Monday 20 May 2024

Days Five and Six


 This is the food that I 'bought' from my cupboard and fridge at the start of this challenge, and looking at what I have left now there's a lot less, but then I am well into the week so it's to be expected.  It's funny I don't see less available food and panic, instead I'm looking at it as a well thought out challenge that is completely on track.  And that is very satisfying. πŸ˜€

I should even come out of the week  with leftovers, which I am now wondering if I should turn into the start of a second week.  Which could be interesting if I made a good effort not to repeat too many of the same meals, although I might have to buy a couple of things to enable it to work. 

Anyway here are the meals from day five and day six.


Day Five Breakfast

Just a simple slice of toast with peanut butter, I even shared a little bit of the edges with the dogs, they do love peanut butter.


Now this is something that I rarely do, have bread twice in a day, but I was really fancying some more toast ... so I topped it with beans. 

I mustn't have shared the beans out very equally because this is what I thought was a third of a can and it definitely looks more than that.  I obviously short-changed the two baked potato meals!!

My evening meal on day five was a pasta bake.

For the pasta bake I used one tin of tomatoes, one onion and a sprinkle each of garlic granules, onion powder and mixed herbs, and made a very simple sauce which I left to simmer away for a long time.  The flavour was amazing on the final sauce, I had added two thirds of a can of water as well when I rinsed out the can to get every last little bit of the tomatoes out, but there was no wateriness to the finished sauce.

I then poured it over four big handfuls of the dried pasta in my ovenproof pan, stirred it all through and with the lid on, left it to cook for around 45 minutes in the oven.  It gave me the two portions of pasta bake that you can see above.  The one with the cheese was my meal and the one without was my leftovers ready for the final day.


What is it about pasta that two hours after eating it even with a really good sauce you find yourself peckish again.  So I had a small bowl of salad for supper.  



Breakfast on day six was another bowl of porridge and peanut butter, my third and final one of the week.


Lunch was another fish finger butty, using the last of my fish fingers.  If I do decide to do another week, I must be strong and not buy another box of fish fingers, it makes for a lazy lunch that I could eat every day ... but shouldn't really!


I did follow it with a large bowl of salad ... a nod to health and freshness.  😁


For my tea on day six I had the large Shepherdess Pie.  Gosh that was so filling!!  My appetite has definitely shrunk these days, I'm glad I didn't serve it with anything else, as it was I had to sit still for an hour to let it slowly digest.  But gosh it was tasty.  πŸ˜ƒ

The final dish of pie filling will be carried over to next week, as I want to eat the other half of my pasta bake tomorrow.  I will be back tomorrow with my final days food and a photo of what I have left at the end of the week.  There's not much, but there is enough to give me a starter for a second week if I do decide to do it.


Sue xx


19 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using dried pasta into the sauce-wonder if it would work in the Remoska? Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer the pasta cooked in the sauce it is so much more flavourful, you do have to remember to add more liquid at the beginning than you would usually as the pasta really sucks it in. I have never tried doing it in the Remoska, it should work but I think you would need to stir it every few minutes to keep the sauce over the pasta so it didn't dry out too much.

      Delete
  2. A useful store cupboard. I am trying hard to buy only ingredients, so flour and dried yeast instead of bread. I have small pots of homemade tomato sauce in the freezer for our baked beans.
    We are having eggs for one meal a day, and in baking, and still have enough eggs to sell to pay for the chicken food.
    My small shopping trolley is mainly seasonal vegetables, fruit, dairy, baking ingredients, porridge or basic muesli, then some seeds and nuts. The freezer is full of our weekly portions of butter and cheese, plain fish and meat bought on offer or yellow-stickered and frozen in portions. I need to freeze some more cooked pulses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good selection of food for the week, with lots left over at the end of it too. I do miss my chickens.

      You sound very organised. ❤️

      Delete
  3. I've never thought of having peanut butter in porridge - sounds great, I must try it. Not that I'm eating porridge now - it's more of a winter breakfast for me. Unlike my grandfather, who had a bowl of porridge and a boiled egg every day of his long life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was finding myself hungry after an hour of eating my porridge and I was getting fed up with adding half a banana to make it more satisfying, so I thought I would try peanut butter one day ... and it was delicious. And it keeps me satisfied for a lot longer now.

      Delete
  4. Oh, please stop reminding me about peanut butter on toast, and fish finger sandwiches . . . I am drooling again 😝

    Your store cupboard 'shopping' looks good, those Mutti tomatoes are a slipperly slope though, very hard to go back to regular ones after you have tasted those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to get you drooling again. πŸ˜„

      I don't think I can go back to cheap tinned tomatoes now, but that's what the 'eating well on a small budget' is about. Finding quality ingredients that are providing me with a good diet and no wastage The way I will keep the cost down when I need to restock will be by stocking up when they are on offer.

      Delete
    2. We only but them when they are on offer too!

      Delete
    3. Haha ... I guessed. Autocorrect strikes again. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  5. How you make your tomato sauce reminds me very much of how I make a pizza sauce, long and slow, so easy and so tasty. I enjoy reading the comments on your blog, some great tips and chat .
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me a tomato sauce is a pizza sauce, a pasta sauce, a base for a soup and on occasion something to dip big fat chunky chips into. You can call it by any name and vary the flavour with herbs, spices and varying amounts of garlic. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Your meals for the week have looked delicious.
    I do find a spoonful of peanut butter ( I go for the cheapest I can find ) is very good for those hunger gaps between meals.
    I'll be interested to see if you cost this week by adding up all you've used from your stock cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good week, and yes peanut butter is good at any time. πŸ˜€

      If I can I'll work out the value of what's left from my £24.95 spend, but things are a bit here and there at the moment as my Mum was taken into hospital this morning after a rough weekend.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry to hear that your Mum's back in hospital, Sue. Sending you lots of love. xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to read above about your Mum - I hope she is OK.
    Must try the better quality tinned tomatoes after reading earlier comments.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she was rushed in on Monday morning, we knew it was urgent as the ambulance arrived within half an hour, in Manchester it's usually at least five hours these days.

      I have really discovered the difference in taste, and if I do buy the cheaper ones I never go for chopped tomatoes only the whole ones and mash them up myself.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.