Wednesday 10 April 2024

Meat-Free Sausage Rolls

 


Last month I bought a packet of these meat-free sausage rolls from Sainsbury's, they were price matched to my favourite frozen sausage rolls from Aldi, but would they be as good?

In a word - NO!!

Although they are supposed to be the same weight as each Aldi sausage roll, the filling to pastry ratio seemed a lot different.  Much more pasty on these and not even a delicious enough pastry to make this acceptable. 


Strangely, even though the Aldi ones are higher in fat they are lower in calories so of course I had to check this out.  It turns out that the Sainsbury's version are higher in sugar and overall higher in carbohydrates by quite a bit.  They are also higher in protein but strangely left me much less satisfied than the Aldi ones usually do.

Why this obsession with sausage rolls you may be wondering ... well when we were up and down the motorway visiting Mum in hospital we made a few stops at Rivington service station, which is one of the services that has a Greggs Bakery and I may have partaken of a few of their famous vegan sausage rolls.  😀


Now Greggs make delicious meat-free sausage rolls, even loved and purchased by meat eaters as the spicy mixture they contain is delicious.  They are more expensive than either Aldi or the price-matched Sainsbury's versions, as you would expect a product cooked for you and ready to eat would be, but they are still relatively cheap at £1.50 each or 4 for £4, which is an ongoing offer.

So in order of superiority of taste and satisfaction my ranking is:

Greggs
Aldi Plant Menu
and if I really, really have to ... Sainsbury's Plant Pioneers.

Now usually of course I don't live on a diet of sausage rolls every day, or even every week for that matter, but when I do decide on a pastry treat it's nice to know which are the best isn't it.

Have you taste tasted any different versions of your favourite foods recently?


Sue xx




18 comments:

  1. I like Greggs vegan saus roll but haven't had one for a while as I have been in for breakfast a few times and have their bacon roll - loads of bacon ( sadly not vegan!) plus a coffee for special offer of £2.85 which is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a bargain, I better not tell Alan. 😀 Their coffee is really good as well isn't it, I was surprised.

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit wary of quite a few price matched things. I tried Tesco's price matched tinned chopped tomatoes which they market as "Growers' Harvest". Price matched they may be but quality matched they are not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, as I found out this time. It's worth a try to find out which things are as good, but some just don't make the grade do they.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sue, Iceland sell frozen Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls at £3 for four. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know. Sadly we don't have an Iceland anywhere near us. Perhaps we should have an afternoon out to buy LOTS of boxes. 😀

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of sausage rolls but the outcome never seems to match with the anticipation. Home made ones are, for me, the nicest but just for Christmas and Family celebrations really.
    But when you've found ones you love - why not, eh? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just watched 'Those Vegan Guys' meals of the week video on YouTube, and they made a 'sausage roll butty' ... now there's something that I have to try. 😀

      Homemade ones are delicious aren't they, and of course you can add lots of extras to the filling.

      Delete
  5. I must try one of these Greggs vegan rolls -we have three brabches of Greggs in our town! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to try to make my own sausage rolls.... not vegan though. Cost here is really high for them and I think I can make my own for a fraction of the cost.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, making your own both, pastry and filling would be so much cheaper ... and healthier no doubt too.

      Delete
  7. Something I've never tried, I think I'm put off puff pastry for life after having to live on reduced to clear cheese and potato pasties from the college canteen when I was an impoverished student. I've never been in a Greggs, I thought you weren't allowed in unless you wore joggers (or maybe that's just the Black Country branches!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... the Greggs at the services have all sorts of folk in the queue, from people in joggers to men in business suits, they don't discriminate. ;-)

      I'm saddened by puff pastry these days it's all air and flake, I much prefer good old shortcrust. Strangely both the Aldi and the Sainsbury's seem to be a hybrid of the two pastries. Perhaps that's why I prefer the Greggs!

      Delete
  8. Greggs baked goods - tasty and good value. This is perhaps a strange one ( junk food!) I much prefer the Aldi lentil salted chips/crisps to the posher brand ( name escapes me!) and they are MUCH cheaper.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know which ones you mean, my Mum loves them too, the Aldi ones more than the originals. 🙂

      Delete
  9. A diversion from my normal Greggs sausage roll was to eat a Costa one recently - nope, not nearly as nice.
    The vegetarian Greggs sausage roll is so delicious round here that even the hardened carnivores love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alan said the spicing of the vegan one was much nicer than his meat one. 🙂

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.