On the previous post, in the comment section, Maeve asked if our new kitchen is the same as the one in the annexe. So I thought I would dig out a few old blog photos to show you all just how much it really is the same. A good side bonus to being a long-term blogger, is that you have an arsenal of photos at your finger tips to share and share again if the urge to do so overcomes you. 😀
There are three main differences, the first being the size as the new kitchen is much larger. In my current kitchen there is only actually one set of drawers, two single base cupboards and one double wall cupboard. Both base cupboards house something, one of them the sink base and it's pipes and the other one the main electrical consumer unit, so there is not actually a lot of shelf space in them. What looks like a large cupboard next to the fridge freezer is actually housing the combi-boiler.
The second difference is the sink.
My current one is cream in colour and has a twin bowl design, and the new one is stainless steel with just one larger sink bowl. You do learn from your mistakes and I have. The cream one while looking brilliant, and tying in so well with the colour palette of the kitchen, takes a lot more upkeep than any sink I have ever had before. We eat a lot of spicy curries and tomatoey pasta sauces and they can stain it so easily. Stainless steel is so much better at coping with this.
The final difference is the worktop, or countertop if you are not from the UK.
While it looks exactly the same from above, the new one is a traditional worktop thickness and my current one is a much narrower design and is what is also used as the backsplash in place of tiles. While the kitchen design company could get enough of this for the backsplash of the new kitchen, we had to go with a standard thickness for the worktops.
Alongside these three main differences there is also the size of the induction hob, I currently have a two zone or multi use sized hob and in the bungalow it will be a four zone. Above it I have a smaller extractor unit than we have in the new place. Our new one actually has shelves incorporated into the cupboard around the extractor fan, so even more storage ... although only Alan can reach the top shelf, unless I keep my little steps handy.
The last difference that I can think of is the washing machine, in my current kitchen I decided to keep my old freestanding washing machine, but as our new kitchen is in the only living area of the bungalow this time we have gone for an integrated model.
Over the years I have have made very good use of the space in my current much smaller kitchen, it has really done me well. So because Alan has always liked my kitchen he was more than happy for me to work with the same kitchen designer and fitter to replicate it. 💖
Finally, here are the two kitchen designs in the final planning stage.
My current kitchen.
Our new kitchen.
Oh, just look at all those cupboards and drawers. 😁
Right ... that's more than enough kitchen talk.
Sue xx
I'm trying to think about what will be going where in our new kitchen as I am doing the final tweaks tomorrow 🤔
ReplyDeleteYour pictures and comments are a great help
DeleteThat's the exciting bit isn't it. We have already decided on the 'brewing up' area going next to where the fridge/freezer will stand ... handy for milk for Alan's tea. Also the super huge cutlery tray will be in the top drawer nearest the sink, for ease of putting cutlery away after washing pots. Apart from that the world is my lobster. 😄
DeleteI'm glad it's helpful, I always find actually seeing things rather than than just a description is so much easier on my brain. 😄
DeleteHoping you (&Kirsten) have great joy with your new cupboards and worktops. Having a horribly stained 'white' sink when we bought our home, changing to a stainless steel one was a good move.
ReplyDeleteWhat are the fittings in the corner units like? 18 months on from our refit, I'm still tweaking the arrangements of what goes into which cupboard.
Alan has done a fabulous job!
In the new kitchen the corner to the right of the sink houses the instant hot water heater, as seen in yesterday's YouTube video. The large space next to it will house a free standing bin. The corner near the open shelving is just cupboard space, we didn't want any of the corner contraptions. It will be used for things we rarely have to get out but do want to hold onto for now, or for longer term food storage as the main food store will be in that double cupboard.
DeleteNever too much kitchen talk! It's all looking fabulous and Alan has done a brilliant job on all the floor tiling. You will have fun filling all those cupboards.
ReplyDeleteAnother week or so and the tiling might be finished, he's already said he never wants to lay another floor tile in his life ... his knees agree with him. 😄
DeleteOh I feel your pain on pale sinks being a nightmare. when we moved into the flat the sink was a white one - looked fabulous but my word it was ALWAYS dirty! As soon as we started planning the replacement kitchen I immediately said stainless steel, and we ended up with a big commercial style one which was wonderful. Here at the house thankfully our predecessors opted for a stainless steel one when they did the kitchen - although smaller than our old one and with a separate third-sized bowl adjacent. My preference as and when we come to replace would be to revert to the big commercial style one, but that may depend whether we elect to work with the existing granite worktops. It’s away off yet anyway - we have a mortgage to pay off first!
