Wednesday 26 June 2024

When it all fits in neatly ... and Homemade Scones.


 Isn't it just oh so satisfying when you can tip a bag of something or other into a jar and it all fits in easily.  There's nothing worse than a little bit left over that has to either be put into another jar or left in the rolled up bag.

Or maybe it's just me being weird!!  😁


I'd used the last of the flour that had been in the jar the previous day when I made up a little batch of scones for us to share.

Nothing fancy just the most basic of recipes with a handful of sultanas for some fruity flavour.  Here's the recipe copied form my other blog and used regularly by me.  

Scones

8oz/225g SR Flour
pinch of salt
2oz/50g butter/margarine
1oz/25g caster sugar
a handful of dried fruit
milk or other suitable liquid

Simply rub in the butter/margarine into the flour/salt until it looks like breadcrumbs and then stir in the sugar.  Pour in enough milk/buttermilk or similar to make it into a reasonably firm dough and either roll out briefly or just pat into shape. 

A way of making this even cheaper is to add a tablespoon of dried milk powder to the dry mix and then you can make your scones up with water instead of milk.
The less you handle this mix the better your scones will rise.  Never twist your cutters if using them to make round scones or that will make them rise unevenly. When I'm in a rush I simply make the dough into a large circle with my hands and then cut this into four.

Brush with milk, taking care not to drip down the sides of the scones, then put on a greased or lined baking tray and cook for 10-12 minutes in a hot oven.

This mix can also be used as a crumble topping, add a little more brown sugar and some oats for added flavour and pour on top of your chosen fruit in an ovenproof dish and bake until it is all piping hot and nicely browned.  
You can also use your scone mix to make a quick pizza base or cut into small scones and use in place of dumpling in a stew or casserole.

You can't beat a nice fresh homemade scone with a cup of coffee at the end of a long day can you.  They are one of Alan's favourite treats.  πŸ˜€


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Not weird at all - I find it most frustrating when there's a bit left over. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy scones-still my favourite treat to make and eat. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can literally think about wanting some and then be eating them fresh from the oven in just over half an hour.

      Delete
  3. I don't put sultanas in scones anymore but jam on top of plain ones instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always add some sultanas, but I had noticed the jar of them in the cupboard only that morning, so I decided to add them. I actually like cheese scones best, and Alan has lots of jam on top of them too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Are scones like our biscuits? I've had scones here from a bakery and they are usually sweet (orange/cranberry are my favorites). And your biscuits are cookies, is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are similar. Scones can be sweet as these ones are or savoury with cheese and occasionally herbs or spices added. Yes you call our biscuits cookies, although recently big fat squidgy biscuits are also called 'cookies' in our shops now.

      Delete
  5. I love a scone, so quick to make..........we like them with or without sultanas, or a cheese version. Mostly I make them with an egg as part of the liquid as I like the texture to be slightly cakey, but I realise that's not suitable for vegan/ vegetarian tastes. There's always a bit left in the bag when I tip porridge oats into the jar, drives me mad!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dangerously quick to make, from thought to eating in just over half an hour!! Alan once made some scones with an egg as the liquid, they were delicious and as you say more of a cakey texture.

      Delete
  6. I love all things scone but especially with jam and cream. Your post has my mouth watering already for the cream tea I’ll have on my trip back to my hometown in Devon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious aren't they, and now I'm fancying them again after reading and replying to all the comments. πŸ˜„

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your scone recipe. One of these days, I'll have to buy myself some SR flour and try making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use plain flour and a teaspoon of baking powder, which is what I used to do when I bought plain flour. Now I just use SR flour for everything, it saves me having two bags of flour on the go at the same time.

      Delete
  8. I also wish to say thank you for sharing your recipe. Not sure we have self-rising flour here in Canada, but I have found a recipe to make my own.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe works just as well with plain flour and a teaspoon of baking powder. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  9. I made scones for the hotel owners next door - they went into raptures about them! (I may need to add that we live in France, so scones aren't so well known here.) I use a squeeze of lemon juice and warm up the milk slightly. It adds a certain acidity which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that really helps with the rise too, making them lovely and light. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  10. I have changed to using strong bread flour to make scones and using a ridiculous amount of baking powder - Paul Hollywood style. Also the roll, fold, turn, roll, fold approach - the rise is amazing. Forgot to do the fold and turn one time, still tasty but noticeably flatter.
    https://iwannabake.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/pau-hollywoods-cheddar-and-chive-scones.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His scones look amazing. I've never used that much baking powder in a recipe, does it give them a slightly bitter taste?

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.