an eye-level fridge. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes life so much easier, it's the way I will always have it now. xx

      Delete
  3. We really can forget how much food we have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do, and I also forget how much I can make from what appears to be minimal ingredients.

      Delete
  4. Love banana cake although I made too many during lockdown to the detriment of my weight! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely I don't think I made any during lockdown, or any bread. Maybe I got fed up of seeing everyone else's, it was all over social media wasn't it. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Firstly, I am so sorry to hear that your mum is poorly, Sue, I hope she is recovering well.

    I always have fridge envy when I see yours! Yours is so clean, neat and tidy and no meat in sight. I do try to keep mine organised but G messes it up very quickly by never putting things back in their rightful places :0/
    The banana cake looks so scrumptious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's much better today, thanks. Hopefully she will be out of hospital early next week if we can get a care package in place and a bed for her at home.

      I like a nice clean fridge, and of course it helps that it is just me using it. I find myself wiping out Alan's fridge every time he heads off for work for a few days. Corned beef is the only meat that is allowed, and usually just for the evening before we go to Mum's as she loves a corned beef sandwich for her lunch when we visit. This time I bought a larger than usual pack and there were a few slices left over, so the dogs benefitted.

      Delete
  6. Just caught up with this Sue as by coincidence my mum in law is in hospital unexpectedly this week. Hope your Mum recovers quickly.
    That cake looks delicious x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things happen so quickly and turn your world around don't they. I hope your Mum in law is soon out and home again. xx

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to read that your lovely mum is on the mend, Sue.
    Your fridge is so neat and tidy and that tiny banana cake looks lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. That banana cake was much too nice, it vanished in 24 hours. 😄

      Delete
  8. I hope your mum makes a speedy recovery. Banana bread is so nice with just the right amount of sweetness when you use a really over ripe banana. I also slice and freeze banana if I'm not ready to bake anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do that either for smoothies or 'nice-cream' but I've not fancied either recently.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.