I picked the last of the homegrown rhubarb at the start of the week, there was a lot more of it than I had thought. It's no wonder the end of the garden seemed small, it was cowering under gigantic rhubarb leaves. 😄
Also in that photo is the last but one picking of the blueberries. I am bringing them in as and when they turn the right shade of blue, before the birds spot them. They are all added to a little tub in the freezer after a quick wash. There's not a lot but they will be a nice addition to some little cakes or suchlike.
Two big pans full of lovely rhubarb stewed down with sugar and a splash of water.
I got eleven takeaway sized tubs worth of rhubarb in total, which are now safely nestled in my freezer taking up
lots of space.
With the much cooler nights drawing in, yesterday was the big changeover from my Summer duvet to the Winter one, this necessitates getting all the vacuum bags out from under the bed and airing both the one coming off and the one going on, on the washing line. I was very lucky with the weather and it was a lovely sunny and blowy day.
After swapping the duvets over I am now starting on the clothes swap around.
Most of my Summer clothes get put away and my Autumn/Winter ones come out. With only one small wardrobe to hang things in, this has been an annual twice a year thing, but as my collection of clothes goes down maybe not to far in the future they will all stay out all year round. Although of course it's always nice to put the very summery lightweight and light coloured things away and see them again the following year.
But as it's as good as going shopping twice a year, and always a good way to declutter a few more things each time I do it, maybe it will continue. 💖
Sue xx
We’re at 7.5 tog for now but I may soon need a little fleece over the top. Well save the 10.5 unti it’s really cold. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI go straight from the 4, plus a lightweight patchwork quilt, to the 10.5. Somehow Alan sleeps with a 13.5 all year round!! 🥵
DeleteI love rhubarb but it doesn't love me
ReplyDeleteAw, that's not fair is it. 🫤
DeleteI wish we had picked more of our rhubarb over the summer but somehow it got forgotten and I just have a couple of bags of chopped up rhubarb in the freezer. We did, however, give our allotment neighbour free rein to take whatever he wanted from the plants, whenever he wanted, so it hasn't gone to waste. In return, he let me pick some of his luscious blackberries so they are in the freezer too for crumbles ;)
ReplyDeleteAngie
Rhubarb is funny isn't it, you get so used to it just being there with the leaves getting bigger and bigger, you somehow don't get around to actually picking it. Lucky you with blackberries though, the ones growing wild near us are poor specimens this year. 🫤
DeleteI'm envious of your rhubarb! I can't grow it in my climate and it is very expensive to buy and not all grocery stores carry it. It's still too hot to make the summer to winter switch, here. The quilts will stay in the linen closet for at least another month or so. :)
ReplyDeleteConsidering it grows so well in England I'm always surprised that more of our shops don't sell it, and when they do it's quite expensive. I guess it's down to awkward transportation with it going limp relatively quickly. 🫤
DeleteEnjoy your last month of warmth, it's really changed here now.
It's quite a seasonal ritual, going from one quilt to another...
ReplyDeleteIt is isn't it, I always sleep really well the first night with the 'new' quilt in place.
Delete