Sunday 26 May 2024

The Large Bookcase

 


Back in March I counted the books on my small glazed bookcase and posted about it HERE,  I meant to carry straight on and count all my books, but time and other things wait for no woman, and I just never got round to doing it.  

So when the sun briefly showed her face the other day and highlighted all the dust on the edges of the shelves of the large bookcase ... it is stood next to the windows and French doors of the living room so the dust positively glowed ... it seemed like a good opportunity to have a good dust and wipe down of the shelves, and a count of the books.

The photos were taken after dusting ... the dust bunnies were shy!!


And now a close up of the shelves and the count.

Top Shelf - 49


Second Shelf - 44


Three more wartime books that were elsewhere and I decided to re-unite with their chums.

Second Shelf - 47




Third Shelf - 32


Fourth Shelf - 25

Total Books on Large Bookcase = 153



And then I put all the bits and bobs back onto the shelves and went and made myself a cup of coffee, well I deserved a sit down, a drink and a read of my current book after all that counting. 😁

My current read is the book that is missing from the first and last photo, and appears as if by magic on the photo of the second shelf.  The book that I am currently reading nearly always lives on the stool that I use as a side table next to my chair, so it was only fetched back to join it's friends on the shelf while it was being photographed.  📚

I'll leave it until another day to open the cupboard at the bottom and count the books in there.  😅


Sue xx



22 comments:

  1. I've not counted our books since we retired. To save space, Bob changed many of his Bible commentaries for digital versions and we gave a couple of hundred hard copies to students at a local theological college. That freed up a lot of space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were really grateful for the the books, and you for the space they left behind.

      Delete
  2. All looks very tidy, I loved the book Dear Mrs Bird. My dresser needs a good dust too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere looks really nice after a good dusting and wipe over doesn't it. Dear Mrs Bird was a brilliant book, I think I'll read the follow up one next.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed seeing your bookcase. It's just what a bookcase should look like - full of wonderful books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I do love to look at bookcases of all shapes and sizes, it gives you a little insight into the person that owns them.

      Delete
  4. That's an eclectic mix of books! I'm glad to see all your books have the spine titles the same way round - it annoys me in a library or bookshop when the titles are some one way, some the other, so I have to keep bending my neck alternate ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, the titles HAVE to face the same way, I feel like a sideways nodding donkey when people have their books all higgledy-piggledy. I'm an eclectic person. :-)

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed the two books by AJ Pearce. I love a tidy bookcase-you May just have shamed me into doing some tidying of mine! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes get stuck in. It's such a satisfying feeling when you sit down and look as the clean and tidy bookcase. I'm going to read the second AJ Pearce book next I think, I meant to read it straight after the first and I got waylaid.

      Delete
  6. I too am a book lover and looked across at the bookcase and thought maybe I should do the same and dust mine. You would not like to see the mess of my bedside one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NO books on my bedside table for the first time in ages ... it looks very bare!!

      Delete
  7. Our book shelves have recently had a spring clean and sort out........a few have gone to a charity shop but there's a lot I can't part with.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that I will probably part with some of my fiction once I have read them ... it will make space for more. :-)

      Delete
  8. I am a bit scared to count my books (physical ones), I do know how many I have on my ereader though and that is way too many according to some people.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a stash of books on my phone for emergency use, but I have no idea how many. At last count it was well over a hundred. I doubt I will ever be caught without some form of reading material. :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh books, glorious books♥ Wonderful collection Sue) I kept saying to myself oh I have that book, oh there's another one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the process of counting all the other books on ledges, shelves and being used as plant holders. They are everywhere. I love spotting books that I have on other people shelves. :-)

      Delete
  10. Lovely, glorious books!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a shelf filled with books! Your book collection looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, it all looks pretty neat since my last big sort out and donation of some older ones that I no longer wanted. Books are better than ornaments for decorating rooms aren't they. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.