Monday 24 June 2024

Time for a Shopping and Food Budget Catch Up

 

From Booths - Total - £2.50

We've been much better since the post about fast food and service stations and the few shopping trips that I have been on recently have included bread or buns for taking our own sandwiches once we arrive at the hospital to visit Mum.  

Waiting for a space in the busy car park gives us time to eat our packed lunch and have a cold drink, and then on the way in to the ward we have been buying two coffees for less than a fiver from the hospital café, which we have to pass anyway so it would be rude not to.  It's a good cup of coffee, very similar to Nescafe and sorely needed after a 90 minute drive.

Later the same week, this little shop was from Aldi for £14.43.  Not a bad price at all considering that I was tempted in the middle aisles to buy a plant in a planter.

Total money spent on shopping in this week was £16.93.

Then last week I shopped twice:


More sandwich fillings and bready items ... and some Caramel Wafers for Alan, they are his weakness.  


The dogs got a free pot of Jude's Dog Ice-cream to share, as it was last weeks little Booths freebie for cardholders.


And then on Saturday we had a day off from hospital visiting and went to a Book Fair in Barton, after having a coffee and a slice of cake I treated myself to £19.50 worth of books from various stalls.  A bit of a splurge I know, but it was nice to browse and support local bookdealers for a change.

So a total spend last week of £35.

And now I am up to date with all my recent purchases, I've got to keep the records as straight as I can. 😀

Although somewhere along the line this other book 'Stories for Summer' turned up.  

I must have ordered it a while ago from Amazon and it was on the doormat when I got home.  As the few things that I order from Amazon don't come out of my cash shopping budget this can slip quietly under the radar.  😄


Now it's time to put the kettle on and get back to my current book.  Summer seems to have arrived in the last couple of days, so me and the animals are keeping cool in the Lodge, with lots of drinks and the occasional gravy bones ... that's more the dogs than me.  😉


Sue xx


18 comments:

  1. I'm miserable without a mug of coffee during long car or train journeys so I make a powder mix of one part Azera ( or the cheaper Aldi version ) to two parts Coffeemate, tumbled together in a small jar.
    I take a small flask of boiling water and Sweeter if I want a sweet coffee.
    Oh and a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a small bottle of sparkling water on a long car journey (filled from a large bottle over and over) I don't like coffee from a flask. Alan takes his reusable cup with either coffee or tea for the journey and I pack him a can of fizzy orange to go with his sandwich. But it's nice to have a freshly made coffee after we've had lunch.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing great, keeping to your budget. I'm planning to order some groceries this week, as well as a few other household items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I have got my finger back on the pulse a bit more this month after last months blip. :-)

      Delete
  3. Keeping to your budget is awesome, and the treat of some books is more than allowed in my mind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, what would life be without books. :-)

      Delete
  4. Loving the book flow chart - and I totally agree. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this kind of flow chart. :-)

      Delete
  5. Nice selection of groceries and even nicer selection of books 😍
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I think I love a book haul more than a food shopping haul for sure. :-)

      Delete
  6. I like that Warburtons bread as it’s not too heavy but has lots of seeds. I was interested in your selection of books and recently bought some for my Kindle as we were away in Wales. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not looked at the stash of books on my Kindle (now actually all on my phone) for ages, I need to have a peek and see what I have on there.

      Delete
  7. DH puts things he fancies in the Amazon on-line shopping basket sometimes, instead of in the Wish List, to think about them, and compare prices, and decide that they are a waste of money.
    I nearly got caught out when I was buying the dog food and found an extra £50 on the total as I was about to pay. The price of the dog food was a shock, up from £28 to £49 in three years, and that was the cheapest I could find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been caught out with that myself, accidently adding Alan's years supply of toothpaste left languishing in the basket to the price of just one book for me ... and I didn't notice until after I'd paid. Oops!!

      Delete
  8. Hi! I used to read your previous blog, Our New Life in the Country, when I was 22 and at university. I’m now 31 with 3 small children and I’ve just had a sudden thought about you, and now here I am! Looking forward to working my way through all your previous posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back to the gang, so much has changed since the Our New Life in the Country days. Congratulations on the 3 children, I have managed to acquire 3 great-grandchildren since then. :-)

      Gosh you have a few blogs and a LOT of posts if you are going to read back over the last few years.

      Delete
  9. Lovely selection of breads and books♥ I hope it won't be long before your Mum is back home xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been moved to a rehabilitation nursing home just this morning, to see if she will ever be able to live at home again. I'm sure she's really pleased to be out of hospital after 5 weeks.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.