Monday 3 June 2024

'It's food Jim, but not as we know it ... '

 

'It's food Jim ... but not as we know it!'


This misquote from Star Trek with Mr Spock talking to the Captain came to mind as soon as I tucked into my Vegan Royale.  It looked the part but any taste was just not there.  All I could taste with any flavour was the mayo and the lettuce and the 'patty' was textural and nothing else.

Textural ... but not in a good way.

I managed just over half because I was hungry and then Alan finished it off and we shared a small portion of fries.

Alan's 'Bacon Double Cheeseburger', was quite tasty he said, but we literally both laughed out loud at the size of it.  Four or five little bites and it was gone.  Thank goodness for the chips and the filling power of the coffees.

Such has been our snatched food intake over the last few weeks with Mum in hospital and us up and down the motorway.  The Greggs vegan sausage rolls have been a life saver, but they are so good that they are first thing to sell out so I have had to make other choices on a couple of occasions ... hence the Royale yesterday.

I am going to have to try and make more time to take us a sandwich from home when we are visiting at awkward times, I managed it once and it was so much better.  Sadly because of our distance from the hospital and the motorways we have to use, it takes us a while to get there, and Friday night's trip was the worst one yet.

But the main thing is that Mum was looking a little better yesterday, although sadly she said she felt awful.


My first shopping trip of June, you can tell I needed fresh stuff in my system.

I Spent £6.93


Closely followed by a second shopping trip a couple of days later when Alan asked if I wanted to go to Aldi with him.  A total of £21.19 here in this photo and an overall total for the week of £28.12.

I'm already over this week's budget, but I now have lots of lovely healthy things to eat and bread to make sandwiches with, and that is the main thing.


Sue xx



9 comments:

  1. Sending hugs, it's a difficult time emotionally and logistically when loved ones are in hospital. I hope your Mum makes good progress.
    Now you've had time to replenish the fridge and larder, it'll be easier to take food with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough time for you all. Sending ❤️🙏👍😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s really hard trying to organise food for yourself when your Mum is ill. During Tony’s last months I spent a fortune in the M and S foodhall - partly for me but mostly because the good he was given was so awful
    he just couldn’t eat it . I hope your Mu is feeling g much better soon .
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're having to make all these journeys to the hospital. I was a little more fortunate in my parents were both in Walsall Manor, a 20 minute walk from home. I hope your Mum's feeling better soon and can be discharged.
    I'm probably the only vegetarian in the UK never to have eaten a Gregg's sausage roll! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always tricky planning meals around long journeys and hospital visits isn't it? I can happily eat a fast food meal once or twice but soon get fed up with the lack of freshness and slightly odd flavours..........totally agree about the size of burgers, certainly feels like portion control seems to be foisted on us 😉😆
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about motorway food. I try to take food with us and buy coffee but sometimes you have no choice and have to take what’s offered. Lovely healthy choices in your shopping and hopefully you will be able to sort out food for travelling. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully your Mum will be discharged soon and you can have a bit of a rest from traveling. Good idea to bring something more palatable with you on the road.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your mother makes a quick recovery. It's not always easy to take a packed lunch when one travels, but, being able to take a sandwich or two will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear that your mum is in hospital. It's a trauma for all of you and very stressful to have to travel miles to see her. I agree about fast food not being very good. It will be far healthier if you are able to take food with you. Sending healing thoughts to your mum and the strength to cope to you, Sue . Angie x

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.