Tuesday 7 May 2024

Minimal Shopping Continues ...

 


Another week, another low, low spend.

Just buying what I need or really want, to compliment what I already have in has really highlighted just how much I actually had in at the start of the year.  Food is gradually going down in the cupboards and the little basket drawers now, and even the little 'treat' drawer is looking sparser by the day, but there is still a lot of food available.

This week the only real need was the flour, I have only a couple of ounces of flour left in the big jar and I have been fancying making some pastry.  I only have to read about someone making a pie and I want one!!   The Spring onions and tomatoes were bought for their freshness, and the peas I bought as they were on a slight offer.  I still have about a quarter of a bag in the freezer but buying them while they were even 15p off means that I am saving a little bit of money.

And it all adds up doesn't it.  😀


My receipt.  As you can just about see at the bottom of it, I had to pay by card as I accidently used the 'Card Only' self service till.  This highlighted to me just how much I am enjoying paying by cash while I am watching my pennies, it was just annoying having to pay by card.

The flour is now having it's 24 hours in the freezer before being tipped into my largest jar.

And the Spring onions were trimmed and checked over and are in their pint pot, which now resides in the fridge.

It doesn't take me long to put the shopping away these days.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Can you tell me about the flour being put in the freezer for 24 hours? What does that do? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kills off any weevil eggs. As a bag of flour can potentially last me a long time and the warmer weather is on its way, it's just a way to guarantee that nothing will hatch.

      It only happened to me once, but once was more than enough!! If you decide to do it, don't forget to put the flour in a sealed polythene bag so it doesn't get damp.

      Please can you add a name to the end of a comment if you need to use the Anonymous function. Thanks. 🙂

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing flour will be going up in price sooner or later, as the crops were washed away or started late with all the rain we've had. And I assume you put the flour in the freezer to kill off any weevils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it will, I hadn't thought of that. ☹️

      Yes, I do ... I should have read your comment before I answered the one above, I could have said 'see below'. 😄

      Delete
  3. We got caught by weevils during Covid when I could only bet a big bag of flour,
    They had also infiltrated the baking soda next to them. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you've had the nasty little wriggly things you are extra careful in future aren't you. YUK!!

      Delete
  4. My biweekly shopping list includes flour as well. I am down to a couple of cups and bread making will use most of that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get back to making my own bread. Knowing exactly what's in it is a great bonus isn't it. It's time to fetch 'Ken', my Kenwood mixer with the dough hook out from Alan's cupboard I think.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea - I've just had to throw half a bag of flour away. I will definitely do that in they future - in fact, I will check what I have in the cupboard and give it all The Treatment. Thank you!

    I seem to work my way through an awful; lot of fruit and veg!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think weevils are prevalent again because so much of the food we buy from the supermarkets is stored for so long before it even gets there and thus goes through so many temperature changes. 'Just sieve them out' says Alan ... I think not says me!!

      I think I will need to start buying more fruit and veg soon, the frozen bags are nearly all gone.

      Delete
  6. We did well with yellow stickered fruit and vegetables at Asda yesterday afternoon. I made some drop scones with a mashed banana added for a treat for tea. They have Allinson’s bread flour on offer still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. 😀

      I have not found a yellow stickered anything, for ages. ☹️ And I do miss having a local Asda and Tesco.

      Delete
  7. Excellent tip about the flour thank you x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same someone only has to mention making a pie and I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I'm glad that I'm not the only pastry addict. 😄

      Delete
  9. Another pastry addict here, and I made some small savory hand pies (or patties as we call them) with a curried ground turkey and vegetables mixture over the weekend. Well done on your minimal grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound delicious, I guess we would call small savoury hand pies 'pasties' ... and I do love a nice pasty. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.