Friday 31 May 2024

The Books That I Read in May



 I didn't read anywhere nearly as much as I would have liked to  do in May.  Life and busy-ness just got in the way, and in the evening collapsing in front of the television binge-watching Silent Witness seemed to take over.  I must do better ... for my sanities sake, I dreamt I was looking for forensic clues in a huge pile of sofa cushions the other night!!

To the books, the first book I read this month was The Farmer's Wife and I absolutely loved it.  The blurb on Amazon talks about it so much better than I could. 

With honesty and grace, Helen shares her life in days--sometimes a wonder and a joy, others a grind to be survived--weaving in stories that read like a well-written pastoral novel. The Farmer's Wife is a book about the love of life, the nourishing simplicity of everyday work, and sharing stories around a family table full of good food.

Full of gentle wisdom, this book is an honest portrait of rural life and an authentic exploration of both the hard work and reward of keeping a home and raising a family--even though the job is often thankless and invisible.

Also included are simple recipes and dozens of guilt-free "Survival Mode" meal ideas.


The recipes, hints and tips are really good and I enjoyed the mix of autobiography and recipe book in one.  The time-line jumping was easy to cope with as it was so well written.

I highly recommend it, and it is now available in paperback.




Next I read the book I bought off the charity shelf in Booths, with the one pound coin that Alan found. 

 I didn't know if I liked this at first, it's one of those books when occasionally a whole paragraph is used when a simple sentence would have sufficed, but chapter by chapter I got into it more and more and by the end I found myself really enjoying this read.  The only slightly strange thing was that it seemed to have a very sudden ending.

Recipes from an Old Farmhouse by Alison Uttley

This is an absolutely delightful book, originally written in 1966, my edition is a 1978 reprint ... coincidentally the year I first got married ... and is really showing it's age.  I had to be careful reading it to keep the pages from disengaging from the spine.

But it was worth being careful for.


The illustrations before each new section were beautiful.


The attention to detail amazing.

And believe it or not that is the total number of the books that I read in May. However, I'm not being harsh on myself as this wasn't all I read over the course of the month, as there was lots of proof reading for my day job too, but compared to the books that I choose to read that sort of reading is complicated and deathly boring!!

I must do better in June, so I think I will start off with a couple of old favourites to get me back on the straight and narrow.  For once I am going into the next month with no book on the go, what are you reading at the moment?


Sue xx



I would just like to point out, that although I provide links to Amazon for all the books that I read each month, not all my books are bought from Amazon.  If they are some of them were bought from the Used section rather than full price.  

I share the links so that you can learn more about the books that I write about for yourself, or read reviews from others that have read them.  Of course most of the books I talk about would also be available from your local library, and if you are very lucky you might even find them in charity or thrift shops.  

There are so many ways to bring books into your home if you love reading. πŸ“š



24 comments:

  1. Is that the same Alison Uttley who wrote the charming Little Grey Rabbit books for children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yes, this book has lovely references to her childhood and how the recipes were used. ❤️

      Delete
  2. I think the illustrations in the Alison Uttley book are crying out to be coloured! It's one of those books that has come and gone several times in my life.

    My total for May was 11 and the van has just brought me 17 that I'd reserved - 17! I may not go far in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would look amazing with little hints of colour wouldn't they. Sadly I gave my nice colouring pencils to the little girl who house-sat (with her parents) last time we went on holiday without the animals.

      Oh gosh, you did so much better than me with your May reading total.

      Delete
  3. At the moment I’m reading The Wrong Door by Bunty Avieson (Australian author) a great little story about the mysterious woman who went through the wrong door at ended up at the wrong funeral. Good read so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... that sounds intriguing. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  4. I have just started Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, it is a hefty tome but a real page turner, what a genius in every way, can honestly say it has me hooked. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be interesting. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. Not in the book zone just now but am still decluttering the craft book shelves. No books going out but lots of articles from magazines etc that I have kept and never used. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the way isn't it, we save what interests us in the moment, and then it gets put to one side. I've done that so many times. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  6. Pikelets! She's the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't hear that very often do you. A good old English skinny crumpet. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  7. Alison Uttley! I loved those Little Grey Rabbit books as a child.
    Currently on the last chapter of an Inspector Montalbano book, The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri, always an entertaining read but do prefer the TV series with its glorious Sicilian setting and the very easy on the eye, Luca Zingaretti ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to have a watch of that, I've never seen it. πŸ˜”

      Delete
  8. Just finished Kristin Hannah's newest book, The Women. For those of us who were a certain age through the Vietnam war years--and for those of us who lost loved ones in that war--it is in some ways a tough book to read. As the title implies, it is about women--three in particular--and their friendships while serving as military nurses in Vietnam, but whose treatment by the public and military alike upon returning to the US was pretty awful, especially considering the dreadful living conditions and, more importantly, the gruesome injuries they treated day after day under horrific circumstances--many of them for more than one tour of duty. The lack of support for the trauma they endured was nothing short of criminal as they weren't treated as veterans until decades later. But the service women of that time deserve recognition for their bravery and resilience even if it is just through a book of fiction that illuminates a dark period in our history.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can learn a lot from a good 'fiction' book can't we. They are my favourite sort. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  9. I just got The Farmer's Wife from the library so that is next on my list! All the reviews I've heard have been positive so I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've heard if anyone not enjoying it. She writes really well. I've just bought one of her husbands books ... I wonder if he writes as well as her. πŸ€”πŸ˜€

      Delete
  10. I did get the Farmers Wife book for my Birthday and looking forward to reading that. The Alison Uttley book looks delightful, I'm fond of her writing.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got it. Hope you had a great birthday. ❤️

      Delete
    2. 😘
      Alison x

      Delete
  11. At the moment, I am reading 'Absolute Power' by David Baldacci. A far cry from what you are reading. But, I noticed you do watch some mystery stuff. I seem to be caught in the mystery net right now reading those types of books almost exclusitively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I watch crime and mystery series and films, but I rarely read those type of books. Although my younger son is an absolute addict to them. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  12. Interestingly I just finished The Farmer's Wife yesterday. Currently reading The End of Summer by Rosamund Pilcher.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.