Saturday 20 April 2024

It's Been a Good Week Up To Now.

 


It's the third week of April and this is my fourth little shop.  I'm determined to keep the costs down for the rest of the month so I will only be buying what I absolutely have to.

However, I was down to my last couple of little twin packs of Biscoff biscuits in my jar, so when I saw these with 50p off for Nectar card holders I thought I would buy a new packet.  These last me for ages as I only eat them when we are out and about and Alan buys himself a cake or something to have with his pot of tea.  He does of course offer to buy me a snack, but recently there has rarely been a dairy-free option that I could have, so a pack of these in my bag means I at least have something to dunk in my coffee ... and Alan doesn't feel too guilty. 😀

The receipt.


In other news this week, in a bid to make the most of what I already have in the lodge, I turned a bag of lemon and apple trimmings, peelings and cores, along with two wrinkly apples into three jars of Compost Heap Jelly.  I already had a little jar of jam sugar and some other various sugars in the cupboard so it cost me nothing to make.

(For more information on how to make this see THIS post.)


And I made a slight inroads into the rice mountain with a couple of meals of dahl and brown rice. 😁 

 There is more dahl here than this photo suggests, as I had reheated it in the large dish in the microwave and it had spread itself out in a thin layer.  So, I just tipped the rice on top and stirred it all together when I started eating.

Fresh shopping, bargain biscuits, free jam and tasty dahl ... it's been a good week up to now.

I've just edited this post to include the shopping from the Farm Shop we went to after my birthday lunch at Barton Grange yesterday.   Alan paid as he bought things too.  So free food for me ... including the extra mayo and napkins from lunch.

Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. Good for Alan - definitely part of your strategy, isn't he?
    The food all looks great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very good at paying for things when we're out and about as he earns twice the amount I do because of his Royal Navy pension. It's a really nice farm shop.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are keeping to your grocery budget and keeping your spending low. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all working out well one way or another. 🙂

      Delete
  3. We like those Biscoff biscuits too and the Poundland shop has a huge selection of every combination that are made. I usually pop a couple of packets in my bag when we go out as I don’t always want a scone etc whereas husband will have a roll and something. Glad you had a lovely birthday. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to get mine from Poundland. Unfortunately, we don't have one anywhere near us, so now I get them when they are on offer in Sainsbury's. 🙂

      Delete
  4. There's something addictive about those biscuits , I must pick a pack up next time I'm in a discount store.
    The freebies continue - looking good for your April spends
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only usually buy the packet with the little individually wrapped pairs of biscuits, if I bought the others they would be gone in a flash. The cream filled ones are delicious but I've been good recently and not bought them, they usually vanish in just two coffee breaks. 😂

      Delete
  5. I have managed to give up bought biscuits by reading the UPF ingredients. I am quite happy with a very small pot of Aldi Fruit and Nut Mix, 59p for 200g, or a few almonds or Brazil nuts to go with tea when we are out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont many biscuits but these fulfill a real purpose so I will continue buying them. I only seem to eat nuts with breakfast, I'm not keen on them with coffee. 🙂

      Delete
  6. I thought for a minute Andy Murray had gone into vegan pasty production! Finally sussed it says Ruby…..and luckily that made more sense!! Karen S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, Ruby Murray rhyming slang for curry, and very delicious. 😄

      Delete
  7. I like the look of that posh pickle! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks very promising doesn't it. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but please keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are always welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments.