Autumn, my favourite season. ๐ค๐๐งก
A very lucky score on the charity book table this week.
I've always wanted to read this but somehow never gotten around to it, now I can once I finish the book I'm currently halfway through. Isn't Michelle Obama such a very beautiful person, in looks, intelligence and attitude.
My Summer to Winter changeover is now almost complete. My t-shirts were removed from the drawer ...
... and the jumpers and pyjamas replaced them.
Now the weather will turn hot and sunny, but this year I have left a few summer weight things out, it's not fooling me again like last year. ๐
The only drawback to doing this over the past week has been the near constant rain, so things have had to have a quick wash and dry overnight on the airer instead of on the washing line. Some of my jumpers are ten years old or maybe more, and a couple around five, but they come out at this time each year and go away again in Spring. The changeover each year feels like having a new wardrobe of clothes, but at the same time somehow it's like welcoming old friends back into the fold.
I'm not completely against new clothes, and after a completely fruitless trawl of charity shops I have added a couple more new checked shirts from good old M&S to my collection of Autumn wear this year.
I love reusing my 'old' clothes season after season, and I am completely in favour of the ban that France and a lot of Europe are bringing in on the advertising of fast fashion brands like Shein and Temu. I have never and would never buy from either company, but each to their own.
Sue xx

I love that poster about September. It really captures autumn.
ReplyDeleteIt really does doesn't it. ๐งก๐ค๐
DeleteAbsolutely agree about the wardrobe changeover. I abhor the Fast Fashion garments from Temu and Shein, made in cheap acrylic, destined for everlasting landfill. And I hate being asked to shorten or alter them because they are difficult fabrics to work with.
ReplyDeleteI went up to a lady in a cafรฉ once to tell her how much I liked her jumper, it was great from a distance, but close up it looked very 'plastic-y'. "Oh it's from Temu" she said really proudly. I made her happy with the compliment, but I was not tempted to buy one!!
DeleteI was also hoping to give my colder weather clothes a quick refresh but we’ve had rain for the past few days. Looking better this morning so the change may begin. Love the poster -it really is so autumnal. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI managed to get a few things out on the line before we left for Manchester this morning, so it's a successful day. ๐
DeleteI am very much of the 'buy quality and it lasts' frame of mind and I try to stick to natural materials rather than acrylic, which is getting more difficult but is still possible - I find myself checking labels all the time! I do need to have a sort out of my wardrobe though - a job over the next week or so, I think.
ReplyDeleteAfter the summer we have just endured, I am so pleased to welcome Autumn!
Best wishes
Ellie
Sadly, I do have to go for acrylic mixes as I'm allergic to wool. Which is another reason for making my clothes, especially Winter clothes, last as long as possible. ๐ซค
DeleteIt's lovely to be in a cooler and rainy season isn't it.
I have some tried and true things that I will likely never part with, either. If it ain't broke, it doesn't need replacing.
ReplyDeleteYes, exactly. ❤️ I'm more and more of this opinion as I get older. ๐
DeleteI have to buy acrylic mixes too. Pure wool makes me itch and can create a rash on my arms so I try to make my clothes last as long as possible. My Granddaughter is smitten with Temu and Shein and buys far too much. Each garment Is often worn just once and sometimes they languish in her wardrobe with the tags still on. I wish our government would ban advertising here too. I hate waste.
ReplyDeleteAngie
PS I love the sentiment of the poster above :)
Yes, I am exactly the same with wool. ☹️ The only good side to this is that so many of the really beautiful jumpers and cardigans that come out at this time of year have some level of wool in them, so I can't be tempted to buy them. ๐
DeleteMost of my clothes come from thrifts. The quality is so much better and the price is better. Socks and some underwear are the only items I buy new. I also can’t wear wool.
ReplyDeleteI would much rather buy a quality item secondhand than a few cheap new ones. Pre-loved, as they are now called really is preferable. ❤️
DeleteIt feels autumnal here quite suddenly, and my lovely sweatshirts, sweaters, and warm flannel shirts have reappeared. I missed them.
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling, it's good to see all my check shirts hanging in the wardrobe again. ❤️
DeleteWe have clothing from Shein donated to the op shop where I volunteer, quite often it’s still got labels on. It’s such poor quality and fit most of it is unwearable. JennyP
ReplyDeleteI think I got out of thd charity shop sector at the right time. It must be horrendous having lots of cheap products donated, it was bad enough before. ๐ซค
DeleteI agree with you on fast fashion. I also try and make a great many of my own clothes, some of which I have had for many a year.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
That is a great skill to have. ❤️
DeleteI was hot on my walk in just a t-shirt this morning. I have three chests of drawers in my bedroom (it was what fitted where when we moved). One was Keith's but the other two have summer clothes in one and winter clothes in the other. I got a new autumn/winter jumper from the charity shop recently, it's 100% cotton from Edinburgh Woollen Mill, and so washes well.
ReplyDeleteToday it's been hot if you're directly in the sun, but really chilly in the shade. But somehow I love it even more. Cardi on, cardi off. ๐
DeleteIt's starting to cool off here, too, but, since I keep all my clothes in the closet or drawers all year, I don't put away summer clothes and bring out fall/winter clothes. I don't buy a lot of clothes - I get most of my clothes given to me by family members when they declutter their closets. I'm fine with that!
ReplyDeleteI just don't have the space to be able to do that unfortunately. I love the switch over anyway, it's like having new clothes for a while, even though they are actually really old clothes. ๐
Delete