Wednesday 22 May 2024

Day Seven - Final Day of Challenge ... and The Leftovers


The final day of the challenge and it was scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast again, same photo, same scraping of mayonnaise on the toast before being topped with a mound of eggs.

That's the last of the eggs, at the end of the week.

Once again I am 'double breading' and for lunch I had beans on toast. 

 I planned it badly ... on day five I had a third of a tin of beans on two slices of toast, and here I have half a tin of beans on my final slice of bread, which was the crust of the loaf.  I'm strange in that I'm not keen on the crusts (heels/ends, whatever you like to call them), I usually use them for breadcrumbs or croutons, or even toast them, crumble them finely and put them out on the bird table ... our chubby pigeons love them ... but smothered in this many beans I managed to eat this one. 😄

So that's the last of the bread on the final day, I planned that well. 

My final meal of this week's challenge was the second portion of pasta with a good sprinkle of my grated cheese.  It was not quite as nice the second time around, but for cooked pasta that had lived in the fridge for two days it wasn't too bad.


My cupboard leftovers at the end of this £25 shopping from home week ... minus a jar of curry sauce which I can't find, but I know I haven't eaten!! 

The mayonnaise bottle has changed from the original one, as that only had a couple of tablespoonfuls left in it so that was used up very quickly


The leftovers in the fridge.

I have decided that the Shepherdess pie filling and the cheese, along with a bit of onion from the salad bowl will be the filling for three pies with a pastry crust, and the salad will be eaten alongside one of the pie meals.

So, it's been a really good week.  

I think that I've eaten well and very healthily, I've felt satisfied every day and having the rough menu plan to work from and to keep me on track, has meant that I've made pretty good use of everything that I chose from the cupboard and the fridge at the start of the week.

I won't be able to go into a second week as something has cropped up at home and I need to help deal with that as a priority.  But this one week has been good and is perhaps something I will consider doing again in the near future.

Thanks for reading along, and I hope at least some of you found it a bit interesting.  It was good for me to get it all down on here and use my blog as a way to keep myself focused.


Sue xx



30 comments:

  1. Well done! I think that, doing it this way, even one week a month, would be helpful in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been extremely interesting. Thank you for taking us along with you.
    (I wonder what happened to that jar of sauce)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, it's really bugging me. 🤔 Watch out, watch out, there's a curry sauce thief about. 😄

      Delete
    2. Is it the one I found in my cupboard last week, which I gave absolutely no recollection of purchasing? I don't usually buy curry sauce!!

      Delete
    3. Haha ... brilliant Angela, perhaps Scottie beamed it up and it landed at yours. :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done and it will be such a treat when the curry sauce turns up. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will and it will stop my brain from wondering, and me keep jumping up and looking in different places as ideas suddenly hit. :-)

      Delete
  4. your ideas are very inspiring and easy to follow to keep control of 'eating' budget and saving some euros(for me;-)), but have to say that I always do want some colour on my plate. So I'm adding parsley, chives, or - it's the season now - some edible flowers (petals of marigold, chives flowers, carnation) all coming from plants on my balcony - greetings Viviane (https://www.instagram.com/vidertextil/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly my homegrown parsley has gone to seed and was extremely bitter, so that's gone on the compost heap now and I'll put a new plant in, and my chives for the first time in years, have completely vanished. I think the birds must have pulled the shoots up.

      Delete
  5. A very good week for you and I have to confess to copying parts of it this week. Thanks Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to think that I helped provide a little bit of inspiration. ❤️

      Delete
    2. I tried peanut butter in porridge, very tasty, thank you.
      Aldi, The Foodie Market peanut butter is just peanuts, £1.25 for 280g.

      Delete
    3. Those great big tubs of Aldi peanut butter are excellent value aren't they. And it's just peanuts as the ingredient, no palm oil or sugar. 🙂

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Rapeseed Oil (60%), Water, Mustard, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Starch, Salt, Plant Fibre (Corn, Flaxseed), Lemon Juice from Concentrate, Faba Bean Protein.

      I just copied and pasted as I'm in the car at the moment, but this is what's in the one in my photo. 🙂

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I think mine is made with eggs, not vegan, but I am not sure.

      Delete
    3. Yes most normal mayo is made with eggs, which I do eat, but commercial mayos tend to have xantham gum in them, which I'm not keen on.

      Delete
  7. Inspiring ! Well done
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really dislike crusts too, strange isn't it?
    I've enjoyed this challenge of yours, by the way seeing your photos has made me decide on tomorrow's breakfast - scrambled eggs on toast 😍
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a more common dislike than I thought. But I guess as they are at the ends of the loaf they are always drier, well that's my theory!

      Delete
  9. If a crust/heel of bread is toasted I don't seem to mind it as much. Like you however I would much rather make it into bread crumbs.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose toasted and with lots of butter they are okay ... or completely softened by lots and lots of baked beans. :-)

      Delete
  10. Tasty meals Sue. I also don't like eating crusts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seems there are quite a few of us. :-)

      Delete
  11. I love crusts! I think it's because my mum used to say that I'd get curly hair if I ate them....she lied! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my Mum used to say that too, she also lied ... big style!!

      Delete
  12. Have you tried freezing chopped parsley?
    I saw mine was running to seed so cropped all the leaves and gave them a brief chop before putting them on a tray in the freezer.
    After about an hour they were brittle so I pressed them into a Flora tub.
    I use a good pinch straight from the freezer in omelettes, on potatoes etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it freezes really well. I have a couple of tubs in the freezer. I use it the same as you. I also freeze basil leaves in the same way. 🌱

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.