ReplyDeleteYep, no matter how hard I try there's always a feeling that it's not quite as clean as it could be. I think we learn something from every home we live in, and there's a lot to learn about kitchens isn't there. 😄
DeleteIt's going to be absolutely wonderful when it's in - so much storage for dry goods and tins etc, as well as your normal kitchen bits. Personally, I prefer my washing machine in the Utility, as it is noisy to share a room with. That's just me though and I have had the space to do that in both my Welsh homes. I agree with you about stained sinks - I have a small white Belfast sink/drainer and use lots of tomatoes, make plenty of curries etc so it's always scrubadubdub time.
ReplyDeleteIt is in now, I filmed it and added it to the previous post. It looks as good as I planned. 😀 While a utility would have been nice, the bungalow is just too small to have one. We'll manage. 😄
DeleteLooks swish!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, we're happy with the finished results. 🙂
DeleteIt’s going to be gorgeous, I too have gone back to stainless steel sinks with no regrets.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
It will look completely finished when we lift all the cardboard off the floor. But it's good to finally have it in and working. 😀
DeleteThat is quite a size difference! It will be so nice to have more storage space. We have a stainless steel twin-bowl sink and I'm not a fan of the design. What's that little middle bowl for, anyway? It's just not very useful!
ReplyDeleteI've always used it for draining things in, or for leaving little food bits soaking in when I've been picking from the garden. But I can definitely do without it, as we always use a washing up bowl which can easily be lifted out of the main sink.
DeleteMy friend used to put cutlery in there so it wasn't in the main sink when washing up so you couldn't accidentally cut yourself on knives etc.
DeleteOh yes, I have done that before when cutlery has needed soaking. :-)
DeleteIt is quite beautiful.
ReplyDeleteTongue-in-cheek (and having been with you for many years) I wonder if a future Challenge might be something to do with emptying out those capacious cupboards and decluttering, xx
We've both been decluttering before the upcoming move, so even amalgamating our two kitchens we should have plenty of space for everything ... and then some. 😄
DeleteAlthough our house is only 4 years old and we're the second people in here, the kitchen cupboards weren't my choice, a sort of greige colour, which I do like and flat fronted, so no awkward bits to wipe, plus there's a 1 and half stainless steel sink. We also have a utility room. Our fridge freezer is built in as is the dishwasher. I'm still moving stuff around, but will get there eventually. One thing I do like is the 3 deep drawers under the hob for cutlery, saucepans and bakeware - very handy. Hope yours all comes together. Xx
ReplyDeleteHaving drawers instead of cupboards, that you have to crouch down to get into is a real game changer isn't it. We have both appreciated the drawers where we are now, so it made sense to put even more in this kitchen. 😀
DeleteI must say, I love your style! I really like that soft green color and cabinet design. Both of your kitchens are very nice and your latest kitchen looks extremely functional and beautifully done. Really lovely ...... and kitchens need to be lovely imo because we spend so much time in them LOL ~ EssDee
ReplyDeleteIt feels like my current kitchen, which I also designed, has been a trial run for this new one. We are both really pleased with it. 😀
DeleteI love the style and the colour of the kitchen and agree about having a stainless steel sink. Not a thing of beauty but definitely easier to clean. Catriona
ReplyDeleteAlan chose the lovely tap, which I think makes it a bit more pleasing on the eye. ❤️
DeleteLove your new kitchen. Lots of great storage, and a stainless steel sink is so much easier to look after.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
The amount of storage is brilliant isn't it. I can't wait to start filling the cupboards and drawers up. 😀
DeleteGreat to see your kitchen pictures, especially as I am about to redesign and replace mine after 35 years. It really has lasted well except for the sink. It seems I’m not the only one to have replaced my white sink for a stainless one!
ReplyDeleteWow, yours lasted really well. ❤️ Well done on keeping it for so long. It's so much better for the environment and your finances to make good use of what you already have. 😀
DeleteWow stunning and so big! Will you be putting a dining table in there or just breathe in all that beautiful space ☺️
ReplyDeleteWe are moving in with our dining table that is currently in Alan's kitchen, but I really do think it will be too big, as it is quite chunky and rectangular. Once our finances recover a little we think we will sell this one, and then buy one that is round in shape for day to day use, but that extends to oval when we have guests. I am fed up of eating all my meals in an armchair so a table of some description is non-negotiable. :-)
DeleteThe kitchen looks super nice and spacious. Space is a very comforting luxury. I bet you can't wait to get it all done and get in. Alan can put his feet up for a while.
ReplyDeleteI will have so much cupboard space it's going to be great. :-)
Delete