Monday, 28 September 2026

The 3 Meals a Day for £1 in 2026 Food - Part Two

 

Breakfast - Porridge and Stewed Apple

WEDNESDAY

Wednesday's food was relatively easy to both cook and eat, it was mostly a case of reheating what I had made previously.


The stewed apple waiting to be joined by the porridge.

Lunch - Vegetable Soup

I had the other half of this vegetable soup from Tuesdays meal plan, and yes I forgot to photograph that as well, so here's the jug again! 😄

I forgot to add that on both soup days it was served with a slice of toast for dunking.  Soup without toast is just very sad.   

Tea - Vegetable Stew and Toast

It was a small portion as I just wasn't that hungry, but I did have a couple of spoonful's of the stewed apple with a cup of coffee as a little bit of supper.


THURSDAY

Breakfast - Porridge and Banana

I decided to cook the banana in the porridge rather than slice it cold on the top.  It was a chilly morning, one of the first this year, with a heavy mist shrouding the garden.

Dinner - Beans on Toast

My dinner felt very different as I decided to open the tin of beans and have half on two slices of toast.  Beans on toast is a very British meal and a really comforting one.  This was very good but as I had put it onto a small plate, trying to eat this on my knee in front of the television proved ever so messy!!

Note to self - use a bigger plate next time. 😄

Tea - Dahl and Rice

It was so good to have a nice homemade ready meal waiting for me, no cooking and only a dish and a spoon to wash up.  This is one of the portions from the fridge and one of the six frozen blocks of rice.  I love that the dahl has moulded itself to the shape of the little plastic takeaway pot it was saved into.


FRIDAY

Breakfast Porridge with Stewed Apple

Yep, no photo ... I didn't do very well at all did I.  I could have cheated and had porridge one day this week for my breakfast and took a photo ... but I don't do that. 

The makings of my dinner.  

I saved a little bit of the red onion for later in the week and then used up all but one of the carrots, the smaller of the two remaining potatoes and the rest of the lentils.  The little salt and peppers from my freebie stash came in very useful as this really needed flavour adding.

Dinner - Carrot and Lentil Soup with Toast

This soup was delicious, and luckily I had enough to be able to have it again the next day.

Tea - Dahl and Rice

Another meal straight out of the fridge and freezer and absolutely delicious.  I could eat this every night of every week and never get bored with it.

Another day over and I wasn't flagging at all, maybe I'm a bit annoyed with myself now when I see how many photos I forgot to take, but that's just the way it was.  Life gets in the way and we all just do the best we can.  💚

I'll be back with the final part of the challenge next time.


Sue xx



2 comments:

  1. All your options look healthy if a little repetitive. I think that the many food options and the built in hyper-palatable UPF today have made a lot of people too picky about food. I often think of the pioneers trekking across to the American west and their lack of variety. Food is fuel. I always enjoy following your challenges and I think they make great statements about choices in general in addition to the budgeting aspect. ~ Carol in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really no way to be able to make 21 different meals, or even just 7 different evening meals, for a week with just £7 is there. Especially if you also want to make them relatively nutritious. I don't eat that way on my normal budget of £20 a week either. There is always some repetition, unless I have lots of frozen meals from previous weeks to choose from. My trick to keeping sane on a small budget like £7 is to make only things I really love, hence the dahl. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.