Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Posh De-scaler, Random Meals and Happy Finds

 

This is possibly the poshest de-scaler that I have ever used.

My kettle was suddenly furred up, a very rare occurrence here in the north-west of England, so I rummaged in the cupboard for some bog standard vinegar.  There was none to be had, I checked Alan's under sink cupboard as he tends to have sachets of de-scaler under there, nope none at all.

So I bit the bullet and tried it with some of my very out of date Apple Cider vinegar.  Oh well better for it to be used in some way as I had never gotten around to using it much in recipes ... I hate vinegar flavours. Why had I bought it then, I have no idea!! 

It worked but it took four boilings of the kettle whereas malt or white vinegar takes two at the most.


Making Alan's dinners and teas while he has been working so hard at the bungalow, means that I am going through the contents of the freezer satisfyingly quickly.  The bottom drawer is now full of homemade items rather than convenience foods and as they are used up only a few of them are being bought again.

Fish fingers are a good emergency standby for a quick and tasty, even if slightly naughty lunch, so they will be replaced ... occasionally. 😁 


These garlic Plant Menu Kyivs are also a good standby, but I don't eat them very often these days, so again another occasional purchase from now on I think

Rummaging around definitely has it's advantages, as I found a single block of homemade soup and half a garlic baton yesterday ... it made for a very tasty lunch.


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. At least the vinegar didn't go to waste! You'd need to save a lot of scahets to have enought to descale a kettle. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, vinegar sachets are the only ones we never pick up as leftovers from café lunches. Perhaps that should change ... free descaler? 🤔 😄

      Delete
  2. Good use for vinegar that you didn't need.
    Such hard water here that vinegar doesn't work and even de-scaler takes more than one go at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be the same for us in both Oxfordshire and Berkshire. It's not good when the water is that hard is it. ☹️

      Delete
  3. I don't think that sort of apple cider vinegar goes off. It's a living thing. Very mild compared to malt vinegar. We use it daily 😋
    Luckily there's no need to descale anything here on Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually once or maybe twice a year is enough where we are. 🙂

      Delete
  4. Haha, apple cider vinegar as a descaler, what a creative emergency fix! Great that your freezer is now mostly filled with homemade meals, that sounds like a nice step toward less convenience food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me smile to at least use it for something. Why I thought I would ever use it in my cooking I have no idea. Perhaps I'll save the rest for some chutney, I have a few green tomatoes left on the plants in the garden. 😀

      Delete
  5. Clearing out the freezer is such a good idea... I found a couple of lonely meatballs yesterday which went into pasta and tomato sauce for supper last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good getting rid of all the little bits that lurk in the depths isn't it. 😀

      Delete
  6. We need to descale our motorhome kettle due to travelling in areas with different kinds of water to our own. Our house water is soft and leaves very little scaling. Well done on usi g what you had. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even thought of that when you're travelling. I guess you have some sort of water tank that you can fill up before you set off to give yourselves a head start, do you?

      Delete
    2. We do indeed although we never drink the water from it. We have 5 litre containers for drinking water which are filled up at home then on each site,

      Delete
  7. High time I did a freezer clear out, goodness knows what is languishing in there 😂
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is that whenever I make a bit of space, I seem to have the urge to fill it up. 😄

      Delete
  8. Vinegar is the answer to so many things although I loathe it on chips! The water here is really hard, we have a metal descaler ball in our kettle which seems to work. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I have never understood pouring it on chips ... who wants soggy acidic chips!! That reminds me, I have one of those somewhere, I should hunt it out. xx

      Delete
  9. I also use vinegar as a de-scaler. I have also used it to clean the chrome faucets in the bathroom.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another good use for it and one that I haven't tried yet, thanks. :-)

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.